Rewatched last season’s games and these are some observations

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I wonder why in recaps we always hear about the games we should of won and not the games we should have lost. I say the record is what it is.  

I guess I could rephrase and say it differently. Something along the lines of “We lost two very winnable games at the fault of special teams”. I’m not implying we had a better record or that we were a decent team. Far from it. I was trying to demonstrate how incredibly close to a 9-7 record we could have gotten. All that with quite frankly a pretty poorly talented offensive roster. 

6-10 last season but I think it’s very fathomable to think we take a major jump. 10-6 or 11-5 is what I think we can pull off with some decent contributions out of this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I wonder why in recaps we always hear about the games we should of won and not the games we should have lost. I say the record is what it is.  

Depending on the discussion, I think you hear about both.

The point about Clay's drop in the Miami game is a legit one.

We aren't just talking about a close game, where a few plays could have made the difference.

We are talking about one play, where Clay's inability to make a pretty routine catch was the obvious difference between 6-10 and 7-9.

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

Depending on the discussion, I think you hear about both.

The point about Clay's drop in the Miami game is a legit one.

We aren't just talking about a close game, where a few plays could have made the difference.

We are talking about one play, where Clay's inability to make a pretty routine catch was the obvious difference between 6-10 and 7-9.

I'm not saying anything wasnt legit just saying i hear this kind of talk all the time. What it does say though is that we played tough against some teams and that's a good sign of things to come. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I'm hoping with 2 burners (Brown and Foster), along with Beasley in the slot having to be accounted for, Zay is more productive.Rookie year, I give him a pass, 2nd year, the offense as a whole was a mess. Considering how bad our WR group was last year, his #'s shocked me (in a good way). Plus it's his 3rd year in the league, with a non-rookie QB this time. I think he will be a pleasant surprise. Here's to hoping. :beer:

He looked really good at times.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The run defense was exposed later in the year.

I'd bet they were in the bottom half of the league in rushing defense the last 4 to 6 games of the season.

Edmunds and the defensive line need to do a much better job. Still need some upgrades there. As of now it's a below average unit collectively, IMO.

They probably should've lost the Titans game. 

Easily couldve lost the Jacksonville game and I bet Jags fans are equally saying they should've won that game. Tide turned when Fournette was ejected as Jacksonville was about to go up 7. 

They were what they were. A 6-10 team with a 6-10 roster.

Yes. The #2 defense in the league has a below average front 7.  That sounds right. 

I don't agree with the assessment of Jones and Croom. I rewatched all the games as well and you can easily see how bad both Croom and Jones are at route running, catching and blocking. If we are making either of these players a main cog in our offense this year than bet the under. I can't see us carrying  more than 3 TE's, 2 all purpose TE and a blocking TE. If we draft a TE I'm 90% sure Croom will not make it through training camp. Both Jones and Croom are very athletic but that's all they really bring to the table. The sooner we cut the cords on both of these guys the better the Bills will be.

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Earnhardt Perkins runs on route concepts rather than the route tree.  Who ever handles those concepts best will be in those packages when the run.  You are going to see a lot of all of our WR.  

I would agree he is #4 on the depth chart which doesnt mean as much when you consider the fact he is younger than Beasley and John Brown.  Last year was the first he had a QB that could utilize the whole field.  He is also entering his third year which is the bench mark for Young WR and has improved every year.

Fair enough and all valid points. But was just saying your comparison with the edelman situation is apples and oranges.

Zay was probably the 2nd or 3rd guy on their depth chart last year, and they brought in new guys this year to upgrade the 2 and 3 spots.

Where Edelman was the number 1 and they brought in amendola and hogan to provide depth to the receiver position. Not to upgrade over Edelman.

Big difference.

27 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fair enough and all valid points. But was just saying your comparison with the edelman situation is apples and oranges.

Zay was probably the 2nd or 3rd guy on their depth chart last year, and they brought in new guys this year to upgrade the 2 and 3 spots.

Where Edelman was the number 1 and they brought in amendola and hogan to provide depth to the receiver position. Not to upgrade over Edelman.

Big difference.

1B but I expect Foster to shock some people next year by putting up top 10 numbers. Jones will put up top 20.  They are the future at WR for us.  Some people will cringe at that but you are talking about the same people who saids Woods wasnt a good WR.

10 hours ago, foreboding said:

I LOL'ed at this, but I remember that Moulds was a late bloomer as well...so who knows?

Moulds came into a bad QB situation. It was Kelly's last season, Moulds was a rookie and Kelly only threw 14 TD's before the knee injury. Moulds 2nd season was led by the trio of Alex Van Pelt, Todd Collins and Billy Joe Hobert. OUCH. Zay was a rookie with Tyrod "Throw the Damn Ball" Taylor. Last year he had Nate the Great, then a rookie QB who wasn't supposed to play last year. There is hope. 

Edited by Dopey

38 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't agree with the assessment of Jones and Croom. I rewatched all the games as well and you can easily see how bad both Croom and Jones are at route running, catching and blocking. If we are making either of these players a main cog in our offense this year than bet the under. I can't see us carrying  more than 3 TE's, 2 all purpose TE and a blocking TE. If we draft a TE I'm 90% sure Croom will not make it through training camp. Both Jones and Croom are very athletic but that's all they really bring to the table. The sooner we cut the cords on both of these guys the better the Bills will be.

Jones gets separation.  However catching is a different story.  I only am saying I think that the front office likes them more than most here. Zay was in almost all offensive snaps. I’m not sure if that’s because they think he’s got potential or if he’s the only WR out there who knows the responsibilities. There’s a lot of times you see him helping the other side outs line up correctly. Maybe from all the reshuffling of our WR corps last season they had to rely on him more. I don’t know. 

With Croom maybe they played him more because Coy was always injured so they couldn’t lean on him how they wanted to. 

Also so they were just my observations. Some thoughts sprinkled in. Everyone is welcome to their own thoughts as well. 

30 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

1B but I expect Foster to shock some people next year by putting up top 10 numbers. Jones will put up top 20.  They are the future at WR for us.  Some people will cringe at that but you are talking about the same people who saids Woods wasnt a good WR.

Top 20 for Zay Jones? Lol he should be more worried about making the team first

1 hour ago, Fred Slacks said:

Jones gets separation.  However catching is a different story.  I only am saying I think that the front office likes them more than most here. Zay was in almost all offensive snaps. I’m not sure if that’s because they think he’s got potential or if he’s the only WR out there who knows the responsibilities. There’s a lot of times you see him helping the other side outs line up correctly. Maybe from all the reshuffling of our WR corps last season they had to rely on him more. I don’t know. 

With Croom maybe they played him more because Coy was always injured so they couldn’t lean on him how they wanted to. 

Also so they were just my observations. Some thoughts sprinkled in. Everyone is welcome to their own thoughts as well. 

I agree with everything you said but I don't think Croom or Jones are going to make it past TC. The Bills are putting so much time into upgrading the WR's and TE's because last year they were god awful. 

20 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree with everything you said but I don't think Croom or Jones are going to make it past TC. The Bills are putting so much time into upgrading the WR's and TE's because last year they were god awful. 

Why would they get cut? Even if they are no longer the top 1, 2, 3, or even 4 guys, there are still spots on the roster.  Like, lets say that in addition to our free agent TE, we draft one. We still need a third. Why cut Croom? Same thing for Zay. Why are fans always so quick to cut guys? 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/7/2019 at 8:41 PM, Fred Slacks said:

Just been watching games from last season. 

1) Special teams cost us at least 2 games last season

-Texans muffed punt giving them the ball inside the 20. Texans end up scoring. This game was close all the way through. Also a blocked punt. Not sure Bojorquez is the answer at punter but we better have this sorted out. 

-Titans weird fake field goal. We end up winning this game but atrocious by all means. 

-Second game vs NY Jets blocked field goal. Haushka gets hurt on this play too. 

-Coverage unit just never was good. Hardly any punts downed inside the 20 compared to years past. 

I thought the defensive special teams were better before we released Holmes.That moves still baffles me.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Id put money on it.

71, 868 and 4TDs was 20th among WRs last season.

You admitted before that he at best is 4th on the depth chart.

What 4th receiver puts up even close to those type of numbers?

Once again, this is Not even factoring in that Duke  might overtake him on the depth chart 

On 4/12/2019 at 11:40 PM, BillsFan130 said:

You admitted before that he at best is 4th on the depth chart.

What 4th receiver puts up even close to those type of numbers?

Once again, this is Not even factoring in that Duke  might overtake him on the depth chart 

Thats right now now.  Im talking what I think he will do next season.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:59 PM, Fred Slacks said:

I personally don’t think he is amazing. I just don’t think he is as bad as he has been made out to be. Also with where they played him last season (on the perimeter and in the slot I really think they have confidence in him. He’s a movable piece and understands his responsibilities. But Robert Foster I think has a bigger role this coming season. I just think with Beasly and Brown that Zay is still in their top 4 WR’s. 

But we we can agree to disagree. It will be interesting to see how this off-season shakes out. It wouldn’t shock me if they draft a WR. I just think they draft a TE higher than WR. My personal feelings obviously. I’ve been wrong a lot in life. Lol

Min not sure that his volume of play is an endorsement of him as much as an indictment of others. 

I think hes he’s fine enough but don’t think anyone (coaches included) loves him.

• Like (+1) 1