Reading tea leaves: Bills trade down with NYG or OAK

Estro

I read the leaves differently.  This draft, being deep on defense, isn’t going to have any teams trying to move up early.  Couple that with my opinion that outside of Kyler Murray ( who I love) this QB class is garbage.  I predict no trade up for QB in round one.

that said, I believe the Bills stay at 9 and take something on offense, and I’ll go further and say that you go Hockenson at TE.

Get Allen every possible weapon you can in the arsenal.  Tyler Kroft is not a weapon.  

1 hour ago, cage said:

I was actually going to disagree with you, but then looked at the value chart for the Bills 2 first round trade-ups last year.  In the Allen trade they moved from 12 up to 7 and gave up to 2nds.  Per the chart, one of the 2nds should have been enough.  Then in the Edmunds trade they moved from 22 up to 16 for first pick of 3rd round and a 5th.  The 3rd by itself should have been enough for that trade.  So we paid a premium in both trade-ups even as they were down in the area of #16 pick.... I'll bump you a beer on your post!

I like this post.  Throw the chart out, extract what you can if others want your spot.  The picks are worth what others are willing to part with, not what an antiquated spread sheet says.  I'm also a proponent of drafting the BPA at 9.  Who knows when they'll have a pick this high again?  I hope they'er not drafting this high for a long time.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m actually starting to think the bills trade up with the giants and get a top player. Maybe the Giants go from 6 to 9 and the Bills get someone they really want. This team is almost literally full roster wise. I don’t see trading down. I feel like we are fixing all the leaks before draft night, so we can go for broke and move up. Could be wrong but I have been thinking a trade with the Giants. For 6 though, not 17.

I don't mean to blast the OP here...

The team already has 10 picks

They aren't devoid of the on-the-roster, role-player types that are found on days 2 and 3

The team lacks genuine studs at nearly all positions 

Free agency has brought a LOT of depth at the 2/3 spots at most positions 

All of the above indicate that they should trade UP, not down.

Accumulating picks can be a useful tool if a team needs to change culture and/or strengthen their depth. This team needs a few studs that other teams are forced to game plan around.

I would MUCH rather see them use their top 10 pick on a stud pass rusher (either at DT or EDGE) and then package day 2/3 picks and move back into round 1 for another stud at either WR, CB, DL, or LT.

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They aren't devoid of the on-the-roster, role-player types that are found on days 2 and 3

Accumulating picks can be a useful tool if a team needs to change culture and/or strengthen their depth. This team needs a few studs that other teams are forced to game plan around.

I would MUCH rather see them use their top 10 pick on a stud pass rusher (either at DT or EDGE) and then package day 2/3 picks and move back into round 1 for another stud at either WR, CB, DL, or LT.

I concur and you get them in 1st 2 rounds.....I can see picking at 9 and moving back in to 1st round as well

• Like (+1) 1

We overpaid for the right to move up to #7 last year as did the Jets to move up to #3.  I would not be happy with losing #9 for #24 and #27.  Offer me a second also then we will talk.  I really think teams will be knocking on Beans door draft night.  There are 3-4 teams with picks between 10-15 I could see knocking.  

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree.  Last year the Bills lost in the point chart 1910 to 1500 to move up for Josh Allen so there's your approximate 20% premium.  Same thing with the Jets gave up 2,956 points for 2,200 points just to move up three spots with the Colts for Darnold.  It's the price you pay for a quarterback.

Other possible trade partners that might want to leapfrog the Broncos are the Bengals (pick 11) and Redskins (pick 15).  We could still get our coveted player and pick up some more draft capital.

I agree on Washington being a possible trade partner. Atlanta and Carolina could be as well. I am good with a trade back as long as it’s still top 20 and we get another 2nd. Now, if Q. Williams or J. Allen fall to 9, you have to keep it.

At some point though the actual amount of picks becomes as issue. I’d like to see Beane use the 2 7ths to move up for targeted guys in the 4th/5th.

Considering all the FAs we brought in, I don’t see a point in making more than 8 picks. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I want more. I dont buy into the draft values , need to capitalize on their desperation. Dont want to give them any our latter picks, unless its real late.

This is a good point, and normally if a team wants to trade up for a QB you can usually milk a little more out of them

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

We overpaid for the right to move up to #7 last year as did the Jets to move up to #3.  I would not be happy with losing #9 for #24 and #27.  Offer me a second also then we will talk.  I really think teams will be knocking on Beans door draft night.  There are 3-4 teams with picks between 10-15 I could see knocking.  

I like that you mentioned picks 10-15. So, if Denver gets nervous and calls us, what would it take for us to move down 1 spot? Is a 3rd asking too much? If not a 3rd, how about a 4th and 5th?

as has been pointed out, a trade up is more likely than a trade back. we signed what... 15 FA's and have 10 draft picks in the upcoming draft. if it does turn out we trade back, i want high draft picks for next years draft. trading up to get Quinnen Williams would be my ideal, pressure up the middle is how you wreck offensive plans.  then perhaps trade back into the late first to grab N'Keal Harry or maybe a OT.

Edited by Foxx

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Maybe not for two spots but i dont want to drop way back in the first like we did for White.

But anything past 14 i want your second.

But for fun lets see what we can get with these trades.

Giants

17 WR Hakeem Butler 66, 205

37 DE Oshane Ximines 63, 253

40 DT Jeffery Simmons 64, 300

95 RB Elijah Holyfield

Raiders

24 TE Noah Fant 64, 249

27 DT Dexter Lawrence 64, 342

40 WR JJ Arcega Whiteside 62, 222

74 DE Chase Winovich 62, 256

I think im going with the raiders.

I would welcome a trade down that focuses on the Bills getting and extra 1st round pick in 2020.

BB, imo the 2020 draft could put this team over the top if it isn't bungled.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

People continue ignoring the facts here because they are from the trade down at all costs mindset.

The Bills WILL NOT trade down, if anything they trade up to utilize their draft capital and get a better player.

Teams with 10 draft picks, and multiple free agent signings don’t waste their draft. 

Repeat, there will be no trading down,especially in round one.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

This is much more likely to happen, in my opinion. I would prefer to see them stay at 9 and move back up into round 1 or 2.

• Like (+1) 1