2019 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

42 minutes ago, shrader said:

I just now read the stories about how they’ve been bouncing between arenas. Anything that gets them out of that bouncyball arena is a good thing, but man, that’s messed up. 

It's been a mess. A greedy owner more interested in development than anything else, local politicians unable to strike a reasonable deal and at the heart of the problem a horrendous iron clad contract that the Islanders signed with the management company for the Nassau Coliseum around 30 years ago that tied the hands of the owner and politicians for years.

In my perfect world, cooler heads would prevail and the NHL would relax the arena size restrictions and let the Isles continue to play at the Coliseum.  I went to a Sunday afternoon game this year. It was a sell out and the atmosphere was electric. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

You’re comparing one seed against 15 others though. Many of those times, the winner was just a game or two better than the second place team. Is that winning team so much better than the top seed in the opposite conference, who has played a very different schedule?

The most interesting one is the year we won it. Anaheim has the same point total but it was given to Buffalo on a tie breaker. The Ducks wound up winning the cup. So even if the Presidents’ Trophy winner is considered to be the favorite, it’s what, a 20% chance for them compared to 18% for team #2 and 80% for the rest of the field? We’re talking about probably the most balanced league out there. 

I just now read the stories about how they’ve been bouncing between arenas. Anything that gets them out of that bouncyball arena is a good thing, but man, that’s messed up. 

Good point. 

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Insanity in San Jose!

Golden Knights score 3 goals in the first 5 minutes of the first period, then the Sharks score 3 goals in the last 3 minutes of the first period.

40 minutes to go. :wacko:

Wow, we got screwed over last night, Mark. Horrible call. Especially considering how much shite they let go during the playoffs. Fleury wasn't even in his crease. Reminds me of the "Phantom punch" in Ali vs Liston!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Wow, we got screwed over last night, Mark. Horrible call. Especially considering how much shite they let go during the playoffs. Fleury wasn't even in his crease. Reminds me of the "Phantom punch" in Ali vs Liston!

Yeah that was a screw job. Not even close to goaltender interference.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:43 PM, T&C said:

Empty netter by Toronto was sweet... small dagger inserted. 

Tampa going down last night was  the same, both of these series are the main ones I'm watching for round one. 

Small dagger maybe not inserted into the right spot.

20 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Small dagger maybe not inserted into the right spot.

We shall see, a lot of time left. Game seems to have shifted gears from what I've seen so far in the 2nd.

Watching these games is depressing. Not because the hockey is bad, it’s fantastic. It’s depressing because it illustrates how far away the Sabres are from being a team with the necessary jam to compete in the playoffs. We have so few players that can bring that kind of intensity. And I think it’s gonna be a long long time...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Watching these games is depressing. Not because the hockey is bad, it’s fantastic. It’s depressing because it illustrates how far away the Sabres are from being a team with the necessary jam to compete in the playoffs. We have so few players that can bring that kind of intensity. And I think it’s gonna be a long long time...

Keep quoting elton john songs and it's gonna be even longer...

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Best thing for the Sabres is the Leafs losing and getting crazy and then firing Babcock. That would be a huge get.

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I just pretend Buffalo’s NHL team moved to Oklahoma City ten years ago.  Easier that way.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Best thing for the Sabres is the Leafs losing and getting crazy and then firing Babcock. That would be a huge get.

Boston will belt the Leafs in the mouth a few times and the Leafs will crumble, as always.

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Mrs. Babcock won’t let him, just like last time.

I seriously don’t think he’s gonna get fired, though. That would be foolish, imo.