The Bills Will Be Everyone's "Sleeper" Pick

H2o

Even Stevie Wonder can see the Bills have made vast improvements to various positions this offseason. The OL was addressed aggressively and thoroughly via FA. We are clearly better and deeper along the OL than we were last year at this time. The addition of Gaines once again to the defensive back field is huge as well imo. He excelled here when healthy the first tour of duty. As of right now we are already starting to get some love from various media personalities for the job Beane and McDermott are doing. Now we have 10 picks coming up in the draft in about 2 weeks. Let the Bills have what is recognized as a good draft and everyone, everywhere is going to be jumping the bandwagon. All of the media types are going to be picking the Bills as a "sleeper" in the AFC. 

Edited by H2o

The Bills will be completely overlooked and not discussed as always. Nothing has changed nationally. Nothing. 

90% of people outside bills mafia don’t know anything about the team. 

Free agency is 100% overlooked. We didn’t get Antonio brown or bell, no other superstars.. So we are clearly a much worse team than the jets browns and raiders. 

Bills will get zero love and basically most of the shows on tv people watch those guys will actually have to look up new bills players to even discuss them on tv. 

They will need to start out 4-0 or Allen light the world on fire or something to even get noticed. Which is fine and how I personally like it. 

I get the optimism. We have a young QB with huge potential, signed a number of quality free agents, and have solid draft capital. 

HOWEVER, we haven't won 10 games since 1999! Much like the Chiefs and Jags, nobody is going to care about the Bills until we start WINNING.

Praise/ridicule from the media is irrelevant. The last time we got serious press(other than Rex which had nothing to do with the Bills) was probably 2003. We started 2-0 and had what looked like the makings of a interesting team with a defense featuring Takeo Spikes/Fletcher/Adams. Drew Bledsoe was still considered a prolific QB. Then we went and laid an egg against the Dolphins on MNF and finished the season 6-10. So while I understand it would be nice to hear positive takes regarding the Bills offseason, none of it will determine whether we succeed or fail. 

After that 2003 experience, I'd prefer they remain under the radar.

• Like (+1) 1

Probably not. We'll get some respect if we make the playoffs AND win a playoff game, or if somehow we win the division with the Pats and Brady still playing well.

Winning cures everything. Hope we have a good season!

40 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

The Bills will be completely overlooked and not discussed as always. Nothing has changed nationally. Nothing. 

90% of people outside bills mafia don’t know anything about the team. 

Free agency is 100% overlooked. We didn’t get Antonio brown or bell, no other superstars.. So we are clearly a much worse team than the jets browns and raiders. 

Bills will get zero love and basically most of the shows on tv people watch those guys will actually have to look up new bills players to even discuss them on tv. 

They will need to start out 4-0 or Allen light the world on fire or something to even get noticed. Which is fine and how I personally like it. 

How else will they learn of them? How did you learn about these players or other teams signings? You looked them up and studied.

We have certainly had a decent FA season with Morse, Gaines, Nsekhe, Kroft, Spain and the three WRs all signed to reasonable deals and complementing each other. With a good draft (DL, TE, OL, RB, LB Depth), we would have a competitive team on paper. 

McClappy, Allen and Edmunds still have to win on the field. But McD's past record (how he spoilt Beane's plans by making the playoffs in 2017 and also overperformed relative to expectations last season with the gutted roster) makes me very optimistic.  

Everyone's Sleeper Pick perfect oxymoron. In that vein, Bills gonna be terribly good this year.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Even Stevie Wonder can see the Bills have made vast improvements to various positions this offseason. The OL was addressed aggressively and thoroughly via FA. We are clearly better and deeper along the OL than we were last year at this time. The addition of Gaines once again to the defensive back field is huge as well imo. He excelled here when healthy the first tour of duty. As of right now we are already starting to get some love from various media personalities for the job Beane and McDermott are doing. Now we have 10 picks coming up in the draft in about 2 weeks. Let the Bills have what is recognized as a good draft and everyone, everywhere is going to be jumping the bandwagon. All of the media types are going to be picking the Bills as a "sleeper" in the AFC. 

That didn't take much doing.

I can kind of see where this is coming from sure the idea of everyone having them as their sleeper pick seems like an oxy-moron, but a sleeper pick is basically what a team that you think people wouldn't normally think of being good coming out of nowhere. So I can see why people might think of the Bills as a team in position to be that. They have a young second year Quarterback and have made a lot of free agency at positions of weakness and were pretty solid on D. So while it might not work out and there's no guarantee I can see why people would think of Buffalo as a team where something could potentially happen.

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Maybe this went over your head a little bit. 

No, it was just a typical 'buffalo, nobody respects us' whining.  You don't think anyone knows who Cole Beasley is? John Brown? Frank Gore? Mitch Morse? 

I've read articles stating the Bills had a great free agency period, but according to you the national media doesn't pay attention.

7 hours ago, klos63 said:

No, it was just a typical 'buffalo, nobody respects us' whining.  You don't think anyone knows who Cole Beasley is? John Brown? Frank Gore? Mitch Morse? 

I've read articles stating the Bills had a great free agency period, but according to you the national media doesn't pay attention.

Watch and see. When the season kicks off all the national media personalities on the pre game shows and halftime etc etc the ESPN and NFL network crews will all completely bypass the Bills. The only way they get any love is Allen doing something like Mahomes last year or a red hot 4-0 start or something. 

I’m not sure how it’s typical whining when I said I prefer them to be overlooked.. I generally hate when teams get too hyped up all over tv they get annoying. I think Beane hit major homeruns this free agency as do a lot of buffalo fans. My point was on tv it’ll be all about the jets, and browns, and raiders, and the usual top teams. They won’t be talking about buffalo and all those nice moves you mention, unless they’re completely on fire or we march into the playoffs then they’ll get some love 

A fair amount of the guys covering the NFL bashed the Allen pick hard enough that walking it back this soon would be a bad look for their own brand. I expect to see a bunch of well... “if they had a QB”

Those guys won’t back peddle until the wins are on the board. The Nick Wrights of the world.