Hypothetical Mock, Who would u select @ #9

Converting and holding on third down..I think the lines are key on these downs..you take the player that best allows you to get off the field on third down on D or stay on the field on third down on O...

On Offense - Hockenson is a really good edge blocker who can both kick and seal and he is a threat in the quick passing game.

On D- Wilkins is solid against the backside cut back run and gets pressure up the middle .. which is important on third down to disrupt quick passing plays

Hockenson or Wilkins with a slight edge toward Wilkins since the Interior DL drop off is pretty steep after him and TE is deeper.

I like Christian Wilkins but I think we need to pump the brakes on him a little bit here. He's played next to 2 beasts and can only get 11sacks combined over the last 2 yrs. I see Wilkins as a Donte Witner type prospect he'll be a solid pro but nothing special. 

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Playing along, In this scenario, I’m ‘the Bills’ and select Burns.

But Burns is on a lighter side and has great athleticism so he's a shoe in to bust like the guy we took 10 YEARS AGO.

Based on some chatter, I'm starting to think the Bills have strong interest in Mr. Burns. I'm fully on board. The defense is a pass rusher away from being dominant and he's got a ton of the "P" word.

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

But Burns is on a lighter side and has great athleticism so he's a shoe in to bust like the guy we took 10 YEARS AGO.

Based on some chatter, I'm starting to think the Bills have strong interest in Mr. Burns. I'm fully on board. The defense is a pass rusher away from being dominant and he's got a ton of the "P" word.

I understand your point that just because Maybin was a bust, doesn't mean every undersized pass rusher will be.  Burns had much more consistent production than Maybin did.  Still, Burns has put on 20lbs since the season ended by working out constantly.  He is now only a little undersized for DE in the NFL, but I would worry that since he is not naturally that big and had to work so hard to gain weight, would he be able to maintain it during the season when he won't be able to maintain that kind of workout schedule with games, recovery days, minor injuries etc.?

Edited by OldTimer1960

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I understand your point that just because Maybin was a bust, doesn't mean every undersized pass rusher will be.  Burns had much more consistent production than Maybin did.  Still, Burns has put on 20lbs since the season ended by working out constantly.  He is now only a little undersized for DE in the NFL, but I would worry that since he is not naturally that big and had to work so hard to gain weight, would he be able to maintain it during the season when he won't be able to maintain that kind of workout schedule with games, recovery days, minor injuries etc.?

Valid points. I would have liked to see how many times he could throw up 225. I still like him as a prospect/Lorax replacement. The questions are there but so is the talent.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Valid points. I would have liked to see how many times he could throw up 225. I still like him as a prospect/Lorax replacement. The questions are there but so is the talent.

Might be interesting If they see him as an outside LB who they'll use often as a pass rusher.

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Might be interesting If they see him as an outside LB who they'll use often as a pass rusher.

I think that would be a distinct possibility, but the guy is 6'5 with a huge wingspan and demonstrated the ability to shed blockers at the collegiate level despite his lack of bulk. He's obviously athletic enough to drop into coverage. Just hasn't done it.

I wouldn't be at all disappointed with the pick. The coaching staff would have to be creative WRT his role because he is a unique player. But if you think he's got elite pass rush ability, he should be strongly considered.

I've always wanted to see the Bills land a Jevon Kearse type player and Burns is close to that.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Maybin did the same thing before the Combine.  Who can forget this pic?

image.png.b70540fd3854fadfdebbc117c26a6c82.png

It was always suspicious that they only showed him from the waist up.

If nothing else, Burns is a lot faster and more agile than Maybin was. But damn, he's skinny.

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think that would be a distinct possibility, but the guy is 6'5 with a huge wingspan and demonstrated the ability to shed blockers at the collegiate level despite his lack of bulk. He's obviously athletic enough to drop into coverage. Just hasn't done it.

I wouldn't be at all disappointed with the pick. The coaching staff would have to be creative WRT his role because he is a unique player. But if you think he's got elite pass rush ability, he should be strongly considered.

I've always wanted to see the Bills land a Jevon Kearse type player and Burns is close to that.

Burns at OLB next to 6'5" Edmunds at MLB... would have to be the biggest,  lankiest, fastest LBs in the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Burns at OLB next to 6'5" Edmunds at MLB... would have to be the biggest,  lankiest, fastest LBs in the league.

Wouldn't even need to get sacks. Just use them as shot blockers. Be like lining Mutombo up next to Mark Eaton. They can't catch it if never reaches the receiver.:D

56 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I like Christian Wilkins but I think we need to pump the brakes on him a little bit here. He's played next to 2 beasts and can only get 11sacks combined over the last 2 yrs. I see Wilkins as a Donte Witner type prospect he'll be a solid pro but nothing special. 

Umm, when you put it like that.......:wacko: