If you had Metcalf/Fant/Hockenson/Jacobs vs the field as our 1st pick, which would you pick?

Fant/Hockenson/Jacobs or the field?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to put money on it, would you think our 1st selection will be Metcalf/Fant/Hockenson/Jacobs or the field?

• The field
    • MetcalfFant/Hockenson/Jacobs

On 4/5/2019 at 9:47 PM, Just Joshin' said:

It seems like it is one vs the field as TJ is the only one with a shot at 9.

If all the DL studs are off the board, would not be disappointed with the best TE.

Exactly,  why are we including Fant or Jacob's?  Dumb

20 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

A RB elephant in the form of a HOFer walked into the room already. The team is better at RB today than when they left the field after the 2nd Dolphin game. Bills have virtually never given a ratsazz about TE. Heck, they played Kyle Williams there last season (ba dum bum). The DEs OP mentions are on their last contract year. That’s where we go. aka The Field.

And that goes for EVERY team in the league. TE is the lowest paid position in the NFL besides punters/kickers. They simply do not get you the impact that other skill positions get you. WR and RB will always be more important. Having a great TE is a luxury, not a necessity. And teams that have the great TE's don't usually spend super high draft picks on them, they just luck out with a lesser pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If this was an actual bet you could put money down on you'd have to make the field at least -350 in order to get equal money on each side of the bet.  So betting the field as an EVEN money bet would be an absolute no brainer.

I'd actually bet -350 on the field

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  why are we including Fant or Jacob's?  Dumb

I think discounting Jacobs is a mistake. There are a ton of factors that may suggest he's higher on the Bills board than many fans individual boards. While I personally don't believe he's the pick if we stay at 9, I believe he's firmly in the conversation in a yrade back situation. 

-Very versitle. Can catch, block and run. 

-Since coming to Buffalo the "power back" has been a priority each off season (Tolbert, Ivory and now Gore).

-Daboll is very familiar with him and was able to scheme a lot of plays for him. 

-Murphy and Ford combined for almost 90 offensive touches last year. With Gore and McCoy being older and missing games last year theres a high possibility we need a guy to handle touches this year.

-Don't forget, Beane was part of the FO that grabbed McCaffery high. Tells me how he values RB.

All of that is of course speculation on my part, but I believe it at the very least makes it a strong fit and strong possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

Tight end is a 3rd or 4th round pick this year.  A nice thing about TE is that you can shuffle in different one-dimensional players to create mismatches FASTER than the defense can substitute and change defensive formation.   A slow, blocking TE still has to be covered by the defense and if he is ignored  even the slow guys can run 40 yards in less than 5 seconds.  Safeties do the 40 about a half second slower.   If you estimate the separation, it is about 8-9 yards. So if you are lined up on the other teams "40" and give a slow TE a 9 yard head start or uncovered that much, he will beat a safety to the end zone.

My point is that you can get almost the same mileage from 2 tight ends with different performance envelopes as you can from somebody drafted in the first round.  Generational talents are different, but the cost to the rest of the team's positions is too high to be doing a crapshoot for a position where they block most of the time.

(see https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/03/nfl-combine-2019-results-tight-end-40-yard-dash-times-including-noah-fant-irv-smith-caleb-wilson-more.html )   https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-combine-top-40-yard-dash-times-at-each-position-as-unheralded-safety-posts-fastest-run-at-indy/

On 4/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I'll explain why.

Tight End is by far the weakest and thinnest position on our team right now.

If you listened to McDermott speak at the owners meeting and were paying attention, you'd realize that despite the fact that the Buffalo Bills have never really valued the Tight End position, McDermott does. He established talked glowingly about Gronk, Greg Olsen, and some guy that was in Philadelphia I don't remember. He talked about the importance of a Tight End for a young QB.

We have a young QB.

We have 3 Tight Ends on our roster right now with less than 90 career NFL catches between them... and one of those guys is going to be brand new to the position.

Hockenson has been pretty consistently ranked and mocked as high as 6 and no lower than in the 20s, so the theory that Beane will draft BPA could still put Hockenson (or Jacobs, who's also been in that same range) in a Bills uniform next year.

Trading down is always an option, and I just said "1st pick" in the OP, not "at 9," which is part of the reason I put Fant there because I could see us trading back for our 1st pick and then trading back into the 1st round with all those picks we've acquired to get an edge rusher/DL in a very defense-heavy draft.

Still shocked?

Now think about the impact Tight Ends have had on the game over the last decade or so and the front row seat the Bills have had to witness, but not be a part of that impact.

"The field" includes everyone.  There are some top notch defenders projected to go at the top of the first round and your poll makes them all available to the Bills. 

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Added Metcalf to the poll, which was just 13.22% without him. I'm curious what he adds to that number.

He's another offensive weapon, though, and that's where I think we go.

And as a guy who just doesn't follow college football, I didn't know the physical freak he really is! 

Changed my vote for Metcalf

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2019/4/9/18301463/2019-nfl-mock-draft-t-j-hockenson-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-dk-metcalf

9. Buffalo Bills: T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa

Warren: The Buffalo Bills have several holes on their roster, but none more glaring than at tight end. Head coach Sean McDermott has frequently mentioned it in interviews this offseason. After Buffalo signed six offensive linemen and three wide receivers in free agency, they need a dynamic and complete player at tight end to help quarterback Josh Allen develop.

While we considered Jawaan Taylor with this selection, taking a right tackle over a multi-dimensional player was ultimately too much for us when adequate right tackles will be available later. Ole Miss wide receiver D.K. Metcalf was also on our short list, but Hockenson’s blocking ability made him the pick over the receiver.

Analysis: A scroll is needed to keep track of all the free agency moves the Bills have made this offseason. In addition to those six offensive linemen and three receivers, don’t forget the Bills added serviceable, and immortal, running back Frank Gore and tight end Tyler Kroft.

As much as the Bills have done, you do have to wonder what they think of Metcalf. While they did sign three receivers — Cole Beasley, John Brown, and Andre Roberts — they’re all smaller receivers or play in the slot. Metcalf is a big outside target who excels on the type of deep routes that Allen specializes in throwing. Metcalf should still be in play for the Bills.

None of that is to say that Hockenson is a bad pick, though. He can help the run game with his blocking and is a very good receiver at tight end. If the Bills want a player who can work the underneath game while players like Brown and Roberts get deep, Hockenson is an excellent choice.

http://thehuddle.com/2019/04/08/2019-nfl-mock-draft/

2019 NFL mock draft: Round 1

9) Buffalo Bills | TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa

There is a ton of talent within the front seven of this defense, and adding another freak, like Rashan Gary, is absolutely in play. So is being a trading partner with Miami or Washington, if either team is looking to leapfrog Denver for a quarterback. The Bills could use a cornerback, and while Montez Sweat will be tough to ignore, adding another weapon for Josh Allen is a priority. Hockenson profiles as an elite tight end and helps round out a decent but not special offseason of additions to the passing game (John Brown, Tyler Kroft, Cole Beasley).

https://football.realgm.com/analysis/3145/The-2019-What-Jeff-Risdon-Would-Do-NFL-Mock-Draft

RealGM Analysis

The 2019 What Jeff Risdon Would Do NFL Mock Draft

BY JEFF RISDON

9. Buffalo Bills: T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa. In building an offense around Josh Allen at QB, the Bills need to upgrade the reliability of weaponry and add versatility at tight end. Hockenson is a very good blocker with great hands and upside as a receiver at all levels of the field. This is higher than I prefer to take a TE but he’s the best fit for what they need to make it work with Allen’s particular set of skills.

https://fansided.com/2019/04/08/buffalo-bills-dk-metcalf-draft-rumors/

Bills may be zeroing in on D.K. Metcalf at No. 9

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025021/article/charles-davis-2019-nfl-mock-draft-20-bengals-broncos-go-qb

Charles Davis 2019 NFL mock draft 2.0: Bengals, Broncos go QB

PICK

BUF.png

Noah Fant - TE

School: Iowa | Year: Junior 

The Bills could easily go with an offensive lineman here, and it would make sense, even though they did spend some capital in that area in free agency. However, a young, developing QB likeJosh Allen needs a TE who can become his go-to guy. I think Fant is the best TE in this draft.