Boy name too girly?

CoachT

We are expecting our first boy, and are thinking Caspian for the name. I was born in Iran and have swam in the Caspian Sea(which is actually a lake). Its the biggest lake in the work and it's actually a salt water lake.

We both really like the name but wonder if it's a little too girlie... Is it?

2 minutes ago, CoachT said:

We are expecting our first boy, and are thinking Caspian for the name. I was born in Iran and have swam in the Caspian Sea(which is actually a lake). Its the biggest lake in the work and it's actually a salt water lake.

We both really like the name but wonder if it's a little too girlie... Is it?

Can't go wrong with Joseph. Solid name.

• Haha (+1) 1

Before my nephew was born, my sister and brother-in-law were considering the name "Hoagy Carmichael."  To which I said "Why don't you just name him 'Please beat me up and take my lunch money' instead?"  (My second observation was "If you're naming him after a sandwich, why not just name him 'Philly Cheesesteak?'")

Not that I'm saying "Caspian" is a bad name...just that parents should consider whether or not the name they choose places an undue burden on the child growing up with that name.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I wouldnt have thought of that name for a girl. It's not a common name around here but compared to many names today, i dont think it would get someone picked on or beat up, there will probably be 5-6 kids in his class with names that will get them beat up.

As for names, it seems that for boys you worry about whether they will get beat up, for a girl you wonder if it will lead to a 'dance' career.....

My own name is Nima which is an actual girls name in some countries. I never really got bullied.

I had to stab a kid with a fork in grade 1 but that was because he was trying to take my food.

20 minutes ago, CoachT said:

My own name is Nima which is an actual girls name in some countries. I never really got bullied.

I had to stab a kid with a fork in grade 1 but that was because he was trying to take my food.

I don't really think he left you any choice, did he?

Cool name, if you like it, and it holds meaning for you, full speed ahead.  I was just telling my sons Wherle and Mangpool the same thing about their future children. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think of Prince Caspian from the Narnia books when I hear the name Caspian (oh, and the Caspian Sea).  I have no idea why anyone would think of Caspian as a feminine name. ?‍♀️

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy. :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CoachT said:

I wanna call him Cash and eventually Cash Money .. But wife is thinking Cas

Caspian is different, I don't think it's girly. IMO the person makes the name, not vice versa. I wasn't a big fan of either of my boys names, but now I can't imagine them as any other name. 

As to Cash and Cash Money, good luck with that. I have a good friend who wanted a Jimmy. He didn't care for the name James but went with it figuring Jimmy would catch on. It didn't. A neighbor's son was the third Karl but he wanted to call him Trip. That didn't make it past elementary school. If you want to call your son Cash, name him Cash. If you want to call him Cash Money, reconsider.

Whatever you decide to name him, all the best to you and your wife!

Edited by SinceThe70s