Rewatched last season’s games and these are some observations

Just been watching games from last season. 

1) Special teams cost us at least 2 games last season

-Texans muffed punt giving them the ball inside the 20. Texans end up scoring. This game was close all the way through. Also a blocked punt. Not sure Bojorquez is the answer at punter but we better have this sorted out. 

-Titans weird fake field goal. We end up winning this game but atrocious by all means. 

-Second game vs NY Jets blocked field goal. Haushka gets hurt on this play too. 

-Coverage unit just never was good. Hardly any punts downed inside the 20 compared to years past. 

2) Defense was good but not nearly as dominant as our 2nd ranking showed. 

-We need to improve pass rush and severely our run defense. DT and DE should both be in serious play at #1 draft spot

3) Charles Clay/TE’a were featured but either bad throws or couldn’t make plays. 

-I think Croom is a bigger part of their plans this season. 

-I also think TE is more coveted than we are giving this front office credit for. Maybe not at first pick but I think it will be in the first 3 rounds for sure. If I were a betting man I’d put money down. 

4) Offensive line was bad. Really bad. Getting stood up when they should be pushing on run plays. Getting walked back into the QB on pass plays. I believe we we have improved greatly here. However once again I wonder with all the 1 year contracts if this regime is posturing to make other clubs doubt our desire to draft OL in the first round. With the solidifying of the line I’m very confident McCoy looks 2017 form. The poor old man was getting hit behind the LOS at a ridiculously high rate. Also this should improve Josh Allen’s passing (for obvious reasons). 

5) Zay Jones is liked  by this regime. He hardly ever isn’t in on offense. Also he seems to get decent separation. I don’t think this kid is going anywhere unless he gets naked in a hotel hallway again. That being said I want another playmaker at WR personally. I’m just not sure our front office sees it as big of a need. I have a feeling TE is a higher priority in their eyes. Zay made more plays than this board seems to give him credit for. The Titan game alone he converted multiple third downs. They were just very short yardage completions. 

6) Allen’s jump from the first half to the second half is a stark difference. His pocket awareness and lack of sacks in the second half are markedly improved. Makes my confidence in his growth that much higher after watching the games again. 

7) I feel like FA was even more successful for our team after watching these games again. Also the fact that we’ve met with Ziggy Ansah gives me more confidence in this front office. I do think he is still in play if they don’t land a DE in the top of the draft. FA was definitely designed to give them flexibility in their selection at 9 if they stay there. 

8) Good Gravy I cant believe Nathan Peterman will ever get another shot in the NFL. Head scratcher. Have to believe eve we are significantly improved by not ever having someone like that take a snap here at all. 

Those are are my main points I took away. I’m sure there are more to be taken from it. It’s really hard not to be optimistic about Josh Allen. Especially knowing he will be getting the necessary reps with his WR’s. But imagine this: Bills win the Texans and Jets game. Also the other Dolphin game. That’s a 9-7 season same as the year before. Imagine this on top of that: Josh Allen is healthy for a whole season and we have a decent run game and a top 5 defense. I think that is what we are looking at this season and I feel 10-6 or 11-5 is not an unrealistic expectation. 

Edited by Fred Slacks
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 14

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Good post. To nitpick though, I definitely disagree about Zay Jones. 

Jones is bad in my opinion and I think this regime is starting to lose faith in him.

I think that is a big reason they added Duke, Beasley, and Brown

I personally don’t think he is amazing. I just don’t think he is as bad as he has been made out to be. Also with where they played him last season (on the perimeter and in the slot I really think they have confidence in him. He’s a movable piece and understands his responsibilities. But Robert Foster I think has a bigger role this coming season. I just think with Beasly and Brown that Zay is still in their top 4 WR’s. 

But we we can agree to disagree. It will be interesting to see how this off-season shakes out. It wouldn’t shock me if they draft a WR. I just think they draft a TE higher than WR. My personal feelings obviously. I’ve been wrong a lot in life. Lol

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Jones is bad in my opinion and I think this regime is starting to lose faith in him.

I think Zay will surpass a 1000 yards next year

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

-Texans muffed pint giving them the ball inside the 20. Texans end up scoring. This game was close all the way through. Also a blocked punt. Not sure Bojorquez is the answer at punter but we better have this sorted out. 

-Titans weird fake field goal. We end up winning this game but atrocious by all means. 

-Coverage unit just never was good. Hardly any punts downed inside the 20 compared to years past. 

-We need to improve pass rush and severely out run defense. DT and DE should both be in serious play at #1 draft spot

3) Charles Clay/TE’a were featured but either bad throws or couldn’t make plays. 

-I also think TE is more coveted than we are giving this front office credit for. Maybe not at first pick but I think it will be in the first 3 rounds for sure. If I were a betting man I’d put money down. 

4) Offensive line was bad. Really bad. Getting stood up when they should be pushing on run plays. Getting walked back into the QB on pass plays. I believe we we have improved greatly here. However once again I wonder with all the 1 year contracts if this regime is posturing to make other clubs doubt our desire to draft OL in the first round. With the solidifying of the line I’m very confident McCoy looks 2017 form. The poor old man was getting hit behind the LOS at a ridiculously high rate. Also this should improve Josh Allen’s passing (for obvious reasons). 

5) Zay Jones is likes by this regime. He hardly ever isn’t in on offense. Also he seems to get decent separation. I don’t think this kid is going anywhere unless he gets naked in a hotel hallway again. That being said I want another playmaker at WR personally. I’m just not sure our front office sees it as big of a need. I have a feeling TE is a higher priority in their eyes. Zay made more plays than this board seems to give him credit for. The Titan game alone he converted multiple third downs. They were just very short yardage completions. 

6) Allen’s jump from the first half to the second half is a stark difference. His pocket awareness and lack of sacks in the second half are markedly improved. Makes my confidence in his growth that much higher after watching the games again. 

7) I feel like FA was even more successful for our team after watching these games again. Also the fact that we’ve met with Ziggy Ansah gives me more confidence in this front office. I do think he is still in play if they don’t land a DE in the top of the draft. FA was definitely designed to give them flexibility in their selection at 9 if they stay there. 

8) Good Garvey I cant believe Nathan Peterman will ever get another shot in the NFL. Head scratcher. Have to believe eve we are significantly improved by not ever having someone like that take a snap here at all. 

Those are are my main points I took away. I’m sure there are more to be taken from it. It’s really hard not to be optimistic about Josh Allen. Especially knowing he will be getting the necessary reps with his WR’s. But imagine this: Bills win the Texans and Jets game. Also the other Dolphin game. That’s a 9-7 season same as the year before. Imagine this on top of that: Josh Allen is healthy for a whole season and we have a decent run game and a top 5 defense. I think that is what we are looking at this season and I feel 10-6 or 11-5 is not an unrealistic expectation. 

I 100% agree. This team is closer than people realize.  I really believe winning the afc East is not out of the question.  The special teams were atrocious last year and the running game was dependant on Allen.  The addition of E.J. Gaines is huge not only because of his passport coverage but his ability to play the run. Replacing Kyle Williams is going to be key.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Are you off your rocker? ?

Yes he is. Zay had a fluky 7 TDs but even in his best games, see at Miami, he had critical drops. I was always baffled by a trade up in the draft for a receiver with no outstanding qualities and his best quality in college, his hands, are even suspect. 

11 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Are you off your rocker? ?

If the front office Believes in him then I wouldn’t be shocked. He can produce and there’s no reason to think he will take a step back in his third year after showing improvement from year one to year two. Also he seems to have the work ethic this front office looks for. 

5 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Yes he is. Zay had a fluky 7 TDs but even in his best games, see at Miami, he had critical drops. I was always baffled by a trade up in the draft for a receiver with no outstanding qualities and his best quality in college, his hands, are even suspect. 

His TD vs the Texans was about as clutch of a moment in the game as it comes. 

Also so his entire performance vs the Dolphins (1st game) was all during critical moments of the game albeit he did have a TD drop/miscommunication with Josh.

Additionally if you go back and watch the Titans game he picks up critical third downs. They are just all very short yardage situations.

Plus they have him in on some max protection passes. I’m telling you they think highly of the kid. If our O-line can pass block then I see no reason he doesn’t show up improved on the stat sheet this season. 

Edited by Fred Slacks
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

...Also he seems to have the work ethic this front office looks for. 

So did Peterman but he just did not have ‘it’.

Hopefully, Zay continues to improve. But if he drops a couple of passes in preseason games, he will not be on the Bills roster. There may be some foreboding if the Bills draft a WR in the early rounds.

The offensive line was really beyond bad. That's one of the worst ones I've ever seen here. So many blown up runs, QB's running for their lives, total inability to execute screens and draws etc That's why I thought it was so unfair to judge Allen off of last year. He had to be their running game and lead the passing attack. It should be improved this year but I'd still like more than guys fighting to be starters. Quality linemen on both sides of the ball in the early rounds would make me happiest.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

I totally agree with this. I guess his best "quality" in college was his phenomenal production (399 receptions is crazy) albeit at a smaller college program. But yeah, the trade up still made no sense whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Zay is definitely on a short leash.  Crossman's unit easily cost us 2 games. 8-8 with a rookie QB is very commendable. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I think Zay last year was working against opponents first and second corners. This year he will be matched against third and fourth corners. I think we will see a big difference. 

Well, that’s certainly encouraging.

1 hour ago, Fred Slacks said:

To be fair, if you're gonna talk about the games we almost won, then let's talk about the ones we almost lost.  The game against the Titans, the Lions, and the Jags comes to mind.  If not for the fight and ejection of Leonard Fournette, we could've easily lost against Jax.  The Lions were a missed FG away from beating us.  "We were who we thought we were!"

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

To be fair, if you're gonna talk about the games we almost won, then let's talk about the ones we almost lost.  The game against the Titans, the Lions, and the Jags comes to mind.  If not for the fight and ejection of Leonard Fournette, we could've easily lost against Jax.  The Lions were a missed FG away from beating us.  "We were who we thought we were!"

All valid. I realize it can easily go both ways. But we were close in those games. 

On the other hand we got beat handily by the Ravens, Chargers, Green Bay, and Chicago. The optimist in me sees improvement throughout the season and I’m not saying anything is a for sure thing. Just saying I think we are trending in the right direction and this front office seems to see the issues that the fans see as well. Unlike previous front offices who would make bizarre offseason moves. 

3 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

All valid. I realize it can easily go both ways. But we were close in those games. 

On the other hand we got beat handily by the Ravens, Chargers, Green Bay, and Chicago. The optimist in me sees improvement throughout the season and I’m not saying anything is a for sure thing. Just saying I think we are trending in the right direction and this front office seems to see the issues that the fans see as well. Unlike previous front offices who would make bizarre offseason moves. 

The Ravens game was a combo of bad D and O.  The Chargers game was bad O and first half bad D (thanks Vontae Davis for the inspiration!).  Green Bay?  Oof dah.  Chicago was the Nate Peterman nightmare, 3.0 game.  The Colts, Leonard Fournette, and rematch with the Paytoilets were all games where our run D and/or tackling was embarrassing.  2nd ranked defense?  I don't see it.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that ST's was bad and put us in bad positions......good teams win games where ST's mistakes are made.

-Texans muffed punt giving them the ball inside the 20. Texans end up scoring. This game was close all the way through. Also a blocked punt. Not sure Bojorquez is the answer at punter but we better have this sorted out. 

The problem is for some reason our run defense let us down.....I think the next step of that evolution is to fix that.   Another thing that fixes that is improving the offense to get a lead and force teams to stop running the ball because they need big plays.

-We need to improve pass rush and severely our run defense. DT and DE should both be in serious play at #1 draft spot

It was due mostly to TE's not making plays

I am not convinced Croom is the answer

The problems REALLY start right there

5) Zay Jones is liked  by this regime. He hardly ever isn’t in on offense. Also he seems to get decent separation. I don’t think this kid is going anywhere unless he gets naked in a hotel hallway again. That being said I want another playmaker at WR personally. I’m just not sure our front office sees it as big of a need. I have a feeling TE is a higher priority in their eyes. Zay made more plays than this board seems to give him credit for. The Titan game alone he converted multiple third downs. They were just very short yardage completions. 

I also think he is in play......I think that if Oliver drops they are going to sign Ziggy to a team friendly deal.....and our DE's are going to feast because of the interior pressor of this DL

8) Good Gravy I cant believe Nathan Peterman will ever get another shot in the NFL. Head scratcher. Have to believe eve we are significantly improved by not ever having someone like that take a snap here at all. 

One of the few McBeane warts of a decision

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

The WR cupboard was bare last year, our line sucked and we started Nate the Great, and a rookie QB. Zay still had 56 rec, over 650 yds, 7 tds and 7 +20 yd receptions. Zay was not the reason we picked up the FA WRs.  The reason we got those FA WRs is:

Kelvin Benjamin,  Jeremy Kerley Andre Holmes, Rod Streater, Brandon Reilly, Robert Foster, Quan Bray, Malachi Dupre, Ray-Ray McCloud, Cam Phillips, Austin Proehl, Kaelin Clay.

I think Zay breaks out this year for over 1k yds and over 10 tds.

• Like (+1) 4