New England o-line drafting

The Patriots have done well the last decade or so.   I was wondering how the used the draft to get offensive linemen.  First 5 rounds only..

Data from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

year......round-overall pick......position

2018   1-23                OT

2017   3-85               OT

6-211            OT

2016   3-78              G

2015   4-111            G

4-131            C

2014   4-105          G

4-140         OT

2013       none

2012      none

2011      1-17      OT

2010       4-141     G

2008         none

2007       5-171      OT

Top half of the first round or low 4th round seems to cover it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I always laugh when a Patriot O Lineman goes somewhere else and sucks for some reason... it’s a little different than having to pass block for less than a second and being allowed to hold if you get beat. 

And lining up four yards off the LOS

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I see that being a bigger deal than brady retiring.

Yup.  The OL is what allows him to do what he does.  And allows them to go cheap on OL players. 

Brady gets rid of the ball so fast. I think their oline matters less than most team's. And if defenders get close to him he just throws the ball at the feet of one of his players and lives to see another down. New England has to be one of the easiest places in the league to play oline because of Brady.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Brady gets rid of the ball so fast. I think their oline matters less than most team's. And if defenders get close to him he just throws the ball at the feet of one of his players and lives to see another down. New England has to be one of the easiest places in the league to play oline because of Brady.

There was a reason they begged him to come out of retirement.  He somehow gets the most out of any player he's given to work with and that's a key for that offense and even Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

Scarnecchia is a wizard.  I can't wait for him to retire, for good.

I know nothing about this guy, but I saw something about him a couple weeks ago, and everyone DOES think he's a wizard.  

I keep saying the same things over and over.   I think McD is a closet Belichick disciple.  I think that's one reason he wanted Daboll. 

Belichick has a pretty simple formula.  100% commitment to doing your job, learning and getting better.  Continuity.  Be physical.  All in, all the time.  A lot of what McDermott preaches.  

And this is why I think a trade out of 9 is likely.  Success in the Belichick system, and I think McBeane believe that success in their system, has to do with brains, commitment and hard work.   Once you get past QB, the notion that a player is a "game changer" really doesn't fly in their system.  They want good athletes with the right attitude.  If a guy is a great athlete, that's nice, but it isn't critical.  

Belichick wins by having built a sustainable system and by being good at finding good, hard-hitting athletes who will work for him in the system.  That's exactly what McBeane say about what they're doing, and it's why they keep saying they want to build "the right way."   What they mean by that is that a team built with the right work ethic and solid offensive and defensive systems can win football games year after year by plugging in the right kind of guys.   It's not a star system.  Except at quarterback, and McBeane think they have their QB.   They just have to nurture him like BElichick nurtured Brady, and not let a McCarthy-Rodgers problem develop.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

There was a reason they begged him to come out of retirement.  He somehow gets the most out of any player he's given to work with and that's a key for that offense and even Brady.

And forgot to mention that he allows them to go cheap at OL.  But when he's gone, they'll have to spend big bucks like everyone else.

22 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Way to kill an interesting thread. Wow, bro. You are so cool. Must be amazing. 

Maybe this isn’t as interesting as you think it is? 

What conclusion can we draw from the OP’s post? The Patriots are not great at drafting. They don’t have some magic formula that shows which rounds are the best for drafting OL. They simply have the greatest HC and QB.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is true, but it's not about Brady as much as it's about Belichick.   

Brady gets rid of the ball fast because Belichick understood faster than everyone else that there simply isn't any way to protect the QB consistently the way teams could do it 20 years ago.   Pass rushers are too good, and schemes are too complicated, to expect your blockers to build a nice, safe pocket, play after play.  Belichick accepted that reality and asked himself how to deal with it.  The way to deal with it is to have an offense where you virtually always can get a receiver open quickly, regardless of what defense you're looking at, and have a QB and receivers who can recognize the situation and react to it.  

Brady is about as good at it as you can imagine.  He's smart, quick and accurate.  But it works because Belichick's schemes always have someone open quickly; Brady is just the guy who takes advantage of it.  

I think that's one of the reasons we heard McBeane say after last season ended that they have to get Allen to take the easy short throw.   They've learned from Belichick and Brady that you can have something like a 90% completion percentage on those throws - they're short, the receiver typically is wide open, and the pass rush doesn't have time to bother you.  It is, in fact, the modern substitute for the effective running games 60 years ago.  You can complete those passes all day long - that's why you see QBs completing 15 passes in a row sometimes.   And it's particularly effective because once defenses react to try to stop that maddening short stuff, by dropping linebackers wider and shallower, you start finding receivers 15 yards down field over the middle with no defender within five yards, so you throw it to him.  

McBeane want to make Allen Brady-effective.   He's smart, he's committed, and seems like he's the kind of guy who work in a system like that.   If he can, the Bills could have the GOAT, because if he can play in his head like Brady, he's bigger, stronger, faster and has a better arm than Brady.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, MJS said:

Brady gets rid of the ball so fast. I think their oline matters less than most team's. And if defenders get close to him he just throws the ball at the feet of one of his players or no one and gets away with it 

Fixed it 

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe this isn’t as interesting as you think it is? 

What conclusion can we draw from the OP’s post? The Patriots are not great at drafting. They don’t have some magic formula that shows which rounds are the best for drafting OL. They simply have the greatest HC and QB.

I think their point is, if you found this tread so uninteresting, then fine.. but instead you chose to leave some snide, reductive comment. what warrants the negativity?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, 87168 said:

I think their point is, if you found this tread so uninteresting, then fine.. but instead you chose to leave some snide, reductive comment. what warrants the negativity?

There was literally no context or discussion provided by the OP. He simply made a thread to tell us which rounds the Pats have drafted OL in. Are we supposed to fill in the blanks here and provide the talking points?