New England o-line drafting

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe this isn’t as interesting as you think it is? 

What conclusion can we draw from the OP’s post? The Patriots are not great at drafting. They don’t have some magic formula that shows which rounds are the best for drafting OL. They simply have the greatest HC and QB.

I think it's interesting, but your conclusion is correct.  They have the greatest HC and the perfect QB for the head coach.  I think it's interesting because I think that McBeane think that they are heading in that direction.  And I think it's actually possible they are.   

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Are we supposed to fill in the blanks here and provide the talking points? 

You know me.  I do that all the time. 

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There was literally no context or discussion provided by the OP. He simply made a thread to tell us which rounds the Pats have drafted OL in. Are we supposed to fill in the blanks here and provide the talking points? 

Well, umm, yeah.  To me it shows the importance of continuity for their organization.  They know exactly how they want to play and thus know exactly the kinds of players they need.

Edited by oldmanfan

44 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Way to kill an interesting thread. Wow, bro. You are so cool. Must be amazing. 

I came in and thankfully I saw the second post... it really isnt interesting. Patriots O-Line has not been good in a while.

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What conclusion can we draw from the OP’s post? The Patriots are not great at drafting. They don’t have some magic formula that shows which rounds are the best for drafting OL. They simply have the greatest HC and QB.

Well, I think  that it is a good idea to model your practices on teams that have been very successful and a first step is to see what they do and how it is different from what others and you do.  The Pats have been to a lot more playoffs and SB's than the Bills, especially lately.

What is obvious from the OP is that the Pats, to a large extent,  draft very few OL in the first two rounds (two players in the last 11 years).  An idea, that we all have seen teams and pundits express is that you can get good OL in the 2nd and 3rd round-  the Pats seem to skip that and go fishing in the 4th to 6th rounds- and also draft relatively few o-linemen.  I think that there is food for thought there.

What I wanted to see is where people would go with the OP list.  What I see is that the Pat's rely on identifying other teams good, experienced but not overly priced FA players and  built their 0-line with them. NOT with the conventional wisdom of drafting 2nd, 3rd rounders and coaching them up. There have been some articles suggesting that college o-line players are coached to a different, spread-offense,  not-hand-in-the-dirt method and come unprepared for the pro game.  Also, because of the limited hitting with pads practices allowed by the union- it is harder to coach them up.  Hence, veterans with a few years of okay performance are better to get than 2nd 3d rounders.  That is what I see the Bills doing.

Soooooo, I see the Bills draft strategy/o-line build as follows:  #1  get a bunch of young, relatively inexpensive veterans and sort out the better ones.  #2 Maybe draft a super o-lineman in the top half of the 1st round if the guy is very very high ceiling and floor- but only if the guy is going to be a great starter for 5+ years,  and #3  try a few very high ceiling/low floor crapshoot guys in the later rounds.

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I came in and thankfully I saw the second post... it really isnt interesting. Patriots O-Line has not been good in a while.

Gee, have you looked at the final division standings for the last 10 years?

57 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, umm, yeah.  To me it shows the importance of continuity for their organization.  They know exactly how they want to play and thus know exactly the kinds of players they need.

Continuity probably comes easy when you have the greatest QB running the same scheme for 20 years. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it right?

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I see that being a bigger deal than brady retiring.

Nothing stopping the Pats from getting a great replacement for Brady, like Montana/Young and Favre/Rodgers

i would prefer the Bills try to build a team instead of waiting for the pats to suck as bad as the Bills have

Edited by row_33

53 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well, I think  that it is a good idea to model your practices on teams that have been very successful and a first step is to see what they do and how it is different from what others and you do.  The Pats have been to a lot more playoffs and SB's than the Bills, especially lately.

If the plan is for McD and Allen to go down as 2 of the greatest ever then I’m all for that plan. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Right. Key detail being "the greatest HC". Would it not be interesting to dissect the way Belichick drafts linemen? Sometimes it's better not to say anything at all. Let the views and responses dictate the validity and value of a thread, not you. Seems to me you feel you have more authority than you actually do. Some people practically live here. Your 2,700 reputations mean nothing. I've seen amazing contributions from newbies. Maybe you should come down off your high horse. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Scarnecchia is a wizard.  I can't wait for him to retire, for good.

No one is more responsible for the longevity of Brady’s career.  Much more so than the makers of avocado ice cream.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

There was a reason they begged him to come out of retirement.  He somehow gets the most out of any player he's given to work with and that's a key for that offense and even Brady.

It's Brady.

14 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Right. Key detail being "the greatest HC". Would it not be interesting to dissect the way Belichick drafts linemen?

What is there to dissect? Good players can come from any round. Lots of good players go undradted. The Pats aren’t some superior team at drafting. Their misses are often forgotten because they still have the best QB and HC carrying them to success year in and year out. If you’re constsntly playing in SBs then nobody really cares if you whiff on players in the draft.

Sometimes it's better not to say anything at all. Let the views and responses dictate the validity and value of a thread, not you.

Im not dictating anything. I’m not preventing others from participating. Point being, if you want some kind of discussion then it’s probably best to include some kind of substance that elicits a discussion

Seems to me you feel you have more authority than you actually do.

That’s nice

Some people practically live here. Your 2,700 reputations mean nothing.

I absolutely agree which is why I never mention or care about rep points.

I've seen amazing contributions from newbies. Maybe you should come down off your high horse. 

But I like the view from up here.

Edited by Bangarang

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What is there to dissect? Good players can come from any round. Lots of good players go undradted. The Pats aren’t some superior team at drafting. Their misses are often forgotten because they still have the best QB and HC carrying them to success year in and year out. If you’re constsntly playing in SBs then nobody really cares if you whiff on players in the draft.

I would rather focus on the positive overlap, the agreeable territory, not the negatives. The last 5 months there was a whole lotta nothing here so I ghosted through everything, not a word was said. Even today, 90% of the front page I was not interested in. You crapped on one of the few threads I wanted to discuss and sift through. I'm not mad at you or anything, but if I did what you did I'd be dropping never ending dookies and cropdustings in every section and every corner of TBD. :D

Edited by NewDayBills

5 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I always laugh when a Patriot O Lineman goes somewhere else and sucks for some reason... it’s a little different than having to pass block for less than a second and being allowed to hold if you get beat. 

That and never having to see an 8 man front 

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yea... he’s more important than Brady ::eye roll::

3 hours ago, MJS said:

It's Brady.

Brady's a great QB.  But the fact remains that the Cheaters are 14-6 without him. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

Brady's a great QB.  But the fact remains that the Cheaters are 14-6 without him. 

Pretty small sample size. They also missed the playoffs without him in 2008. And that team was coming off their undefeated regular season and a Superbowl appearance.

7 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I always laugh when a Patriot O Lineman goes somewhere else and sucks for some reason... it’s a little different than having to pass block for less than a second and being allowed to hold if you get beat

You snuck that in, didnt ya? Love it.

• Thank you (+1) 1