Boy name too girly?

CoachT

There is precedent.

I was born in South Buffalo and swam in local waterways as well.

Had a non gender specific neighbor named "Cazenovia."

We called it "Nove," and it was never selected during youth sporting contests.

Our oldest is named "Lasagna."

Folks can figure out why, but those fine Italian dinners lead to "activities."

Best thing we ever did for him though.

All the girls would say "I'm going out with tonight's special....Lasagna"

Edited by sherpa

10 hours ago, CoachT said:

My own name is Nima which is an actual girls name in some countries. I never really got bullied.

I had to stab a kid with a fork in grade 1 but that was because he was trying to take my food.

I think that Caspian is pretty much a gender neutral name like Bailey, Cody, Casey, Harper, etc.   So many more children have unusual names these days than in the past that kids don't care much about their classmates'/friends' unusual names -- unless they have Neanderthal parent(s) who stupidly make a big deal about other kids' names.

Was told to prepare for nicknames, I imagine Casper is at least one obvious one. 

See how the initials line up. There was a kid who’s nickname was ‘Lavy’... his initials were WC!

We ended up whittling the list to 5 boy names and 5 girl names we both agreed on. & with  the birth of # 1- we named her something not on the list... sometimes looking at the kid will invoke a name that’s not on the list. 

What ever the name is, the kid will likely grow into it anyways. My sister’s kid is called Freya. She’s now 5’10” with snow white blonde hair, but Freya was an unusual name at the time.

My brother now lives in Georgia and his daughter is called Tara... see Gone with the Wind!

...don’t ask me, my boys are for real, called Thomas Thurman and Henry Jones... (my wife thinks Thurman is a great grand relative!)

Known a few Polish folk (& almost a friendly ghost) called Kaspar.

https://youtu.be/-n7gNLQoG6Y

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think that Caspian is pretty much a gender neutral name like Bailey, Cody, Casey, Harper, etc.   So many more children have unusual names these days than in the past that kids don't care much about their classmates'/friends' unusual names -- unless they have Neanderthal parent(s) who stupidly make a big deal about other kids' names.

???

No.  The US has a long history of unusual names thing.  It's just the mid-20th century that we went all "normal name thing."  Old days... May have been obscure biblical names mixed in with the weirdness, especially by the Puritans.

2 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Was told to prepare for nicknames, I imagine Casper is at least one obvious one. 

See how the initials line up. There was a kid who’s nickname was ‘Lavy’... his initials were WC!

We ended up whittling the list to 5 boy names and 5 girl names we both agreed on. & with  the birth of # 1- we named her something not on the list... sometimes looking at the kid will invoke a name that’s not on the list. 

What ever the name is, the kid will likely grow into it anyways. My sister’s kid is called Freya. She’s now 5’10” with snow white blonde hair, but Freya was an unusual name at the time.

My brother now lives in Georgia and his daughter is called Tara... see Gone with the Wind!

...don’t ask me, my boys are for real, called Thomas Thurman and Henry Jones... (my wife thinks Thurman is a great grand relative!)

Known a few Polish folk (& almost a friendly ghost) called Kaspar.

https://youtu.be/-n7gNLQoG6Y

Caz.

Casimir (Kazimierz) is probably a derivation of Caspian.

Anybody with the Narnia tales?  Prince Caspian?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 2

Cash is pretty cool, use Caspian for the birth certificate only make Cash is unofficial name from day 1.  Cas might be a bit too feminine, but that decision has to be you and your wife

13 hours ago, CoachT said:

I wanna call him Cash and eventually Cash Money .. But wife is thinking Cas

Caspian will probably be shortened to Cas.

When I see a male "Cas" I think Cassius. Which is very manly.

At the very least your son's name will have a strong meaning and you put plenty of thought into it. 

We did the same with our son but went more biblical despite not being overly religious. 

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think of Prince Caspian from the Narnia books when I hear the name Caspian (oh, and the Caspian Sea).  I have no idea why anyone would think of Caspian as a feminine name. ?‍♀️

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy. :)

that was my first thought too.

you just have to go with what you like when it comes to first names.  they may sound different at first, but after a few months you don't even notice.  

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Bailey and Harper are 100% girl names.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Caz.

Casimir (Kazimierz) is probably a derivation of Caspian.

Anybody with the Narnia tales?  Prince Caspian?

Caz is what I was thinking, too, and I think that's a cool name.

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think if you’re going to name your kid after a lake, then you might as well go with Superior 

Erie

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Bailey and Harper are 100% girl names.

Caz is what I was thinking, too, and I think that's a cool name.