You say you're all for BPA, but do you mean it?

Logic

I think free agency has gotten us to a point we don't have any glaring needs.   We certainly don't have Pro Bowlers at every position but we have reasonable NFL starters almost across the board.   Beane's in a position where he doesn't have to reach or trade up for a position of need.

We don't need starters per se in the draft - we need impact players.  And we could use an impact player in almost any position group.  

Beane will probably entertain trades when there's value in it.  If he sees a potential Pro Bowler sliding a bit, he may trade up to nab him.  Or he may trade down with a partner that offers a deal too good to refuse.  

Free agent impact players are typically expensive.  Beane needs to find them in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In your scenario you are choosing between at 8.8 tackle (case A) and an 8.8 guard (case B). You have two 8.8 tackles already so of course you choose the guard. But if the choice was the 8.8 tackle or another 7.0 guard I'm taking the tackle.

What if the choice was between a "7.7" tackle and a "7.6" guard?  BPA? or improve the team?

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think free agency has gotten us to a point we don't have any glaring needs.   We certainly don't have Pro Bowlers at every position but we have reasonable NFL starters almost across the board.   Beane's in a position where he doesn't have to reach or trade up for a position of need.

We don't need starters per se in the draft - we need impact players.  And we could use an impact player in almost any position group.  

Beane will probably entertain trades when there's value in it.  If he sees a potential Pro Bowler sliding a bit, he may trade up to nab him.  Or he may trade down with a partner that offers a deal too good to refuse.  

Free agent impact players are typically expensive.  Beane needs to find them in this draft.

I agree.  The first couple of rounds you go for high ceiling/high floor guy.  It cost you a lot of draft points, but it is cheap on dollars- contract and length of rookie contract help you here.  The lower rounds go for high ceiling/ whatever-floor guys.  Just not nut cases or lazy players.  Hope to get lucky.  We are after impact players in the draft.  They cost too much as FA's or in trades.

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

What if the choice was between a "7.7" tackle and a "7.6" guard?  BPA? or improve the team?

They are likely in the same tier and therefore there are circumstances where you would take the guard and be justified in doing so. Nobody has ever said that when players are in the same tier positional need doesn't come into play. But it depends where the tiers are on your draft board.

Just as a practical example based on my current 2019 board. I have Christian Wilkins graded 0.1 point higher than Jonah Williams but they are to my mind in the same tier. I can accept someone saying "I need an offensive tackle more than a defensive tackle I will take Williams. Ed Oliver is 0.5 points ahead of Wilkins and 0.6 ahead of Jonah. If it came down to Oliver vs Williams then I am taking Oliver every single time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, Beane actually said something about this. I think what he said was that he didn't feel any pressure to get a dlineman in free agency because dline was so deep in the draft that he was comfortable that one would fall to him somewhere along the way.

He was clear that his objective was to fill all his needs in free agency, and he did that.  He didn't mean he will value d lineman above other positions when the draft comes because he has a need. 

The key is that one falls to him.  He'd still be picking at value.  But generally, if he didnt feel that, he would've signed one.  That's the point- in BPA world you fill all holes in FA (put an average or better starter there) and then you really CAN go after BPA.  In this case, even if you go for, say, a CB, and they pan out, why not?  If they somehow become better than what you have, great, trade the other top-end CB.  If they become really good, trade them, or replace an equal vet with their contract.  Save money to pay your own, or acquire assets to get a guy who's BPA AND fills a need next year.  Of course assuming you stick to the right value and can make trades, etc.  I think straight BPA is absolutely feasible.

I´ll be ok with the pick because it truly means they went BPA, we would not be able to find out how far away the players would be on their bord, but if BPA and need are similar you go and try to upgrade. 

Would you consider Rock Ya Sin an Up Grade? If so, how could you be mad at the pick?

Im not advocating for it, but some analysts love Josh Jacobs.   The player comp they feel he is, a more powerful Alvin Kamara.  Same out of the backfield ability but more value between the tackles.  If Buffalo see it that way too are you ok with it with him being BPA?  BPA is all fun and games until you take a RB in the top 10 who ran 4.6

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If this is your definition and approach, I doubt there's a single pure BPA team in the league. Let's say the Giants are a pure BPA team and at the time they pick the BPA is an absolutely terrific RB, a guy who's ranked far above all others on the board. A pure BPA team would pick the RB even if they have Saquon. I don't think there's a team in the league that would do that. 

I suppose you could argue that they could trade down. Fair enough, but if the second-best player on their board is ranked above all other players on their board (except for the RB of course), and plays a position of need, I think nearly any team is going to go with that guy. 

Very few principles work when looked at in an absolutely pure way. There are exceptions to nearly anything, even an idea like BPA that is generally absolutely terrific.

Thou shalt not kill. Great principle. But there's self-defense. And if you're in the armed forces. Or if you're driving and somebody darts in front of you and your only alternative is to veer onto the sidewalk and hit a group of nuns ...

Of course you're correct.   But the fact that you can vote an exception doesn't mean the system is bad.  I've already excepted the Qb situation, and Barkley is another.  There are very few others. 

For example, I gave Watts and Clowney as an example where one would have thought they'd go away from  Clowney, but they didn't.  

Someone said what if you have four HOF DTs.  Well sure, bit that's not real.

I think that what Beane has said makes it clear except for QB, he's going BPA.