If you had Metcalf/Fant/Hockenson/Jacobs vs the field as our 1st pick, which would you pick?

Fant/Hockenson/Jacobs or the field?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to put money on it, would you think our 1st selection will be Metcalf/Fant/Hockenson/Jacobs or the field?

• The field
    • MetcalfFant/Hockenson/Jacobs

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Hockenson is a popular prediction for us so when BB talks about TEs who can block I can see why it would be easy to connect those dots.

Thanks for acknowledging that.

I try not to play the hypothetical game. Obviously you’d be crazy to pass on a game changing TE like that at 9. Unfortunately nobody can guarantee that’s how his career turns out. 

You might not be playing a hypothetical game, but you're still playing a different sort of game here... the scared shitless game. That's a game you could play literally with ANY pick at ANY position in ANY draft.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

There is no RB worthy of a top 10 selection this year. None. Hockenson? Eh, I could deal with it for the fact he is the best all around TE in this draft. Fant? No. Metcalf? I can see how a team would fall in love with the athleticism. Not my choice though. My darkhorse team for DK? Tampa. I can see Arians pulling the trigger. Where we sit @ 9 we have a chance to draft an elite talent on the defensive side of the ball. That is what I hope we do. 

From Jay Glazer's pre-draft mailbag over at The Athletic:

What’s more enticing to Buffalo at nine, completing the rehaul of the offense and giving Josh Allen a weapon or filling the underrated hole left at three-technique in the wake of Kyle Williams retiring? —Brandon B.

To be honest with you, this is a quarterback-driven game now. I would give them their version of Gronk, T.J. Hockenson from Iowa if he’s available. Team these two guys up so they can just grow together over the years, at least you would have two big, strong guys at quarterback and tight end so they can build the receivers around them. I think that’s the perfect fit, I think you can get a three-technique guy probably in the second round but if you have a guy in Hockenson who is such a grinder as a blocker, for a tight end, and he can catch the ball so well for a big guy like that, that’s who I would go for. He’s Gronk-like.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Remember it's just our 1st pick...

could be trade down...

could be trade UP...

and I think some are really underestimating our need at RB and the increasing value of the RB over the last few years.

I usually don't deal in absolutes BUT I will go all the way out on the "Beane will NOT draft a RB at #9" limb.

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

From Jay Glazer's pre-draft mailbag over at The Athletic:

What’s more enticing to Buffalo at nine, completing the rehaul of the offense and giving Josh Allen a weapon or filling the underrated hole left at three-technique in the wake of Kyle Williams retiring? —Brandon B.

To be honest with you, this is a quarterback-driven game now. I would give them their version of Gronk, T.J. Hockenson from Iowa if he’s available. Team these two guys up so they can just grow together over the years, at least you would have two big, strong guys at quarterback and tight end so they can build the receivers around them. I think that’s the perfect fit, I think you can get a three-technique guy probably in the second round but if you have a guy in Hockenson who is such a grinder as a blocker, for a tight end, and he can catch the ball so well for a big guy like that, that’s who I would go for. He’s Gronk-like.

Remember John Brown is as old as Shady/Gore

Edited by the skycap

Im quite baffled with some of the mock drafts out there.....trading back with Miami, are you kidding me???

Back to your post now.....All along Ive been hoping for more weapons for Josh, and first choice up to now has been DK Metcalf. BUT, Ive given much thought as to what position AFC rivals hurt us the most.... when they have the ball.....what player on the Pats has hurt us the most not named Brady?   Gronk.  I also don’t believe the hype that a TE isnt ‘worth’ such a high pick.  I hope we go TE with #9....but Id bet the field.

So anyone who has a subscription to The Athletic can view the 2019 Consensus Big Board:  Comparing Draft Forecasters vs Evaluators, which compiles 45 big boards of draft forecasters and evaluators for the top 300 prospects.

I'll just give the top 10 for the Forecasters and then the Evaluators.

Forecasters

1. Bosa

2. Q. Williams 

3. J. Allen

4. D. White 

5. Oliver

6. Sweat

7. R. Gary

8. Hockenson

9. K. Murray

10. J. Taylor

Evaluators 

1. Q. Williams 

2. Bosa

3. Oliver

4. J. Allen 

5. B. Burns

6. D. White

7. K. Murray

8. J. Williams 

9. Hockenson

10. J. Taylor

Bills draft at 9.

• Thank you (+1) 1

C'mon folks... I see this has moved, but I'm surprised it hasn't moved more.

Hockenson still seems like our most likely pick, to me.

Metcalf is a maybe.

Fant if we trade down... or trade up from the 2nd with our 2nd pick--but I won't remove him.

Jacobs is off the table at this point.

If I could replace him with someone it'd be Jonah Williams because I really think we're going offense early.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/940291/2019/04/23/from-dream-picks-to-trade-down-targets-the-bills-most-likely-options-at-no-9-in-the-draft/%3famp

From dream picks to trade-down targets, the Bills’ most likely options at No. 9 in the draft

The top options

Ed Oliver, defensive tackle, Houston

Kyle Williams’ departure has left a hole on the Bills’ defensive line at three-technique defensive tackle. Ed Oliver would be a welcome substitute. He was miscast as a nose tackle in Houston’s defensive scheme but is at his best when penetrating into the backfield. Both Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott attended Oliver’s pro day workout at Houston. It was one of just two pro days McDermott attended this year. If Oliver is available at No. 9, he will be tough to pass up. Brugler rates him as the No. 5 prospect in this draft and describes Oliver as an “ideal one-gap penetrator due to his athleticism, instincts and relentless nature, projecting best when he is lined up closest to the football.”

T.J. Hockenson, tight end, Iowa

It’s fair to question the value of drafting a tight end in the top 10 of the draft, but it’s a lot tougher to question the talent of T.J. Hockenson. When Brandon Beane talked about scouting tight ends, the first thing he mentioned was run blocking. Hockenson is the most complete tight end in this class due to his polish as a blocker and ability to do everything an NFL team will ask him to do. Brugler considers Hockenson to be the No. 6 player in this draft and an immediate starter with Pro Bowl potential. That doesn’t sound like a reach at No. 9.

Jonah Williams, offensive tackle, Alabama

Opinions vary on Jonah Williams. Some question whether he has the physical traits to play left tackle in the NFL and would prefer to see him play guard or center. However, he didn’t allow a sack at Alabama last season and has a proven track record as a tackle. He clearly offers versatility, and that should only boost his value. Williams also possesses an exemplary work ethic, keeping spreadsheets on his opponents while often watching more film on himself than his opponents. Brugler’s No. 4 overall prospect would fit right in on Buffalo’s remade offensive line.

Look guys I am not going to give the OP any crap - as I said I went field because to me they addressed offense during FA period and I think they wanted DLine and then Oline at 9.  The only potential pick from the OPs original group would have been Hock (maybe Fant with a move back and most other players selected) - I did not see Jacobs or Metcalf as legitimate first round picks for the Bills at all.

I will give the OP some credit because Hock did go off the board at 8 and if Detroit had gone Oliver instead - that could have been our pick, but I think then they actively try to trade back - especially with Pittsburgh for Bush.  I still think even then they go Oline over Fant, but that is only an opinion.

The board called it right with the field and that was the correct pick.

Edited by Rochesterfan