O Line continuity concerns?

I've been lamenting this for a while, we brought a bunch of fresh blood in for our O line and I applaud Beane & co for that, but from what I see is alot of "flex" players and the possibility of another round of mix and match going on during OTAs and camp like last year. Could this be a systemic problem? Or does our new O line coach and O coordinator have a plan of who will be their starters and whose depth? Or will we be fiddling with the line through week 3 or so?

Help me out because I haven't slept well for weeks because of this.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

I've been lamenting this for a while, we brought a bunch of fresh blood in for our O line and I applaud Beane & co for that, but from what I see is alot of "flex" players and the possibility of another round of mix and match going on during OTAs and camp like last year. Could this be a systemic problem? Or does our new O line coach and O coordinator have a plan of who will be their starters and whose depth? Or will we be fiddling with the line through week 3 or so?

I keep saying this and saying this.  Beane  has been clear - he's building the team through the draft.   He's using free agency to plug gaps.  

That means we probably will seen af offensive lineman or two added to the team this year through the draft, and there will be one or two next year, and the year after that.  In the meantime, he's signing free agents as he thinks he needs them.  

• Like (+1) 4

Why worry about continuity?

The O line sucked last year and everyone wanted changes.

Well here they are(the new linemen) and I for one think the O line will be better and the Bills have not even drafted yet.

Good vets that have been around can figure things out in a hurry and with the upgrade at center the line calls should be better.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Why worry about continuity?

The O line sucked last year and everyone wanted changes.

Well here they are(the new linemen) and I for one think the O line will be better and the Bills have not even drafted yet.

Good vets that have been around can figure things out in a hurry and with the upgrade at center the line calls should be better.

I agree with you they'll be better, after last year I have no doubt. I just wonder how quick they'll gel and get to thier potential.

I suspect we draft at least one more OT, and maybe another interior guy later. If they can identify the starters early enough, coach them up and give them a lot of reps together, we’ll be fine. It will get better as the season goes along. What I hate is dragging feet, inability to make decisions and steal the reps playing as a unit. Time will tell. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I suspect we draft at least one more OT, and maybe another interior guy later. If they can identify the starters early enough, coach them up and give them a lot of reps together, we’ll be fine. It will get better as the season goes along. What I hate is dragging feet, inability to make decisions and steal the reps playing as a unit. Time will tell. 

Augie, that's pretty much the point I was trying to make, I think you're just more articulate than I am!

Maybe a slight concern about continuity but honestly this line will be far better than last year. No longer do we have unathletic lineman attempting to play a zone scheme and coached by the terrible Castillo. 

We've replaced Castillo our weakest link and we've added massive road grading maulers and it appears to me that we are moving to a more power scheme,  one that we excelled at two years ago with Wood and Ritchie. 

The other positive is it seems Beane and Daboll are on the same page in terms of type of lineman and scheme which to me wasn't there last year. Daboll likely wanted a power scheme and Castillo ran a zone. Now the offence all pieces together and should vastly improve. 

1 hour ago, twist_to_open said:

That's what keeps you up at night? Can we trade lives?

On a serious note, it's the staff's job to figure out the best five in camp and where they belong. It may take some time for them to get used to the tendencies of the adjacent linemen, but I think it'll sort itself out. 

Get some rest.

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is why rebiulding the OL through free agency was the way to go......veterans gel more quickly

You can add in young guys slowly over the years, but we needed some guys who knew the ropes, had been in the trenches already and won’t need to adjust to speed or power. They just need to gel. 

• Like (+1) 1