2019 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i would do away with replay in all sports..hate it. 

unfortunately, this will not lead to way more in the NHL..including all 5-minute majors.

Wonder if  they will always include a replay for a major not called?

@Dante, man do your  boys gut a rabbit foot stuffed up their arse this playoff year

I wouldn't do away with the replays. However, I would limit the usage. One approach could be that each team has two to three challenges in a game. If they use a challenge and win the challenge then it shouldn't count against them. After they use up their challenges the coach has no recourse. So the incentive is to not waste your challenges. 

In all sports the replays seem to be excessively intruding into the game. The camera technology that exists is extraordinary. It is so sophisticated that a camera in space can capture you in detail scratching your itching balls. We are at a point where it is too big a part of the game. The best way to use it is on a limited basis.

I'm more prone to root for my team than root against another team. And once a player leaves the home team I usually have little animosity for the departing player. But the manner in which ROR "induced" his departure rubs me the wrong way. Something was going on in the locker room when he was in Buffalo that required action. He's a terrific two way player whose loss created a major void on the Sabres. He and the Blues making it into the Cup Finals would irk me. In this series I'm rooting for the Sharks.

12 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Wow!

The Blues have every right to be furious, that looked like a hand pass.

I'm thrilled the Sharks came back and won, but the controversial ending feels uneasy.

People always look at one call like it's in a vacuum. Let's go over the refereeing that the Sharks had every right to be furious over prior to the overtime.

1)Blatant delay of game as one of the Blues shot the puck over the glass in his own end. I can understand when two sticks are close together as it can look like it got deflected by the forechecking team. In this case, the guys' stick wasn't within a fuggin yard of the defenders stick. Sharks should go to PP but didn't

2) Terrible slash on Haley by Parayko in front of the net that really looked like intent. Could have been a major or at least a double minor. Possible suspension? Who knows but how to 4 sets of officiating eyeball miss it? The puck was there wtf were they looking at?

3) A obvious headshot on Braun. See here

4) Trip called on Burns in the 3rd was bogus as he didn't even touch the guy. On the ensuing PP the Blues score the go ahead

So the Blues can cry me a fuggin river. The probably shouldn't have made it to OT

17 minutes ago, Dante said:

People always look at one call like it's in a vacuum. Let's go over the refereeing that the Sharks had every right to be furious over prior to the overtime.

1)Blatant delay of game as one of the Blues shot the puck over the glass in his own end. I can understand when two sticks are close together as it can look like it got deflected by the forechecking team. In this case, the guys' stick wasn't within a fuggin yard of the defenders stick. Sharks should go to PP but didn't

2) Terrible slash on Haley by Parayko in front of the net that really looked like intent. Could have been a major or at least a double minor. Possible suspension? Who knows but how to 4 sets of officiating eyeball miss it? The puck was there wtf were they looking at?

4) Trip called on Burns in the 3rd was bogus as he didn't even touch the guy. On the ensuing PP the Blues score the go ahead

So the Blues can cry me a fuggin river. The probably shouldn't have made it to OT

The head shot is why I referenced that up thread in terms of replay missed calls. We know damn all majors that are called are now going to be reviewed...but what about ones that are not called? 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I wouldn't do away with the replays. However, I would limit the usage. One approach could be that each team has two to three challenges in a game. If they use a challenge and win the challenge then it shouldn't count against them. After they use up their challenges the coach has no recourse. So the incentive is to not waste your challenges. 

In all sports the replays seem to be excessively intruding into the game. The camera technology that exists is extraordinary. It is so sophisticated that a camera in space can capture you in detail scratching your itching balls. We are at a point where it is too big a part of the game. The best way to use it is on a limited basis.

I'm more prone to root for my team than root against another team. And once a player leaves the home team I usually have little animosity for the departing player. But the manner in which ROR "induced" his departure rubs me the wrong way. Something was going on in the locker room when he was in Buffalo that required action. He's a terrific two way player whose loss created a major void on the Sabres. He and the Blues making it into the Cup Finals would irk me. In this series I'm rooting for the Sharks.

Ban it all, live with the calls...haha, made a rhyme!!!!

52 minutes ago, Dante said:

I'm not saying the Sharks didn't get robbed on those non-calls, they did.

That was clearly delay of game, and a blatant slash on Haley.

I just hate that everyone will be talking about that play at the end if the game, saying how the Sharks only won because of luck.

It ruins a very thrilling game.

16 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm not saying the Sharks didn't get robbed on those non-calls, they did.

That was clearly delay of game, and a blatant slash on Haley.

I just hate that everyone will be talking about that play at the end if the game, saying how the Sharks only won because of luck.

It ruins a very thrilling game.

It may taint it in their mind but not in mine. I was so mad last night watching the game. I almost turned it off when the Blues scored on that bullshite penalty to Burns. I wasn't close to feeling guilty when the Sharks scored. The Blues should have had two major penalties in that game with two suspensions to follow for game 4. The NHL should quit their player safety charade the push all the time.

The head shot is why I referenced that up thread in terms of replay missed calls. We know damn all majors that are called are now going to be reviewed...but what about ones that are not called? 

hmmm..apon further review it actually hit the Blue player after Meir hit it. It was actually an accurate call which is surprising considering how much the refs were shoving it up San Jose's ass all night. That was a great opportunity to screw em over again. Pleasantly surprised albeit a little confused. ?

15 hours ago, CommonCents said:

It’s a shame the Maple Leafs stuck a dagger into the Bruins during the first game of the playoffs. 

I was hoping for the Bruins to make the final. Much more enjoyable watching them lose in the final round. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:00 PM, plenzmd1 said:

You may be in rhyme but that doesn't mean that you are not out of tune. :ph34r:

The best approach to the use of the review is to limit them. And if a review can't be made in a minute then the call should stand. The over use of the technology is affecting the flow of the game. For those annoying millennials who demand perfection I say get in the real world and go to hellll! ?

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

You may be in rhyme but that doesn't mean that you are not out of tune. :ph34r:

The best approach to the use of the review is to limit them. And if a review can't be made in a minute then the call should stand. The over use of the technology is affecting the flow of the game. For those annoying millennials who demand perfection I say get in the real world and go to hellll! ?

13 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Fixed

I find Larry Brooks pretty insufferable usually, but he's spot on here.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/nhls-officiating-crisis-has-only-one-fix-and-its-being-ignored/

Disagree.

Replay is a necessity, just not to the extent it's been taken. The original intent to ensure that the play that every one knew was wrong got corrected somehow morphed into super slo mo replays that nobody agrees on anyway. The original intent is still 100% relevant.

In another thread a few months ago @row_33 nailed it. Limit replay to real-time play backs, no slo-mo. 

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Disagree.

Replay is a necessity, just not to the extent it's been taken. The original intent to ensure that the play that every one knew was wrong got corrected somehow morphed into super slo mo replays that nobody agrees on anyway. The original intent is still 100% relevant.

In another thread a few months ago @row_33 nailed it. Limit replay to real-time play backs, no slo-mo. 

With respect to the highlighted segment I very much agree. The review excessively intruded on the flow of the game making it less enjoyable to watch. What's happened is that because that there is such a desire to get all the calls right that it has altered the game. Perfection in officiating in any sport never was and is attainable. The best officials recognize that there is as much artistry and judgment in making calls. Being robotically right in making calls doesn't mean that it is the right call in the context and flow of the game.

The common sense militia needs to be called to arms to fight the technological zealots.  Let's not allow the fantasy pursuit of perfection become the enemy of the good!

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Fixed

I find Larry Brooks pretty insufferable usually, but he's spot on here.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/nhls-officiating-crisis-has-only-one-fix-and-its-being-ignored/

If Plezmd1 agrees with you then I am comfortable in disagreeing with you. He is a ying while I am a yang. :)

Technology and reviews are part of the sporting scene, not just hockey. It is not going away. If that is an unalterable fact then the issue becomes how best to use it?   In my view less is better than more. 

Who do you think has the best shot at taking down the Bruins? I'm thinking the Sharks... they seem to skate faster than the Blues. Either way... once the cup is won and done my sports season.. maybe a little golf in there... is over until the NFL preseason begins.

• Haha (+1) 1

Hertl and Karlson out tonight. Sharks ain’t the warriors. Sorry @Dante, injuries , or lack thereof such a big part of the playoff equation. 

They certainly are. For that reason, the Sharks should forget scoring in the first period. Concentrate on executing headshots to Schartz and Pietrangelo. Not like the refs have been calling them.  The Blues have done a very effective job of thinning out our squad. (Pavelski, Hertl, EK65) Time for the Sharks to level the playing field. Hell they almost have to return the favor to be competitive at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1