Further evidence that Jerry Hughes is one of the best DE in the game?

The most underrated DE/edge rusher in the game

So Hughes was 2nd in pressures in the whole league and first on the right side , where he's battling the LT , usually the teams best OL.

He absolutely dominated the competition on that side though. 13 more than Garrett and 16 more than Clowney , both former #1 overall picks. 

For more context , Hughes was apart of a rotation and didn't have anyone else on the line that was elite at rushing the passer last year. Well maybe Lorax but he's only rushing the QB on a part time basis. 

When you look at these names , they are all considered elite  and commonly mentioned on a national level for their pass rushing ability. If you were to mention Hughes in the same conversation as these guys , most ppl would look at you like you have 2 heads . He is criminally underrated and last year was arguably his best season to date!

Jerry Hughes is a top 5 DE!

I think the Bills attempt to trade up for the top edge rusher or DT on their board to get Hughes some help while he's still in his prime. I also believe he is re signed for a 3 year deal after this season. Such an Elite talent that consistently causes havoc in the backfield , I'd be so happy to see another elite DE opposite Hughes.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Very good player. Not a great player, though. The great ones get sacks regardless of offensive scheme and regardless of who they line up with. He needs someone on the other side to bring pressure too, then his sack numbers will get back to double digits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WMDman said:

Jerry's a monster

He really is , and very good vs the run and rarely injured .  He hasn't had the sacks but just causes havoc in the backfield on a regular basis , with his sneaky cat like quickness . Off the top of my head I recall 3 separate plays where his pressure caused an INT.

I gotta feeling they trade up for  a DL , give Hughes another great pass rusher and those prrssures turn into more sacks, FF ,TFL and int.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He really is , and very good vs the run and rarely injured .  He hasn't had the sacks but just causes havoc in the backfield on a regular basis , with his sneaky cat like quickness . Off the top of my head I recall 3 separate plays where his pressure caused an INT.

I gotta feeling they trade up for  a DL , give Hughes another great pass rusher and those prrssures turn into more sacks, FF ,TFL and int.

Hopefully he won't get so blatantly held this season and it not get called and those numbers will go up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

The most underrated DE/edge rusher in the game

So Hughes was 2nd in pressures in the whole league and first on the right side , where he's battling the LT , usually the teams best OL.

He absolutely dominated the competition on that side though. 13 more than Garrett and 16 more than Clowney , both former #1 overall picks. 

For more context , Hughes was apart of a rotation and didn't have anyone else on the line that was elite at rushing the passer last year. Well maybe Lorax but he's only rushing the QB on a part time basis. 

When you look at these names , they are all considered elite  and commonly mentioned on a national level for their pass rushing ability. If you were to mention Hughes in the same conversation as these guys , most ppl would look at you like you have 2 heads . He is criminally underrated and last year was arguably his best season to date!

Jerry Hughes is a top 5 DE!

I think the Bills attempt to trade up for the top edge rusher or DT on their board to get Hughes some help while he's still in his prime. I also believe he is re signed for a 3 year deal after this season. Such an Elite talent that consistently causes havoc in the backfield , I'd be so happy to see another elite DE opposite Hughes.

This is why we need a beast at DT.

• Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, MJS said:

Very good player. Not a great player, though. The great ones get sacks regardless of offensive scheme and regardless of who they line up with. He needs someone on the other side to bring pressure too, then his sack numbers will get back to double digits.

Thats about all the response you deserve.  Its hard playing DE when the QB has a nice pocket to step into.  0 pressure up the middle.  Also Officials that target him.

9 minutes ago, eball said:

In another thread I was told Hughes is not dominant. So there. 

Probably MJS with his great analysis.

11 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I'd like to see the total number and percentage if snaps from each side. I I will Garrett rushed mostly from the right, but moved around a lot too. Hughes is great though, either way.

Well Garrett doesnt show up on the list of guys on the left.  Could you explain this?

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, eball said:

In another thread I was told Hughes is not dominant. So there. 

One statistic does not equate dominance.

Let's see some other supporting statistics such as number of snaps played, % of snaps pressure generated, number of double teams faced, etc.

I don't think any GM in the league would choose Jerry over any of the other guys on those charts.

16 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Thats about all the response you deserve.  Its hard playing DE when the QB has a nice pocket to step into.  0 pressure up the middle.  Also Officials that target him.

Probably MJS with his great analysis.

Well Garrett doesnt show up on the list of guys on the left.  Could you explain this?

It was my, not mjs.

Jerry isn't dominant.

Jerry is a solid to good player.

As I said before earlier in this post, one stat doesn't equate dominance.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Let's see some other supporting statistics such as number of snaps played, % of snaps pressure generated, number of double teams faced, etc.

I don't think any GM in the league would choose Jerry over any of the other guys on those charts.

It was my, not mjs.

Jerry isn't dominant.

Maybe someday you will learn the finer details of football.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I must disagree- great ones make the D better whether he is one making plays or not. No single defensemen can be great without others doing their part.

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

It was my, not mjs.

Jerry isn't dominant.

Well you clearly dont know what youre talking about. 

Anyhow...nobody is mentioning the fact that not only does he apply the most pressure from the right side...Im also sure he is the most HELD pass rusher from that side. And like his pressure numbers...its likely not even close

• Like (+1) 2

Jerry definitely gets pressure on opposing QB's which is great & what we need, but how many times does he whiff on sacks due to over pursuing or having the qb slip off his arms?

This isn't a hate post bcuz i love Jerry, but I still think Jerry loses control of his body sometimes while rushing. So i'd like to see that improve a bit, like he has improved on taking bad penalties & i think his sack numbers will only increase.

But I'd have a hard time paying Jerry top end money for an extended contract extension due to his age getting in that zone where a dropoff is expected, coupled with his lack of sacks. Past 3 years he's averaged 5.66 sacks per year... even worse if you go out another year further. So whats that worth you know? Not top end money like what i've seen mentioned

• Like (+1) 1