2019 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Love my Leafs but not betting a penny on them 

early memory of a playoff game and  it was like 10-0 Boston and Quinn hurt Orr and Forbes Kennedy fought every Bruin and decked the linesman as well (suspended for life for that)

and it hasn’t gotten better for my Leafs. 

I looked at the history of the Prez Trophy winner also taking the SC and it’s dismal, the Gretzky Oilers and bitter rival Flames did it way way back, both were no-brainer champs, rare since then

Last ten years only Chicago took both, the strike shortened farce season

And all the parades and screaming about the most points achieved is dimly based on 3 points handed out for a tie game, this doesn’t compare to days when a tie was the final score

I have noted that trend myself.  Really, they should give the prez trophy winner an exra home game or something. It really is a feat to win the season points total.  This year, I think the talent level of the Bolts is way out of synch with their next closest rival.  And this group has a lot of playoff experience.  That said, I believe the NHL playoffs is the most open to success for lower seeds of all the majors.  

27 minutes ago, snafu said:

I have noted that trend myself.  Really, they should give the prez trophy winner an exra home game or something. It really is a feat to win the season points total.  This year, I think the talent level of the Bolts is way out of synch with their next closest rival.  And this group has a lot of playoff experience.  That said, I believe the NHL playoffs is the most open to success for lower seeds of all the majors.  

The few games I watched TB play I was very impressed, they squeezed the life out of the Leafs all over the ice for easy wins.

i won’t be voluntarily watching a playoff games not involving the Leafs, so hopefully they can get into the second round with a good effort

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The few games I watched TB play I was very impressed, they squeezed the life out of the Leafs all over the ice for easy wins.

i won’t be voluntarily watching a playoff games not involving the Leafs, so hopefully they can get into the second round with a good effort

I only watch playoff games that don’t involve my team.

☹️

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I only watch playoff games that don’t involve my team.

☹️

I understand..... oh do I understand....

I will be forced to have to sit in a room with a game on a few times, hopefully take a needed nap during it 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not sure why you say that.   They had close games but 

the Canes lost every game against the Caps this season if I’m not mistaken.   

I was one.  I’m anti Boston.   

No particular reason. Just a hunch. 

I share your disdain for Boston, too. Goes way back to the Schoney/Cashman days.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Why?

For the best shot at improving the first round draft pick we get from either if them. Other teams need to do better in the playoffs as well to knock them down a rung, but them losing is a start.

Stanley Cup Playoff Hype Rankings: Which series are must-see?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26468983/stanley-cup-playoff-hype-rankings-which-series-see

We rate each series based on several facets: star power, secondary plot lines, the hate factor, the controversy quotient (for potential violent acts or heinous actions), the arena atmosphere, the probability of a Game 7and, last but not least, the "Beardosity" of a series, in which the face shrubbery of players is weighed as heavily as the fame of that series' players.

Each category is given a score of 1 to 10. Now, without further explanation of a completely subjective and arbitrary process, here are the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoff Hype Rankings:

4. Washington Capitals vs. Carolina Hurricanes

Star power: 7
Secondary plot lines: 8
Hate factor: 3
Controversy quotient: 9
Arena atmosphere: 7
Game 7 probability: 2
Beardosity: 6
Overall hype ranking: 42

With due respect to all the other lower-seeded teams, this is your Cinderella series. The "bunch of jerks" from Raleigh take on the reigning Stanley Cup champions, who dominated them 4-0-0 in the regular season. While there isn't much hate between these two yet, the existence of Tom Wilson in any series nearly maxes out the controversy quotient (as does the presence of outspoken Carolina owner Tom Dundon in a playoff series).

It's been a minute since we had a postseason game at the Hurricanes' home rink, so we might have underestimated the arena atmosphere. This could be a fun one. Or a short one. In either case, viva la Southeast Division, and let's watch Alex Ovechkin score more goals.

I suppose if you factor in Raleigh's arena... the Caps fans are very loud and love their team 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/page/2019stanleycupcentral/2019-stanley-cup-playoffs-central-schedule-scores-highlights-analysis

Washington Capitals (Metro No. 1) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (Wild card No. 1)

Game 1 (@WSH): Thursday, April 11, 7:30 p.m.
Game 2 (@WSH): Saturday, April 13, 3 p.m.
Game 3 (@CAR): Monday, April 15, 7 p.m.
Game 4 (@CAR): Thursday, April 18, 7 p.m.
Game 5 (@WSH): Saturday, April 20
Game 6 (@CAR): Monday, April 22
Game 7 (@WSH): Wednesday, April 24

52 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Great win by the Sharks tonight.

This will be a very physical & nasty series.

Watched every second of LV vs. SJ and the game was a real treat.

If you missed it or if these games are on too late for you, record them and watch them the next day.

This series is going to be a gem.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Watched every second of LV vs. SJ and the game was a real treat.

If you missed it or if these games are on too late for you, record them and watch them the next day.

This series is going to be a gem.

Agreed.  The two best series to me in the first round are Blues/Jets and Sharks/Knights.  Should be absolute wars.   The winners will most likely struggle in the second round because of how hard it'll be to survive round one.

Formula for how the President's Trophy helps win the Stanley Cup.

A.  Benefit of the square root of sweet **** all

plus

B.  Benefit of the cube root of jack ****

plus

C. Benefit of the pigheadedness of determining to try to grab all the points you can in the total waste of time that the regular season is in 2019, for teams making the playoffs anyway

less:

D. energy wasted by failure to employ load management, or I can't bother to play more than 2 games in 10 days, i'm a star

• Awesome! (+1) 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

like when the boxer crossed himself before his fight, a fan asked the priest beside him if that would help him, "only if he can really fight" said the priest.

i watched all the action in the Isles/Columbus/Blues games last night, I"m pooped out for more than one game a night now.

Go Leafs Go! Try not to be sacrificial candyasses like you always become when playing Boston or other hard-nosed franchises in the playoffs, for once?

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Agreed.  The two best series to me in the first round are Blues/Jets and Sharks/Knights.  Should be absolute wars.   The winners will most likely struggle in the second round because of how hard it'll be to survive round one.

That Binnington kid for the Blues was amazing last night. I hope the Jets can solve that problem.