WR draft prospects

mrags

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Harry of ASU or Butler of ISU.  

This is about where I am right now. I’d throw in Aj Brown too. After that, I’m not sure if it’s worth it any earlier than Rd4 

3 hours ago, the skycap said:

Can be taught up, like Josh Allen was/is. Can't teach size, speed. Beane sees he's a hard worker and that T.O potential

So what you see on his tape is a hard worker who brings down all his 50/50 balls.... what I see is a guy who shows inconsistent effort to get off press, gives up early on some routes and isn't always as aggressive as he could be in contested catch scenarios. Now the plays where he puts it all together? On those plays he does flash rare ability. But for me to be comfortable taking a guy at #9 I need to have fewer question marks. 

If he turns into TO and you have passed on him are you gonna feel silly? Sure. But I just can't get myself to a point where I am comfortable. In all honesty I don't have a 1st round grade on any receiver in this class. DK will probably go in the 1st and if he goes back end of the first I'd understand that. But anywhere in the first 16 picks is too rich for me with the red flags that there are. 

First off DK, doesn't have fluid hips, he will struggle mightily in nfl. He's a physical presence no doubt but he can't run half of the route tree. He won't get in and outta breaks good enough to use his advantage in size and strength to consistently create separation agaisnt NFL corners. I see him struggling with injuries as well,  because of his stiffness. It'll be three years before he takes a step if at all. He needs to stop pumping up and start yoga, message and water therapy.

I like deebo samuel in the second round, reminds me of Hines ward. He can learn behind Beasley and become am amazing slot reciever. 

Or the 4th round I would take Anthony Johnson or riley ridley.

I would also like to see David sills in the 7th with second pick. 

I personally would love to get NKeal harry in the first, but not unless we're trading back. The value just isn't there at 9.

• Like (+1) 1

The only Ole Miss game I watched last year wasn't a good one for Metcalf.  He was a non factor when Greedy Wiliams covered him all game last year in LSU.  He dropped a couple of balls and couldn't win the 50/50 balls.  His drop history scares me considering the velocity Allen throws it at.  Small sample size I know. 

However, I wouldn't be angry if the Bills picked him because they know a lot more than I do and there's no denying his potential.  How many bigger strong, big WR's can run a 4.33?  I'd just prefer a d-line or tight end stud at that spot. 

I go 1 Metcalf 2 Butler after that it's a pick your preference.  I go Marquis Brown then Parris Campbell.  I would be happy with Buffalo leaving the draft with any of the aforementioned.  They all have elite traits that can play outside.  To me the rest of the guys are better suited as slot or big slot position.  

7 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Aside from being an athletic freak, what has DK done in college that says he will be an NFL superstar? He only had one decently productive season. The other seasons he got hurt. All the other top ten picks have been dominant in college for at least their senior season. I am not saying he wont be a difference making WR but AJ Brown has had twice the production. 

He played in nearly twice the games.  Metcalf had more yards and Tds at the time of his injury on less targets.  Looking at ability and potential who can do more in the NFL?  Its Metcalf.

23 hours ago, mrags said:

Ok, let’s all assume we are going to be picking a WR. After Brown and Beasley it’s not a 100% guarantee like it was before them, but it’s still very likely. 

What we we don’t know is when and where we will be drafting one. It could end up being Metcalf at 9. Or the 7th round where we try and get an unpolished turd and try and make him something special. 

Lets Get your opinions on WRs. From the top down, who do you want, who you don’t want, what round do you feel they will be drafted, etc...

ill start, there’s a couple WRs I really like or would be glad they drafted. I’ll start by saying I DO NOT LIKE small, short, WRs. I don’t care if they can flat out fly. I don’t want another Parrish or Goodwin. If you do, tell me why you think he’ll be any different than other small speedy WRs that often end up on injury reports. 

-D.K. Metcalf (Ole Miss)- is a beast and will most likely go by pick 15 in the draft. He’s got the size and physical attributes to become the next dominant WR in the league. Of course he could also bust and have you wondering what happened to him in 3 years. 

-Hakeem Butler (Iowa State)- More like Randy Moss than Megatron. Just like Metcalf, this kid has all the tools to become dominant. Will he show it in the NFL or flame out? I have no idea at all where he will be drafted. Prolly rounds 2-4. 

-Anthony Johnson (Buffalo)- I remember hearing about him last summer and I made it a point to try and watch some UB games to see what he was all about. He was injured a bunch and I didn’t get a chance to see him at all. I think a mid to late round guy that could be decent in the league given the right situation. 

Your turn. Give me a few WRs that you’d like to see. Give a early, mid, late pic. 

The Bills have shown zero interest in Butler. They didn’t scout any of his games. A catch rate in the mid-50% will do that 

AJ Brown - early 

terry mclaurin - mid

jakobi Myers - late 

I like Harry in the 2nd.  As someone already noted, we have outside deep speed that defense have to respect with Brown and Foster..  Harry and a playmaking TE would really help open up this offense.  They could work underneath with Beasley.  So Beasley, Brown, Foster and Roberts seem to be sure things.  We won't keep more than 6 WR.  That leaves 2 roster spots open for Zay, Duke, and whomever we draft.  So we won't draft 2 WR IMO, and a TE helps more than a WR.  I like Harry's value in the second, and his playmaking ability trumps Zay.  We will see what Duke brings.  I have hopes that he steps up and takes a spot on roster.  Zay, Duke, draft pick will be fascinating camp battle!

Edited by Pete

20 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

First off DK, doesn't have fluid hips, he will struggle mightily in nfl. He's a physical presence no doubt but he can't run half of the route tree. He won't get in and outta breaks good enough to use his advantage in size and strength to consistently create separation agaisnt NFL corners. I see him struggling with injuries as well,  because of his stiffness. It'll be three years before he takes a step if at all. He needs to stop pumping up and start yoga, message and water therapy.

I like deebo samuel in the second round, reminds me of Hines ward. He can learn behind Beasley and become am amazing slot reciever. 

I personally would love to get NKeal harry in the first, but not unless we're trading back. The value just isn't there at 9.

Agree with most of this. Not as big of a Deebo guy as you - I think he will be a decent NFL slot in time but not seeing Hines Ward upside. The guy I actually really like is Preston Williams out of Colorado State but given the off field issues I am not sure he will even be on the Bills' board. Pure tape evaluation I think he would be a second rounder.... with the red flags I suspect he goes later... maybe even well into day 3.... at that point he is worth the lottery ticket for me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2019 at 10:12 PM, mrags said:

Ok, let’s all assume we are going to be picking a WR. After Brown and Beasley it’s not a 100% guarantee like it was before them, but it’s still very likely. 

What we we don’t know is when and where we will be drafting one. It could end up being Metcalf at 9. Or the 7th round where we try and get an unpolished turd and try and make him something special. 

Lets Get your opinions on WRs. From the top down, who do you want, who you don’t want, what round do you feel they will be drafted, etc...

ill start, there’s a couple WRs I really like or would be glad they drafted. I’ll start by saying I DO NOT LIKE small, short, WRs. I don’t care if they can flat out fly. I don’t want another Parrish or Goodwin. If you do, tell me why you think he’ll be any different than other small speedy WRs that often end up on injury reports. 

-D.K. Metcalf (Ole Miss)- is a beast and will most likely go by pick 15 in the draft. He’s got the size and physical attributes to become the next dominant WR in the league. Of course he could also bust and have you wondering what happened to him in 3 years. 

-Hakeem Butler (Iowa State)- More like Randy Moss than Megatron. Just like Metcalf, this kid has all the tools to become dominant. Will he show it in the NFL or flame out? I have no idea at all where he will be drafted. Prolly rounds 2-4. 

-Anthony Johnson (Buffalo)- I remember hearing about him last summer and I made it a point to try and watch some UB games to see what he was all about. He was injured a bunch and I didn’t get a chance to see him at all. I think a mid to late round guy that could be decent in the league given the right situation. 

Your turn. Give me a few WRs that you’d like to see. Give a early, mid, late pic. 

I've watched Anthony Johnson for two seasons. He's a guy who doesn't have the measurables. All he does is catch the ball. And I think he'd be a great choice in Buffalo. Keep in mind Tyree Jackson wasn't the most accurate QB. Yet Johnson had a sense of how to get in position and make the catch, no matter what Jackson threw. If accuracy is still a concern with Allen, Johnson is well accustomed.

First Round:  DK Metcalf and N'Keal Harry

• DK may not make it to us, but right now I think he does make it to 9.  And if so, I am happy to take him at 9 
    • Jets could shock at 3, but with a pretty much guarantee of either Bosa or Quennin on the board (since AZ seems to be going Murray), just dont see them passing.  
    • Jags could try and get Foles a weapon, but they lost some pieces on defense and also need OL help badly, so seriously doubt they go WR at 7
    • Detroit could take him at 8 and try and recapture what Megatron and Stafford had, but still think they more likely go another direction
  • Harry I doubt would be the pick at 9, but if they were to go after Harry in the first, I think it would be in a trade up scenario from our 2nd rounder to get him after going maybe DL or TE with our first pick

Second Round:  Harry (if he falls out of the first, which I doubt), Butler, AJ Brown, M. Brown, P. Campbell

• I would be all over Harry if he slipped to the 2nd
  • Im very intrigued by Butler, and fine if we take him.  I am a little concerned about his drop rate and hands.  His highlight reel is amazing, but it doesn't show all the passes he dropped.  
  • I don't believe they will target any of the small speed guys given we have both Foster and Brown.  I think they will want a different type of WR, but I still included guys like M.Brown because talent is talent.  

There are a number of guys we could target in the mid rounds, but I honestly believe Beane still wants to get that big playmaker for Josh.  Brown and Beasley were good signings but I think Beane still wants that major impact guy on the outside still and will go after one in first 2 rounds.

I think one of these 3 will be chosen somewhere in first 2 rounds:  DK, Harry, or Butler - They bring things to the table not currently on this roster

Guys I do not want - Any that are one dimensional only with little chance to be more than that in the NFL.  

22 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

Mekale McKay, the AAF receiver the Bills are showing interest in, was described the same way

On 4/6/2019 at 4:19 AM, BillsFan1988 said:

Not fair on Isabella he played at UMass not a school that's on national TV every other week . I would say he's been talked about plenty based on where he played. 

He played great against UGA.

i like Riley Ridley in the 3rd-4th round. I think Ridley is going to be a good pro. 

As for a #1 wide receiver I am not really sure you need that anymore. The great offenses spread it around. Role players playing to their strengths is how NE has done it for years. Look at LA and KC, no stud WR there.

I don’t think the Bills view WR the same as a lot of posters here do. 

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of folks on here really want Parris Campbell, I presume because they think his fast 40 time equates to him being a deep threat. But a 4.5 yard average depth of target (aDOT) is the opposite of that. For every time he was targeted 20 yards downfield (for example) he would have to be targeted another 4 times at basically zero yards to accomplish that. And those are just targets! Add to that history of sketchy hands and I just can't see him being a good fit...

If we're looking for a big play guy on screens and whatnot, fine, but that seems to be the opposite of the team we're building. 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

A lot of folks on here really want Parris Campbell, I presume because they think his fast 40 time equates to him being a deep threat. But a 4.5 yard average depth of target (aDOT) is the opposite of that. For every time he was targeted 20 yards downfield (for example) he would have to be targeted another 4 times at basically zero yards to accomplish that. And those are just targets! Add to that history of sketchy hands and I just can't see him being a good fit...

If we're looking for a big play guy on screens and whatnot, fine, but that seems to be the opposite of the team we're building. 

To say he cant do more because OHio St didn't ask him to isnt accurate either.  Basically, Campbell ran the shallow cross or whip route all game and consistently ran away from NFL talent DBs at a remarkable clip.  At worst in Buffalo you have a freak athlete doing the gadget stuff McKenzie did last year.  Similar to Tareek Hill or Tarik Cohen a matchup nightmare. Best case he can develop into a deep threat that Hill has become and be a true threat anywhere on the field.   Foster and Brown outside Campbell motioning across the formation puts a ton of stress on a defenses principles.  Doing so makes humans make split second decisions on guys with 4.4 speed.  Looking at the offense used late last year Campbell surely would be able to be utilized.  Just doing what he did in college would make a difference.  I think his movement is special to be taught a full route tree to develop into a complete Wr not just a gadget player.  

Edited by Mat68

14 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

To say he cant do more because OHio St didn't ask him to isnt accurate either.  Basically, Campbell ran the shallow cross or whip route all game and consistently ran away from NFL talent DBs at a remarkable clip.  At worst in Buffalo you have a freak athlete doing the gadget stuff McKenzie did last year.  Similar to Tareek Hill or Tarik Cohen a matchup nightmare. Best case he can develop into a deep threat that Hill has become and be a true threat anywhere on the field.   Foster and Brown outside Campbell motioning across the formation puts a ton of stress on a defenses principles.  Doing so makes humans make split second decisions on guys with 4.4 speed.  Looking at the offense used late last year Campbell surely would be able to be utilized.  Just doing what he did in college would make a difference.  I think his movement is special to be taught a full route tree to develop into a complete Wr not just a gadget player.  

Fair enough. Agree that the context within those statistics is important.

My point was more along the lines of showing the poor fit between what people think they're drafting and who he's been so far. Sure, he could be a deep threat because he's fast, but that's also how you end up with Cordarrelle Patterson, and I think we can all agree that that's not who we're wanting to draft with our first round pick...