WR draft prospects

mrags

16 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Fair enough. Agree that the context within those statistics is important.

My point was more along the lines of showing the poor fit between what people think they're drafting and who he's been so far. Sure, he could be a deep threat because he's fast, but that's also how you end up with Cordarrelle Patterson, and I think we can all agree that that's not who we're wanting to draft with our first round pick...

Agreed.  That not really what he is.  Drafting him to be that would be a mistake.  Looking what Buffalo has outside and where they lack?  Buffalo's offense needs a playmaker.  With Mccoys age I'm not sure he is still that guy, even giving him a pass for last season.  Second, press man who can win?  Beasley shown in the past to be able to do that but hes the only one.  As a rookie imo Campbell could offer both to the offense.  

9 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

We need a better jump ball/redzone threat WR.

That could be a TE.

Edited by Mat68

16 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Agreed.  That not really what he is.  Drafting him to be that would be a mistake.  Looking what Buffalo has outside and where they lack?  Buffalo's offense needs a playmaker.  With Mccoys age I'm not sure he is still that guy, even giving him a pass for last season.  Second, press man who can win?  Beasley shown in the past to be able to do that but hes the only one.  As a rookie imo Campbell could offer both to the offense.  

That could be a TE.

If we're talking the type of price that many on here are willing to pay for him (mid-late 1/early 2) then we're going to have to strongly agree to disagree. Give me DK, Harry, Butler, Brown or Samuel or Hardman (both of whom are better versions of what you're describing) over Campbell all day. This offense likely won't have one main playmaker, but it has 2 deep threats to stretch the defense vertically, two guys who can make plays in the intermediate game, and two RBs who can at least keep LBs honest... To me, this offense is lacking a guy who can be a bully, who can get first downs by boxing out a DB or go up and get a jump ball. That's decidedly not Campbell... 

If we're talking 3rd or 4th round, still wouldn't love it, but would be fine with it.

47 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

If we're talking the type of price that many on here are willing to pay for him (mid-late 1/early 2) then we're going to have to strongly agree to disagree. Give me DK, Harry, Butler, Brown or Samuel or Hardman (both of whom are better versions of what you're describing) over Campbell all day. This offense likely won't have one main playmaker, but it has 2 deep threats to stretch the defense vertically, two guys who can make plays in the intermediate game, and two RBs who can at least keep LBs honest... To me, this offense is lacking a guy who can be a bully, who can get first downs by boxing out a DB or go up and get a jump ball. That's decidedly not Campbell... 

If we're talking 3rd or 4th round, still wouldn't love it, but would be fine with it.

Campbell isnt my first choice.  If they went Hockinson or Fant I could see going Campbell as a real option in rd 2.  Idk how the draft falls, but a guy who can take any play for 6 and forces the defense to play horizontally adds to the offense.  

AJ Brown (would have to trade up into back half of first round to get him)

JJ Arcega-Whiteside (2nd round maybe a trade down)

Brown offers more versatility while JJ would provide jump ball/red zone production. Either WR should be productive right away.

22 hours ago, glazeduck said:

A lot of folks on here really want Parris Campbell, I presume because they think his fast 40 time equates to him being a deep threat. But a 4.5 yard average depth of target (aDOT) is the opposite of that. For every time he was targeted 20 yards downfield (for example) he would have to be targeted another 4 times at basically zero yards to accomplish that. And those are just targets! Add to that history of sketchy hands and I just can't see him being a good fit...

If we're looking for a big play guy on screens and whatnot, fine, but that seems to be the opposite of the team we're building. 

Our resident Ohio State Mafia all love him. I wouldn't touch him before round 3 at the earliest.

• Like (+1) 1