TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Complete

Virgil

Sorry to everyone, especially to @Virgil!!!!

I spent the weekend in the hospital with a family member and completely forgot about the draft starting on Sunday.  Everyone is now OK and home, but was a little touch and go for a while.

Hope I can make it up to everyone on the 2nd go around.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I picked Sweat.  He has incredible speed for an edge rusher and I see him wrecking havoc.

I like Hock, since he is as well-rounded TE as you could hope to find.  I just don't value the TE position as high as a game-changing edge rusher.  Sweat is my guy.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Sorry to everyone, especially to @Virgil!!!! 

I spent the weekend in the hospital with a family member and completely forgot about the draft starting on SundayEveryone is now OK and home, but was a little touch and go for a while. 

Hope I can make it up to everyone on the 2nd go around. 

hey man.  glad to hear everything/everyone is okay!

I like Hockenson as a prospect but it's disturbing to me that so many people are willing to overdraft him at #9. Look at the list of TEs drafted since 2009. There are some very good names but the highest drafted were Eric Ebron (#10 in 2014) & O.J. Howard (#19 in 2017). Ebron was a reach and a borderline bust (until last year) at #10. Howard was very good value at #19, IMO. Notice no Gronk (RD 2), Ertz (RD 2), or Kelce (RD 3). If Hockenson turns out to be half the players those guys are, the Bills would be fortunate. The 2017 draft was a good one for TEs. Besides Howard, it produced some very good up-and-coming, potential stars and none of them were taken higher than #19: Evan Engram (#23 NYG, RD 1), David Njoku (#29 CLE, RD 1), and George Kittle (#146 SF, RD 5). The board got this one wrong, IMO. Color me surprised if the Bills actually pull the trigger on Hockenson that high. History (theirs and league), suggests otherwise. Interesting to me in the list below is that 4 of the first 10 TEs taken in the last 10 years were by perennial 'also-rans' Detroit and Cincinnati. Baltimore has also attempted to get their guy twice but not any higher than #25. FWIW, my choice was Sweat. That may not be wise either, who knows. I just don't think that TE is the right value at #9. We'll see. :beer:

The 1st TE taken in each draft since 2009:

2018: Hayden Hurst (#25 BAL, RD 1)

2017: O.J. Howard (#19 TB, RD 1)

2016: Hunter Henry (#35 LAC, RD 2)

2015: Maxx Williams (#55 BAL, RD 2)

2014: Eric Ebron (#10 DET, RD 1)

2013: Tyler Eifert (#21 CIN, RD 1)

2012: Coby Fleener (#34 IND, RD 2)

2011: Kyle Rudolph (#43 MIN, RD 2)

2010: Jermaine Gresham (#21 CIN, RD 1))

2009: Brandon Pettigrew (#20 DET, RD 1)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=TE&type=position

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 2

With the 10th pick, the Denver Broncos select Devin Bush, LB, Michigan. The Cincinnati Bengals (@TOboy) are now on the clock.

Why?
I went QB, but of the defense. Bush has been flying up draft boards since his stellar combine. Denver's biggest hole on defense is a playmaker up the middle. He was a leader at Michigan, and a freakishly athletic, physical force on D. He gets knocked for his size, but he's only an inch shorter and a few pounds lighter than Devin White.

I know, I know -- "Elway loves Lock." Those rumors have seemed a little too frequent and convenient. The Paxton Lynch fiasco taught them a thing or two about reaching for a QB. I think they'll wait and see what they have in Flacco for a year and address QB in 2020, in a deeper class. For the record, I'm a Mizzou alum and I don't think Lock should be a first-rounder, let alone a top-10 pick. I do; however, think someone will trade up to draft him well before #10.

• Thank you (+1) 1

With the 11th pick, the Cincinnati Bengals select Greedy Williams, CB, LSU. 

Our sites were firmly on the 2 MLB's (White and Bush), but with both off the board, we're taking another crack at a first round CB, because that's what Bengals do. 

@aristocrat you are now on the board

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Thank God that the TBD base has zero input into the Bills pick.

That didn’t take long.

I’ll just copy and paste this for every pick made by the forum; save us some time

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

With the 12th pick in the 2019 NFL draft the Green Bay Packers select Noah Fant, Tight End, Iowa.

We considered Clelln Ferrell but ultimately decided Arod needed another weapon and the best player on the board offensively was Fant who will pair up with Jimmy Graham and with that sub 4.5 speed will line up all over and create mismatches. 

@BillfromNYC and the terrible awful Miami Dolphins are on the clock. 

• Like (+1) 2

Would there be interest to do this, except forum wide? 

Every pick would be a poll of some of the available players that make sense rather than the team being ran by one member. Each poll would be decided after 4 hours? 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I was between Sweat and Hockenson. I decided to take the guy to help the QB, but I do think they really like Sweat. Wilkins makes some sense as well. 

I think Metcalf deserves to be in the conversation. He would fit our offence perfectly.

With the 13th selection, I will surprise you all lol and select Jonah Williams - OT - from the University of Alabama Crimson Tide.

Although I think that he can play tackle, I project him to LG, and a great one at that.

My biggest influence in making this selection was the "Tanking for Tua" factor. The year before the Colts got Peyton Manning, they drafted Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows at #1 and #2. Miami, imo, will be lucky to win 3 games next season. Might as well bolster the offensive line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

in this scenario someone would trade up for Devin Bush (steelers?).   But here, I’m not sure what to do for Bills.  I’m thinking Sweat. 

The Steelers never trade up in the 1st. They just don't do it.

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

With the 13th selection, I will surprise you all lol and select Jonah Williams - OT - from the University of Alabama Crimson Tide.

Although I think that he can play tackle, I project him to LG, and a great one at that.

My biggest influence in making this selection was the "Tanking for Tua" factor. The year before the Colts got Peyton Manning, they drafted Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows at #1 and #2. Miami, imo, will be lucky to win 3 games next season. Might as well bolster the offensive line.

That is exactly what I think the Dolphins will do Bill. Whether it is Jonah, or Cody Ford or Dillard.... they will take a blocker in anticipation of taking a QB next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Steelers never trade up in the 1st. They just don't do it.

They have(S holmes Polamalu) , but not recently. I think they were disappointed when the deal with the Bills for AB and the swap of firsts fell through. With Ben's time running out and a hole in the middle of their defense it will be interesting to see if Colbert does something. Low possibility they will come up, granted, but you never know.