2019 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

11 hours ago, The Senator said:

I will concede this - one of the many great things about growing up Buffalo, or what I sometimes affectionately call ‘Lower Canada’ or ‘Fort Erie East’, was having 3 extra TV channels from Toronto, 5, 9, and 11, WAY before someone invented cable TV, and watching ‘Hockey Night in Canada’ every Saturday nite.

I don't remember 5 but it was 9 or 11 in Lancaster. Depending on the weather and how you manipulated stuff around the ears. I do remember Saturday afternoon hockey though. 

Edited by T&C

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

I will concede this - one of the many great things about growing up Buffalo, or what I sometimes affectionately call ‘Lower Canada’ or ‘Fort Erie East’, was having 3 extra TV channels from Toronto, 5, 9, and 11, WAY before someone invented cable TV, and watching ‘Hockey Night in Canada’ every Saturday nite.

AMEN

CBLT channel 5 

CHCH Channel 11 from Hamilton

CFTO channel 9 from TO

Used to watch "Mr. Dress Up" and tons of other stuff on Canadian TV.

We were also blessed to get the CBC's airing of the BBC's F1 coverage in the '80s and '90s, when the broadcasting pair was Murray Walker and James Hunt--easily the best sports broadcasters in any sport I've ever heard.

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

Ever since Tampa started out game one with a 3-0 lead, they have been outscored 11-1 in the series.

Wait, what?????????

Imagine having one of the greatest regular seasons imaginable, then getting swept right out of the playoffs?

Ouch.

Tamp had better wake the F up or that is EXACTLY what is going to happen.

Tampa has a good team.  I said it before the Presidents Trophy for best record guarantees nothing

43 minutes ago, eball said:

Go Blue Jackets!  Go Isles!

Absolutely love seeing "traditional" powerhouses like TB and PIT go down.

I agree .... Well

until the play the Caps that is 

Before all the media prance around declaring TB the greatest ever, they might wait until the team has won three Stanley Cups in a reasonable time frame, not even asking 4 or 5 in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Before all the media prance around declaring TB the greatest ever, they might wait until the team has won three Stanley Cups in a reasonable time frame, not even asking 4 or 5 in a row.

all time or recent history? 

The Caps won the PT 2 years running IIRC   

they were blown out in both playoff series 

its like crowning the Browns champs after 1 week of FA,  

43 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

all time or recent history? 

The Caps won the PT 2 years running IIRC   

they were blown out in both playoff series 

its like crowning the Browns champs after 1 week of FA,  

my formative years watched the Broad Street Bullies, Lafleur Habs, Bossy Isles and Gretzky Oil win 2-4 straight cups, so that's what I would call candidates way far more accomplished than the LIghtning.

and Chicago and the Pens and Detroit have put up some impressive results over the last 20 years, it's probably never going to give us 4 in a row, so that's way more accomplished than a Tampa Team overdosing on winning regular season games.

and the Devils....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

my formative years watched the Broad Street Bullies, Lafleur Habs, Bossy Isles and Gretzky Oil win 2-4 straight cups, so that's what I would call candidates way far more accomplished than the LIghtning.

and Chicago and the Pens and Detroit have put up some impressive results over the last 20 years, it's probably never going to give us 4 in a row, so that's way more accomplished than a Tampa Team overdosing on winning regular season games.

and the Devils....

How dare you almost forget the Devils.

?

Just now, row_33 said:

**** i hated that team and it's trapping game.....

They won three Cups (should have been 5) with it.

i don’t give a flying fvck how they did it. Winning is ALWAYS exciting. And if your team got the same results with that style of play, you’d love it too

Their system doesn’t take away from the talent they had in any way. Systems don’t make you win for 18 years, talent does.

17 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They won three Cups (should have been 5) with it.

i don’t give a flying fvck how they did it. Winning is ALWAYS exciting. And if your team got the same results with that style of play, you’d love it too

Their system doesn’t take away from the talent they had in any way. Systems don’t make you win for 18 years, talent does.

like the Islanders they had their SC parade celebration at a local Piggly Wiggly parking lot?

so we've had a lot of great teams win multiple Cups since the Gretzky Oilers....  TB isn't worthy of that until more actual success.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

AMEN

CBLT channel 5 

CHCH Channel 11 from Hamilton

CFTO channel 9 from TO

Used to watch "Mr. Dress Up" and tons of other stuff on Canadian TV.

We were also blessed to get the CBC's airing of the BBC's F1 coverage in the '80s and '90s, when the broadcasting pair was Murray Walker and James Hunt--easily the best sports broadcasters in any sport I've ever heard.

I liked to watch pro wrestling on ch. 11, with Lord Layton!

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I liked to watch pro wrestling on ch. 11, with Lord Layton!

and Party Game and Hilarious House of Frightenstein in the 1970s

$250 for SRO for the Leafs tonight....

11 minutes ago, The Senator said:

That’s a lot of dolars!

(or loonies)

it's a 50% markup on stubhub for CDN from US, and the fees... that's my rule of thumb these days....

we don't get 4 tickets and popcorn and a hot dog for $30 in Toronto for NHL games...

there was a day i was insane enough to pay $300 to sit up top, that's out of my blood...

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's a 50% markup on stubhub for CDN from US, and the fees... that's my rule of thumb these days....

we don't get 4 tickets and popcorn and a hot dog for $30 in Toronto for NHL games...

there was a day i was insane enough to pay $300 to sit up top, that's out of my blood...

Yeah, 6 bucks for a Sabres ticket vs. 400 bucks for the Frozen Four!  Go figure.

(And I would’ve paid it if Cornell was there)

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and Party Game and Hilarious House of Frightenstein in the 1970s

I still watch The National for world news.

Also, one of my favs is This Hour has 22 Minutes - much better than SNL (I believe when it began, it was This Half Hour has 22 Minutes)

40 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Yeah, 6 bucks for a Sabres ticket vs. 400 bucks for the Frozen Four!  Go figure.

(And I would’ve paid it if Cornell was there)

those are rare opportunities to attend!

wish i cared about my alma maters for sports...

22 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I still watch The National for world news.

Also, one of my favs is This Hour has 22 Minutes - much better than SNL (I believe when it began, it was This Half Hour has 22 Minutes)

curious if Americans prefer Canadian news stations more than i think...