WR draft prospects

mrags

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Really liking Brown as I’m watching vids of him. He could be really good. Might be the best WR to come out. Has the size and speed. A true athlete. He seems like a good kid from a good family. Watching him play, he reminds me of AJ Green 

If anything I’d compare AJ Brown to Antonio Brown. Green is taller and leaner. He is more of a long strider with his height and more graceful route runner.

With AJ Brown he is versatile like Antonio in that he can play inside and out. AJ is a little bigger and thicker than Antonio so he has a little less burst and shake to him. However, they both track the ball well and for shorter WRs make contested catches on the outside with their ability to track and position themselves and their excellent body control. They have excellent run after catch ability and they can turn short wr screens into chunk plays. DJ Moore is another player comp that comes to mind when I see AJ Brown play. I just really like him as a playmaker and think he could be a great fit in our offense. 

Edited by racketmaster

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

If anything I’d compare AJ Brown to Antonio Brown. Green is taller and leaner. He is more of a long strider with his height and more graceful route runner.

With AJ Brown he is versatile like Antonio in that he can play inside and out. AJ is a little bigger and thicker than Antonio so he has a little less burst and shake to him. However, they both track the ball well and for shorter WRs make contested catches on the outside with their ability to track and position themselves and their excellent body control. They have excellent run after catch ability and they can turn short wr screens into chunk plays. DJ Moore is another player comp that comes to mind when I see AJ Brown play. I just really like him as a playmaker and think he could be a great fit in our offense. 

Not sure I see the upside of Antonio in AJ. My comps as pros are Randall Cobb and Golden Tate. I think that is where you are looking at AJ Brown. 

Beane has said that he likes receivers that can win in different ways and I like Hakeem Butler as the down field, above the rim, body type that is missing from the wide receiver group.  He has a wingspan just short of 7 ft. but has some drop issues.  Looking at his catches, his QB under threw him a bunch and he would turn into the defender and out fight him for possession.  Also, those throws looked nothing like what JA delivers, so that may be a problem.  Here's a  link to a nice Giant's article specifically about Hakeem and other lengthy WRs in this draft.  I'd bet the Bills get one of them:

tall-wide-receiver-prospects

Butler looks to be moving up the board to late 1st round territory, so the Bills may not get a shot at him at 40.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure I see the upside of Antonio in AJ. My comps as pros are Randall Cobb and Golden Tate. I think that is where you are looking at AJ Brown. 

I agree Gunner and he don't have the speed of Antonio. Cobb and Tate are perfect comps. Bills need big, physical. Speed with DK is an added bonus.

Edited by the skycap

55 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I agree Gunner and he don't have the speed of Antonio. Cobb and Tate are perfect comps. Bills need big, physical. Speed with DK is an added bonus.

My issues with DK are inconsistency based. He is supremely talented but looks like an immature player still with inconsistent production and inconsistent effort. If the Bills traded back I wouldn't be as much against it as a shot on talent but if they took him at #9 I would hate that pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

We still don't have a #1.

It's D.K.  You don't pass on a talent like that, particularly when you have a need at the position.

how many teams actually have a legit #1 WR? Many teams have won a lot of games without having a #1. 

4 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

how many teams actually have a legit #1 WR? Many teams have won a lot of games without having a #1. 

To me it's not (and never has been) about getting a "#1" -- to your point, that's a dying paradigm in the NFL. I've posted this before, but this is a great article that describes why: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/debunking-the-myth-of-the-weak-2019-wr-class.

To me, drafting DK would mean taking a chance on adding 3 VERY important aspects to the offense:

1. Big Play Ability -- we've got deep speed and guys who can win on short/intermediate routes, but we don't have a guy who can take a simple route to the house.
  2. Reliable Target on important downs -- obviously this is all assuming he pans out, but sometimes in football, you just need to have a guy that you know can go get you a first down... Who is that guy on the current roster? DK is fast, strong and physical and he wins contested balls (love his quote, calling 50/50 balls "99/1" balls

No question, he comes with some risk, but so does Ed Oliver, Noah Fant, N'Keal Harry... and guys like Wilkins, Hockenson, and others come with limited upside...

As I said in my first comment in this thread, swing for the fences...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

To me it's not (and never has been) about getting a "#1" -- to your point, that's a dying paradigm in the NFL. I've posted this before, but this is a great article that describes why: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/debunking-the-myth-of-the-weak-2019-wr-class.

To me, drafting DK would mean taking a chance on adding 3 VERY important aspects to the offense:

1. Big Play Ability -- we've got deep speed and guys who can win on short/intermediate routes, but we don't have a guy who can take a simple route to the house.
  2. Reliable Target on important downs -- obviously this is all assuming he pans out, but sometimes in football, you just need to have a guy that you know can go get you a first down... Who is that guy on the current roster? DK is fast, strong and physical and he wins contested balls (love his quote, calling 50/50 balls "99/1" balls

No question, he comes with some risk, but so does Ed Oliver, Noah Fant, N'Keal Harry... and guys like Wilkins, Hockenson, and others come with limited upside...

As I said in my first comment in this thread, swing for the fences...

Aside from being an athletic freak, what has DK done in college that says he will be an NFL superstar? He only had one decently productive season. The other seasons he got hurt. All the other top ten picks have been dominant in college for at least their senior season. I am not saying he wont be a difference making WR but AJ Brown has had twice the production. 

6 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Aside from being an athletic freak, what has DK done in college that says he will be an NFL superstar? He only had one decently productive season. The other seasons he got hurt. All the other top ten picks have been dominant in college for at least their senior season. I am not saying he wont be a difference making WR but AJ Brown has had twice the production. 

First of all, college productivity isn't any sort of guarantee in the pros. Mike Haas won the Belitnikoff award and was one of the more productive college WRs of all time and he couldn't even hang on a practice squad. USC's Mike Williams, Limas Sweed, David Terrell, etc....

DK's productivity -- when healthy (especially when accounting for the fact that he was playing alongside 2 other NFL-caliber WRs) -- can easily be considered "productive". It's not like the dude chose to get hurt. Couple that with his physical traits and you have the makeup of a potential star wr. If you're drafting him, you're not doing it based on what he was in college anyway; you're doing it based on what he could be in the pros, which, if he gets there, will be another step or two above guys like Harry, Brown, Butler, etc.

Edited by glazeduck

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My issues with DK are inconsistency based. He is supremely talented but looks like an immature player still with inconsistent production and inconsistent effort. If the Bills traded back I wouldn't be as much against it as a shot on talent but if they took him at #9 I would hate that pick. 

Can be taught up, like Josh Allen was/is. Can't teach size, speed. Beane sees he's a hard worker and that T.O potential

4 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Harry don't have the deep speed. Good route runner, RAC receiver.

I think this is kinda overrated at times. Foster and Brown are deep threats.  Harry is a guy that gets one on one matchups and makes big plays down the field.   Admittedly, I’ve been a big fan of his for 2 years but his qb was trash.  

3 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Can be taught up, like Josh Allen was/is. Can't teach size, speed. Beane sees he's a hard worker and that T.O potential

Difference is TO was a 3rd round pick.  DK terrifies me.  I think he ends up being a Ted Ginn type player.  Not terrible but not worth 9 overall.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think this is kinda overrated at times. Foster and Brown are deep threats.  Harry is a guy that gets one on one matchups and makes big plays down the field.   Admittedly, I’ve been a big fan of his for 2 years but his qb was trash.  

It's true, Harry did not benefit from good QB play and despite a lack of deep speed (which, you're right, we already have on the roster), he DOES bring great YAC ability.  I'd be very okay in a trade down situation with Harry... 

Biscuit, DK QBs were terrible as well. Look what Shea Patterson did for Michigan. Yes T.O was a 3rd pick because teams did to him what they're doing to DK and because he played at a small school. I ask you if you had the opportunity to draft T.O or Josh Gordon with your 1st Rd pick, would you? Hypothetically speaking.

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

It's true, Harry did not benefit from good QB play and despite a lack of deep speed (which, you're right, we already have on the roster), he DOES bring great YAC ability.  I'd be very okay in a trade down situation with Harry... 

I, personally don't see Beane looking for that. Not with Josh talent. They want to stretch the defense and have that guy that can make the 50/50 catch which DK has shown the ability to do.

2 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

10 out of 12 playoff teams from this past season, for starters.  (Ravens, Patriots)

Edited by Chicken Boo