Rewatched last season’s games and these are some observations

16 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

I personally don’t think he is amazing. I just don’t think he is as bad as he has been made out to be. Also with where they played him last season (on the perimeter and in the slot I really think they have confidence in him. He’s a movable piece and understands his responsibilities. But Robert Foster I think has a bigger role this coming season. I just think with Beasly and Brown that Zay is still in their top 4 WR’s. 

But we we can agree to disagree. It will be interesting to see how this off-season shakes out. It wouldn’t shock me if they draft a WR. I just think they draft a TE higher than WR. My personal feelings obviously. I’ve been wrong a lot in life. Lol

Worth noting that Zay Jones played in 88.9% of the offensive snaps last season. The next closest were Robert Foster (42%) and Kelvin Benjamin (48%). 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

Okay, dude, what did you do that was so bad that you had to do a penance this bad?????

Sunday sitting around and my wife and kids wanted nothing to do with me. They were still on my dvr so I just started from the beginning. I’ll admit there was a couple times I dosed off. Sunday naps are the best!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Manc- 12 personnel means two TE’s set, vs. 11 personnel is a three WR set, and 10 personnel is a 4 WR set.

I hope that helps.

More succinctly stated, the first digit is # of RBs and the second digit is # of TEs in the formation.  "11" is 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs.  "22" is 2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Sunday sitting around and my wife and kids wanted nothing to do with me. They were still on my dvr so I just started from the beginning. I’ll admit there was a couple times I dosed off. Sunday naps are the best!

this sounds heavenly.  

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Did you forget to shower?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Did you forget to shower?

I never forget to shower.  As I grow older I realized I sleep better if I just give in.  Sometimes I will brush my teeth in the evening around 8:30 or 9:00 just in case I fall asleep watching tv with the Mrs.  That way I just roll off the couch and walk straight to my bed.  Boom!

On 4/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, ScottLaw said:

Patriots offensive line had their way with our front 7 that game.

Like I said need Edmunds and Star to step up this year and they need to add a few more pieces to it on top of that.

In the first game?  Pats only had 76 rushing yards. With 3.0 ypc. Brady had a ton of yards but we were threatening down less than a score in the 4th. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, Dopey said:

The WR cupboard was bare last year, our line sucked and we started Nate the Great, and a rookie QB. Zay still had 56 rec, over 650 yds, 7 tds and 7 +20 yd receptions. Zay was not the reason we picked up the FA WRs.  The reason we got those FA WRs is:

Kelvin Benjamin,  Jeremy Kerley Andre Holmes, Rod Streater, Brandon Reilly, Robert Foster, Quan Bray, Malachi Dupre, Ray-Ray McCloud, Cam Phillips, Austin Proehl, Kaelin Clay.

I think Zay breaks out this year for over 1k yds and over 10 tds.

Zay has been up and down.  This needs to be a good year for him. 

I wonder how the improved competition will affect him.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:15 AM, machine gun kelly said:

You make a good point as he won’t be on the field as much.  Daboll plays a lot of 12 personnel, so we’ll have if we can draft one of the top 3 TE’s, there will be less WR’s on the field.  Brown and Foster as well as Beasley will be the top 3, not in that order necessarily, so Jones is going to be in more when in 11 personnel, a single back so we have 4 wides in on the play.  He’ll probably contribute more in special teams.

I see a lot of rotation in the WRs this year especially early.  Let JA find out who he works best with.

I can see Foster and Brown rotating and spelling each other.  It would put pressure on the CB/FS.

On 4/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, Fred Slacks said:

6) Allen’s jump from the first half to the second half is a stark difference. His pocket awareness and lack of sacks in the second half are markedly improved. Makes my confidence in his growth that much higher after watching the games again. 

When he came back after the injury, he had made a big leap. It was obvious. 

I can't wait for this season!

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/7/2019 at 8:48 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Good post. To nitpick though, I definitely disagree about Zay Jones. 

Jones is bad in my opinion and I think this regime is starting to lose faith in him.

I think that is a big reason they added Duke, Beasley, and Brown

You would also be disagreeing with the guys whos get to make that decision.  

-They added Duke because we had no big WR.

-They added Beasley and Brown to have a larger arsenal, or do you think NE had Hogan and Amendola because they didnt like Edelman.?

56 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You would also be disagreeing with the guys whos get to make that decision.  

-They added Duke because we had no big WR.

-They added Beasley and Brown to have a larger arsenal, or do you think NE had Hogan and Amendola because they didnt like Edelman.?

Completely different scenario.

Edelman was number 1 on the depth chart and they added those guys to assist/compliment him.

Zay is not even close to number 1 on the depth chart and they didn’t add those guys to compliment him.

Zay at BEST right now is number 4 on the depth chart behind Beasley brown and foster. Then you have him fighting with Duke, Mccloud, Mackenzie Etc. For the 4th and 5th spot.

Sorry but your example with the edelman situation doesn’t compare at all to Zays situation. Completely different

Edited by BillsFan130

On 4/8/2019 at 3:41 AM, Fred Slacks said:

Just been watching games from last season. 

1) Special teams cost us at least 2 games last season

-Texans muffed punt giving them the ball inside the 20. Texans end up scoring. This game was close all the way through. Also a blocked punt. Not sure Bojorquez is the answer at punter but we better have this sorted out. 

-Titans weird fake field goal. We end up winning this game but atrocious by all means. 

-Second game vs NY Jets blocked field goal. Haushka gets hurt on this play too. 

-Coverage unit just never was good. Hardly any punts downed inside the 20 compared to years past. 

2) Defense was good but not nearly as dominant as our 2nd ranking showed. 

-We need to improve pass rush and severely our run defense. DT and DE should both be in serious play at #1 draft spot

3) Charles Clay/TE’a were featured but either bad throws or couldn’t make plays. 

-I think Croom is a bigger part of their plans this season. 

-I also think TE is more coveted than we are giving this front office credit for. Maybe not at first pick but I think it will be in the first 3 rounds for sure. If I were a betting man I’d put money down. 

4) Offensive line was bad. Really bad. Getting stood up when they should be pushing on run plays. Getting walked back into the QB on pass plays. I believe we we have improved greatly here. However once again I wonder with all the 1 year contracts if this regime is posturing to make other clubs doubt our desire to draft OL in the first round. With the solidifying of the line I’m very confident McCoy looks 2017 form. The poor old man was getting hit behind the LOS at a ridiculously high rate. Also this should improve Josh Allen’s passing (for obvious reasons). 

5) Zay Jones is liked  by this regime. He hardly ever isn’t in on offense. Also he seems to get decent separation. I don’t think this kid is going anywhere unless he gets naked in a hotel hallway again. That being said I want another playmaker at WR personally. I’m just not sure our front office sees it as big of a need. I have a feeling TE is a higher priority in their eyes. Zay made more plays than this board seems to give him credit for. The Titan game alone he converted multiple third downs. They were just very short yardage completions. 

6) Allen’s jump from the first half to the second half is a stark difference. His pocket awareness and lack of sacks in the second half are markedly improved. Makes my confidence in his growth that much higher after watching the games again. 

7) I feel like FA was even more successful for our team after watching these games again. Also the fact that we’ve met with Ziggy Ansah gives me more confidence in this front office. I do think he is still in play if they don’t land a DE in the top of the draft. FA was definitely designed to give them flexibility in their selection at 9 if they stay there. 

8) Good Gravy I cant believe Nathan Peterman will ever get another shot in the NFL. Head scratcher. Have to believe eve we are significantly improved by not ever having someone like that take a snap here at all. 

Those are are my main points I took away. I’m sure there are more to be taken from it. It’s really hard not to be optimistic about Josh Allen. Especially knowing he will be getting the necessary reps with his WR’s. But imagine this: Bills win the Texans and Jets game. Also the other Dolphin game. That’s a 9-7 season same as the year before. Imagine this on top of that: Josh Allen is healthy for a whole season and we have a decent run game and a top 5 defense. I think that is what we are looking at this season and I feel 10-6 or 11-5 is not an unrealistic expectation. 

I wonder why in recaps we always hear about the games we should of won and not the games we should have lost. I say the record is what it is.  

I think Zay will be fine.  He seemed to be more effective when Foster was inserted into the lineup.  Zay is not a # 1 but he can be a very good #2, 3.  He needs other WR talent around him and it looks like the Bills will have a better WR corp than what they had last year.  Also, if Bills can get a decent running game going, everyone on offense will benefit.  With the additions to the OL, I am hopeful that the running game will be greatly improved.  If not, it will be another long year.

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Completely different scenario.

Edelman was number 1 on the depth chart and they added those guys to assist/compliment him.

Zay is not even close to number 1 on the depth chart and they didn’t add those guys to compliment him.

Zay at BEST right now is number 4 on the depth chart behind Beasley brown and foster. Then you have him fighting with Duke, Mccloud, Mackenzie Etc. For the 4th and 5th spot.

Sorry but your example with the edelman situation doesn’t compare at all to Zays situation. Completely different

Earnhardt Perkins runs on route concepts rather than the route tree.  Who ever handles those concepts best will be in those packages when the run.  You are going to see a lot of all of our WR.  

I would agree he is #4 on the depth chart which doesnt mean as much when you consider the fact he is younger than Beasley and John Brown.  Last year was the first he had a QB that could utilize the whole field.  He is also entering his third year which is the bench mark for Young WR and has improved every year.

14 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Earnhardt Perkins runs on route concepts rather than the route tree.  Who ever handles those concepts best will be in those packages when the run.  You are going to see a lot of all of our WR.  

I would agree he is #4 on the depth chart which doesnt mean as much when you consider the fact he is younger than Beasley and John Brown.  Last year was the first he had a QB that could utilize the whole field.  He is also entering his third year which is the bench mark for Young WR and has improved every year.

He is in make or break territory the moment camp opens. He is not a lock for this roster. He probably makes it but a bad camp and pre-season would leave him in trouble. Unless he takes a significant stride this year he is likely off the team next year.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is in make or break territory the moment camp opens. He is not a lock for this roster. He probably makes it but a bad camp and pre-season would leave him in trouble. Unless he takes a significant stride this year he is likely off the team next year.

Dont disagree with that at all.  He will be on the Roster this year unless they find Two other WRs.  If he were to be gone this year it would be due to a trade or a really bad camp.  (I doubt will happen)

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Zay has been up and down.  This needs to be a good year for him. 

I wonder how the improved competition will affect him.

I see a lot of rotation in the WRs this year especially early.  Let JA find out who he works best with.

I can see Foster and Brown rotating and spelling each other.  It would put pressure on the CB/FS.

I'm hoping with 2 burners (Brown and Foster), along with Beasley in the slot having to be accounted for, Zay is more productive.Rookie year, I give him a pass, 2nd year, the offense as a whole was a mess. Considering how bad our WR group was last year, his #'s shocked me (in a good way). Plus it's his 3rd year in the league, with a non-rookie QB this time. I think he will be a pleasant surprise. Here's to hoping. :beer:

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1