Further evidence that Jerry Hughes is one of the best DE in the game?

7 hours ago, Magox said:

This is what I was saying in the other thread.  He deserves to get a nice 3 year contract.  DE's still can get after the QB at that age.    Gotta retain him unless somehow we get other people to replace his production which wont be easy.

I couldn’t agree more.  I’ve been very surprised that nothing has been done with him yet. 

The problem with Hughes and always probably will be is he can’t get inside. He may get “pressures” but a lot of that is just running past the tackle and the quarterback stepping up or around and him getting in striking distance. Hughes could of been super special if he had developed a Dwight freeny kinda spin move. With that said he’s obviously a good/great player but without an end on the other side to crash the right side of the pocket he’s easily avoided most plays. I hated him years ago for the stupid 15 yard penalties (not the ones for slapping his own teammates helmet.. still can’t believe that call standed) 

But Jerry has been a constant here and a good player and IMO one of the best lop sided trades in league history. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he demands and if they reward him for his service or let him go. 

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Very good player. Not a great player, though. The great ones get sacks regardless of offensive scheme and regardless of who they line up with. He needs someone on the other side to bring pressure too, then his sack numbers will get back to double digits.

? you, & south ny fan ftm, conflict your positions in your own posts.(??) Hughes universally lines up over the LT, which by definition shouldn’t require double team help. Jerry routinely gets past them all. ‘Pressure from the other side has always helped the ‘great player’. With Bruce, we had the fastest OLB at the time in Biscuit cruising in from the other side and later, Phil Hanson. Currently, Jerry doesn’t have this. The double digit sacks you claim are requirements for greatness, came for Jerry with Pro Bowlers with 10+ sacks each across the DL. Here’s all you need to know about Jerry Hughes; if we can’t extend him, we’ll lose him. Because EVERY team will look into signing him with their very best offer$.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

? you, & south ny fan ftm, conflict your positions in your own posts.(??) Hughes universally lines up over the LT, which by definition shouldn’t require double team help. Jerry routinely gets past them all. ‘Pressure from the other side has always helped the ‘great player’. With Bruce, we had the fastest OLB at the time in Biscuit cruising in from the other side and later, Phil Hanson. Currently, Jerry doesn’t have this. The double digit sacks you claim are requirements for greatness, came for Jerry with Pro Bowlers with 10+ sacks each across the DL. Here’s all you need to know about Jerry Hughes; if we can’t extend him, we’ll lose him. Because EVERY team will look into signing him with their very best offer$.

So you're saying Jerry didn't really get double teamed because he lined up against the left tackle?

I honestly would like to see numbers about his double teams.

I think he's good.

He also had his best season ever.

I think it's an outlier and he will come back down to being above average.

Suddenly having your best season at age 30 isn't typically the norm.

Granted, coaching and coordinator changes didn't help him prior, so maybe he's finally found his groove.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Here’s all you need to know about Jerry Hughes; if we can’t extend him, we’ll lose him. Because EVERY team will look into signing him with their very best offer$.

I think a lot depends on how he plays this year as to what his market is. I wouldn't re-sign him until after this season if it were me and the reason I say that is Jerry will be 32 by the time the 2020 season opens. Now while we can all think of the likes of Dwight Freeney and Julius Peppers who have seemed to go on forever there are also plenty of very good to great pass rushers in the NFL in the last 15 years for whom the wall has come at 31/32. Even aside from Mario Williams who we all remember I think particularly of the likes of Simeon Rice and Jared Allen who were dominant, elite, NFL pass rushers in their 20s and then once the wrong side of 30 were ineffective very quickly. Brian Orakpo (who was in that very good but not elite category that I personally place Jerry in) experienced it just last year. The wall came for him and it came quick.

That isn't to undervalue Jerry Hughes at all. To me he is that category just below elite where he will sometimes have elite seasons (and I believe he did in 2018 and the 7 sacks didn't ever tell the full story as evidenced by the PFF numbers). I remember early 2015 when the Bills were negotiating an extension with him there was a school of thought on this board that many subscribed to that his production was a result of playing on a line with Mario, Kyle and Dareus and that, with the Bills already having big money committed to the first two of those and in negotiations for a major deal with the third, paying Jerry was an unnecessary luxury. I never subscribed to that theory and I believed re-signing him was an absolute no brainer. That decision and the contract that the Bills gave him was one of the best decisions the Whaley front office made.

I just think that the Bills have to be smart with this situation. Given we have cap room again in 2020 I wouldn't even be against (if Hughes has another productive year) tagging him for 2020 and letting him walk after that as a guy about to turn 33. But whatever they do with Jerry it is critical that the Bills draft a high ceiling, explosive pass rusher somewhere in the first two days of this draft. It is a really good class and the Bills need an infusion of youth and talent at the position.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I agree you wait to the end of the year before re-signing him  but the franchise tag is going to be near $20m for DE next year.

Indeed. But if you want to re-sign Hughes that is going to be his starting point for negotiations. He is going to start from $20m guaranteed over the life of whatever deal you want to give him.... 2 year or 3 years or whatever. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Tell me.. When we had Darius.. whom did give us some good years before he got lazy.. how come sack numbers were not higher then?

They were in the 43. Back to back 10 sack seasons Then Rex came along and forced a 34 defense on them and productivity dropped at multiple positions

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. But if you want to re-sign Hughes that is going to be his starting point for negotiations. He is going to start from $20m guaranteed over the life of whatever deal you want to give him.... 2 year or 3 years or whatever. 

If he has a similar year this year to last,  I think you offer him $36m for three years with $23m or so guaranteed so the team has an option if they bring him back the last year..

I think it would be a more civilised way to treat a guy who has given pretty good service to the team these past number of years..

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

They were in the 43. Back to back 10 sack seasons Then Rex came along and forced a 34 defense on them and productivity dropped at multiple positions

I am sorry.. This is just a lame excuse..  Look.. I am the first one to say I would Love Ed Oliver to fall right to us but Hughes has failed in sacks for to many years to start making excuses for him.

11 hours ago, KennyDavisEyes said:

Hughes is a great player - his biggest problem is that he often inexplicably fans on sacks where he had QB’s absolutely dead to rights.

Its the newer rules protecting the QB. It’s like he’s resigned him self to going for the strip, because you can barley hit them.

Not just Jerry 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1