2019 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

47 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Blue Jackets look awesome so far, but they were up 2-0 over the Caps and returning to Columbus last year and then got swept the next four games. Somehow I think Torts won’t let them forget that. 

Torts is a knob. Lightning in 6. They play better on the road than at home. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Torts is a knob. Lightning in 6. They play better on the road than at home. 

Knob or not, the Jackets have owned Tampa Bay since Torterella’s locker room speech after the first period in game one. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Knob or not, the Jackets have owned Tampa Bay since Torterella’s locker room speech after the first period in game one. 

His speech was actually before the game. Prior to that they hadn’t beaten TB in 2 years. Hope they can keep it up but they are so inconsistent.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

His speech was actually before the game. Prior to that they hadn’t beaten TB in 2 years. Hope they can keep it up but they are so inconsistent.

I stand corrected. 

He’s a knob. 

• Haha (+1) 2

5-1 Blue Jackets?! 

They cant really knock out Tampa bay in round 1, can they? What an an absolute disaster that would be for Tampa Bay.

Winning that president’s trophy is like a curse. They started handing it out in 1985, and in that time the presidents trophy winners have only won the Stanley Cup 8 times. 

8 still expect them to bounce back though. But it would be great for the Sabres if Columbus can make the conference final (if the Blues lose by round 2). It would push that STL pick to #19, which would send it to Buffalo instead of Anaheim.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

They really have. Jackets skate faster than tampa expected... tampa riding on their laurels for the most part, presidents trophy is in the past.

I'm a Sabres fan living in lightning land so this is a thing of beauty.

Edited by T&C

Wouldn't it be ironic if Columbus got their first ever series win as an impossibly gigantic underdog.

Ah, the way the world works sometimes.

But the BJ's have been here before and choked it away,, so, let's see them do it before we hand them the series win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I feel like you are down playing the Jackets a bit. They look legit. 

Not downplaying tonight’s game, just think game 1 was flukey and don’t see them winning the series. Hope I’m wrong. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His whole thing is his “American dream” of living in a big time market and near an ocean. 

Bruins were rumored with him near the deadline but supposedly he is a lock to go to the Panthers IIRC.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sad part is if they make it past the Penguins the home games will be in Brooklyn. Won't be the same crowd.

Explain? 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Blue Jackets look awesome so far, but they were up 2-0 over the Caps and returning to Columbus last year and then got swept the next four games. Somehow I think Torts won’t let them forget that. 

I was the curse on that one. Went to game 3 with a friend. Must have been my Buffalo fan juju rubbing off on the CBJ. Looks like I’m going to game 4 on Tuesday as well ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Winning that president’s trophy is like a curse. They started handing it out in 1985, and in that time the presidents trophy winners have only won the Stanley Cup 8 times. 

You’re comparing one seed against 15 others though. Many of those times, the winner was just a game or two better than the second place team. Is that winning team so much better than the top seed in the opposite conference, who has played a very different schedule?

The most interesting one is the year we won it. Anaheim has the same point total but it was given to Buffalo on a tie breaker. The Ducks wound up winning the cup. So even if the Presidents’ Trophy winner is considered to be the favorite, it’s what, a 20% chance for them compared to 18% for team #2 and 80% for the rest of the field? We’re talking about probably the most balanced league out there. 

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sad part is if they make it past the Penguins the home games will be in Brooklyn. Won't be the same crowd.

I just now read the stories about how they’ve been bouncing between arenas. Anything that gets them out of that bouncyball arena is a good thing, but man, that’s messed up. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Explain? 

The Islanders played at Nassau Coliseum which is in the middle of LI since their inception. They moved to Brooklyn a few years ago and it hasn't worked out...so much so that the  Brooklyn arena wants the Islanders out. New Islanders owners are trying to get an arena built roughly between Nassau Coliseum and Brooklyn. Meanwhile the Coliseum was renovated making it a bit smaller and not fit for NHL standards, it was small to begin with. But the Brooklyn arena and the Coliseum are run/owned by the same company and a deal was struck with the NHL to allow the Isles to play around half their games this year at the Coliseum.

As you noticed, the atmosphere has been nuts. Regular season games were similar.  I think it's due to the Islanders coming back to their LI fan base, a smaller arena and the fans know this will be a short-lived return to where we had the Stanley Cup run and oh yeah the team had their best season since forever after losing their franchise player.

When the Islanders made the playoffs the powers that be decided the first round home games would be at the Coliseum and after that at Brooklyn.

If the Isles make it past the Pens look for the f****ng car where people are sitting in every other NHL arena. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I was the curse on that one. Went to game 3 with a friend. Must have been my Buffalo fan juju rubbing off on the CBJ. Looks like I’m going to game 4 on Tuesday as well ?

As a fellow long suffering fan of Buffalo teams, I can relate. Hope your game 4 makes it a sweep. Enjoy, regardless. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

5-1 Blue Jackets?! 

They cant really knock out Tampa bay in round 1, can they? What an an absolute disaster that would be for Tampa Bay.

8 still expect them to bounce back though. But it would be great for the Sabres if Columbus can make the conference final (if the Blues lose by round 2). It would push that STL pick to #19, which would send it to Buffalo instead of Anaheim.

Let’s not forget they had the Caps down 2-0 last year.