1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Normal hours have Notre Dame closing at 6:45 pm. Going by your first post in this thread about the fire (the tweet timestamp) it would appear the fire started shortly after closing (6-hour time difference from eastern). My only question would be - it is holy week;  aren't churches (or at least cathedrals) open 24/7 during holy week?  I do not know the answer to this, I am merely asking. 

Protestant churches aren't. Mine isn't.

Can't answer about cathedrals.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You know what I'm talking about. You lied with your first comment - then got called out on it and then you tried to add a word (which you didn't say) in the hopes it changed your initial lie. You do this often. Because you're dishonest. Because you're a troll. Because you're a waste of carbon. 

As for Shep - if you were honest you'd already know the answer. It's one I've given before. For two years that same "principle" he leaned on to cut the guy off did not apply to Shep as he pushed unfounded conspiracy theory after unfounded conspiracy theory about the president being a Russian spy. Yet he has the balls to try to take the journalistic high ground when an elected official wants to point out the fact that Parisian churches have been targeted for arson by extremists. 

Yeah. He's a propagandist, not a journalist. 

You wouldn't know because you're too dishonest to have any principles at this point. 

You should just use that as your sig. 

45 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Equating ww2 to a fire in the cathedral is really a strong point. 

That's actually why I'm not too broken up about Notre Dame.  It's sad, yes...but do you have any idea how many medieval treasures were destroyed by allied fire-bombings?  

I just can't get too worked up about one going up accidentally.  

50 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

D4OMDHfXoAAm-vD.jpg

Also heard the same on CNBC a moment ago... (they quoted French media as well, for clarity rather than offering a second source/confirmation)

Accidents can happen outside of normal working hours.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

firefighters reporting that they think the bell towers can be saved. enough water being dumped upon them to insulate them to a large degree.

As long as the bells stay intact.  If those fall, the towers go with them.  The largest bell weighs 13 tons.  And they're held by huge wooden beams. 

The bells themselves may be a loss anyway - warped from the heat.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah...of course, it could be a deliberate act.  But there's no evidence of that, and how often do we hear of fires started by renovation work? 

Speculation is worse than useless here - it's demonization of a group of people.  

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

As long as the bells stay intact.  If those fall, the towers go with them.  The largest bell weighs 13 tons.  And they're held by huge wooden beams. 

The bells themselves may be a loss anyway - warped from the heat.

Yeah...of course, it could be a deliberate act.  But there's no evidence of that, and how often do we hear of fires started by renovation work? 

Speculation is worse than useless here - it's demonization of a group of people.  

How do you even go about making sure the bells are secured in that case? Jeez. What a task. 

Correct, but on the other hand, assuming that it was an accident is speculation as well. The reports from the scene saying accident seem premature, but they do lend more credence to the accident angle. I think it's wrong to say "because of what has happened lately, this is intentional" but it does demand consideration for sure. 

Essentially, it's too early to say for sure either way. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How do you even go about making sure the bells are secured in that case? Jeez. What a task. 

Correct, but on the other hand, assuming that it was an accident is speculation as well. The reports from the scene saying accident seem premature, but they do lend more credence to the accident angle. I think it's wrong to say "because of what has happened lately, this is intentional" but it does demand consideration for sure. 

Essentially, it's too early to say for sure either way. 

It demands consideration.  It does not demand belief.

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Which makes sense...but at some point, the risk-reward calculation tips in favor of doing so.

That point is probably now, as the building's just about a total loss anyway.  

EDIT: and as I post that, I get a notification from NBC that "the structure" is saved.  Which, coming from NBC, probably means they nuked the site from orbit...

Edited by DC Tom
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

It demands consideration.  It does not demand belief.

Right. Both sides (accident v. intentional) begin at 0 and when evidence is displayed, you adjust accordingly. The accounts from the scene saying it was an accident would be a point towards that camp, but the validity of that can be questioned for sure. So we wait and see what happens. 

We tend to default to believing something to be an accident (at least the media at large does) and that can lead to other potentials not being fleshed out. I haven't been watching fox, but I wonder if they are actually evaluating it from both sides. Not that it matters too much today.  

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

... Which makes sense...but at some point, the risk-reward calculation tips in favor of doing so.

That point is probably now, as the building's just about a total loss anyway.  

at this point my concern would be that to do so, you risk 'blowing out' the side walls. the impact of the water could create enough of a shock wave to blow them out (or topple them inward for that matter).

Edited by Foxx