WR draft prospects

mrags

Ok, let’s all assume we are going to be picking a WR. After Brown and Beasley it’s not a 100% guarantee like it was before them, but it’s still very likely. 

What we we don’t know is when and where we will be drafting one. It could end up being Metcalf at 9. Or the 7th round where we try and get an unpolished turd and try and make him something special. 

Lets Get your opinions on WRs. From the top down, who do you want, who you don’t want, what round do you feel they will be drafted, etc...

ill start, there’s a couple WRs I really like or would be glad they drafted. I’ll start by saying I DO NOT LIKE small, short, WRs. I don’t care if they can flat out fly. I don’t want another Parrish or Goodwin. If you do, tell me why you think he’ll be any different than other small speedy WRs that often end up on injury reports. 

-D.K. Metcalf (Ole Miss)- is a beast and will most likely go by pick 15 in the draft. He’s got the size and physical attributes to become the next dominant WR in the league. Of course he could also bust and have you wondering what happened to him in 3 years. 

-Hakeem Butler (Iowa State)- More like Randy Moss than Megatron. Just like Metcalf, this kid has all the tools to become dominant. Will he show it in the NFL or flame out? I have no idea at all where he will be drafted. Prolly rounds 2-4. 

-Anthony Johnson (Buffalo)- I remember hearing about him last summer and I made it a point to try and watch some UB games to see what he was all about. He was injured a bunch and I didn’t get a chance to see him at all. I think a mid to late round guy that could be decent in the league given the right situation. 

Your turn. Give me a few WRs that you’d like to see. Give a early, mid, late pic. 

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

-Anthony Johnson (Buffalo)- I remember hearing about him last summer and I made it a point to try and watch some UB games to see what he was all about. He was injured a bunch and I didn’t get a chance to see him at all. I think a mid to late round guy that could be decent in the league given the right situation. 

Your turn. Give me a few WRs that you’d like to see. Give a early, mid, late pic. 

Last May CBS Sports had him as high as #11.Leipold held him back,as you know,to be saved for a top bowl game,which never happened.Good news...Beane attended a game in person and gave him a positive report...which means nothing.

Face facts..he can burn,he sheds,is strong but his hammy is the issue.Yolo dropped him to the 4th round.

I would take him in a heartbeat with our first #4.

Edited by Misterbluesky

Great topic...

WANT

• Mid-first:
    • DK Metcalf -- a lot on this board don't want him, and I get it, but I want a dynastic Bills team, not a *good* team... I say swing for the fences -- that's DK.
  • Late first/early/mid-second:
    • Butler -- tantalizing potential and not hard to see how a guy with his catch radius could help a QB with less-than-pinpoint accuracy.
    • Harry -- love how physical he plays. With Smokey and Foster stretching the sidelines, he could be a matchup nightmare against smaller DBs and/or LBs.
    • AJ Brown/Deebo Samuel -- smaller dudes but would be very happy with either. Brown just seems to be a natural, but I question his ceiling... I LOOOOOOVE Samuel. If we didn't have an entire roster of 6' WRs I'd be dying for him to join the Bills, but would ideally like a bigger dude.
  • Mid-rounds:
    • Riley Ridley -- seems to have a safe floor and a high ceiling... may end up being a great value.
    • Mecole Hardman -- kills me that we signed Beasley to such a big deal because this guy is exactly who we need. Multipurpose weapon, great kick returner, innate ability to get open in the slot... Probably won't happen but he'll definitely be a fun one to watch.
    • Miles Boykin -- craaaaaazy potential, seems like the type of guy we could let grow slowly with 4 solid WRs. 
  • Late:
    • Antoine Wesley -- poor man's Butler
    • Preston Williams/Anthony Johnson/Lil'Jordan Humphrey/Tyre Brady -- prototype big WRs with "artificial" (or at least superficial) deflation
    • Jalen Hurd -- just starting to play the position. Great athlete, big upside.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

• First Couple Rounds:
    • JJ Arcega-Whiteside -- TE in a WRs body, one-trick pony (and that trick is starting to die out in the analytics-driven NFL)
    • Parris Campbell -- Speed blinds, drops nullify. 
    • Kelvin Harmon -- Separation is the name of the game in the NFL these days. If he was a Metcalf-like athlete he'd be a no-brainer, but bad athleticism coupled with poor ability to separate means trouble against pro DBs.
    • Isabella -- Sorry, just don't see it. If he was as good as many here think he is, we would've heard of him prior to the senior bowl. 
  • Later: 
    • Hunter Renfrow -- Small hands aren't worth what he could produce... Not like he's the second coming of Randy Moss.
    • David Sills -- See JJAW, pedestrian athlete. As a UDFA, sure, but don't waste a draft pick on him.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Buffalo does draft a WR, my preference would be that they pick up a guy with size to balance out the group some.  Robert Foster is not a smurf at 6'2" and Duke Williams has some nice size to him, but we could use a bit more.  There are lots of receivers in this draft with size.  I'm pretty intrigued by Miles Boykin.  He needs some development, but he's an elite athlete and has a great attitude.  There are other too.  It's not limited to DK Metcalf and Hakeem Butler.

9 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

If Buffalo does draft a WR, my preference would be that they pick up a guy with size to balance out the group some.  Robert Foster is not a smurf at 6'2" and Duke Williams has some nice size to him, but we could use a bit more.  There are lots of receivers in this draft with size.  I'm pretty intrigued by Miles Boykin.  He needs some development, but he's an elite athlete and has a great attitude.  There are other too.  It's not limited to DK Metcalf and Hakeem Butler.

We can always hope, but I think the best way to think about Williams is as a free lotto ticket -- don't expect him to be anything, but if he pays off it's (obviously) gravy...

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Great topic...

WANT

• Mid-first:
    • DK Metcalf -- a lot on this board don't want him, and I get it, but I want a dynastic Bills team, not a *good* team... I say swing for the fences -- that's DK.
    • Butler -- tantalizing potential and not hard to see how a guy with his catch radius could help a QB with less-than-pinpoint accuracy.
    • Harry -- love how physical he plays. With Smokey and Foster stretching the sidelines, he could be a matchup nightmare against smaller DBs and/or LBs.
    • AJ Brown/Deebo Samuel -- smaller dudes but would be very happy with either. Brown just seems to be a natural, but I question his ceiling... I LOOOOOOVE Samuel. If we didn't have an entire roster of 6' WRs I'd be dying for him to join the Bills, but would ideally like a bigger dude.
  • Mid-rounds:
    • Riley Ridley -- seems to have a safe floor and a high ceiling... may end up being a great value.
    • Mecole Hardman -- kills me that we signed Beasley to such a big deal because this guy is exactly who we need. Multipurpose weapon, great kick returner, innate ability to get open in the slot... Probably won't happen but he'll definitely be a fun one to watch.
    • Miles Boykin -- craaaaaazy potential, seems like the type of guy we could let grow slowly with 4 solid WRs. 
  • Late:
    • Preston Williams/Anthony Johnson/Lil'Jordan Humphrey/Tyre Brady -- prototype big WRs with "artificial" (or at least superficial) deflation

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

• First Couple Rounds:
    • JJ Arcega-Whiteside -- TE in a WRs body, one-trick pony (and that trick is starting to die out in the analytics-driven NFL)
    • Kelvin Harmon -- Separation is the name of the game in the NFL these days. If he was a Metcalf-like athlete he'd be a no-brainer, but bad athleticism coupled with poor ability to separate means trouble against pro DBs.
    • Isabella -- Sorry, just don't see it. If he was as good as many here think he is, we would've heard of him prior to the senior bowl. 
  • Later: 
    • Hunter Renfrow -- Small hands aren't worth what he could produce... Not like he's the second coming of Randy Moss.
    • David Sills -- See JJAW, pedestrian athlete. As a UDFA, sure, but don't waste a draft pick on him.

So, admittedly I haven’t watch much of Harry. Wasn’t a fan of his from the first few vids that I watched. Also heard on the Metcalf reports that he was the opposite. Nothing but short screens and no deep balls. 

I’ll say this, after your post I really watched a few vids of him and man do I like him. I feel like it’s a toss up between Neal and Butler who may have the best pro careers. Completely different WRs honestly.

Butler reminds me so much of Moss how he is tall and lengthy. He will dominate in that kind of role. 

Neal reminds me of Julio Jones. Sees like he’s got all the tools and serious physical attributes to do it all. He’s not going to the the streak monster down the sideline that Metcalf or Butler can be, but he can do it all at a high level. 

Id be perfectly on with either of these guys in the mid to late 1st or anywhere after. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

So, admittedly I haven’t watch much of Harry. Wasn’t a fan of his from the first few vids that I watched. Also heard on the Metcalf reports that he was the opposite. Nothing but short screens and no deep balls. 

I’ll say this, after your post I really watched a few vids of him and man do I like him. I feel like it’s a toss up between Neal and Butler who may have the best pro careers. Completely different WRs honestly.

Butler reminds me so much of Moss how he is tall and lengthy. He will dominate in that kind of role. 

Neal reminds me of Julio Jones. Sees like he’s got all the tools and serious physical attributes to do it all. He’s not going to the the streak monster down the sideline that Metcalf or Butler can be, but he can do it all at a high level. 

Id be perfectly on with either of these guys in the mid to late 1st or anywhere after. 

My comment on DK wasn't referring to deep balls, although he could absolutely be a deep ball nightmare... I was saying "go big or go home" -- go for the special player, not the really good one...

Butler isn't the athlete that Moss was and ditto for Julio and Harry. But definitely think they'll both have good careers. 

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

We still domt have a #1.

It's D.K.  You don't pass on a talent like that, particularly when you have a need at the position.

Medicals have to check out, but if they do, 100% agree.

I think you can even trade down and still get him.

4 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

My comment on DK wasn't referring to deep balls, although he could absolutely be a deep ball nightmare... I was saying "go big or go home" -- go for the special player, not the really good one...

Butler isn't the athlete that Moss was and ditto for Julio and Harry. But definitely think they'll both have good careers. 

Medicals have to check out, but if they do, 100% agree.

I think you can even trade down and still get him.

I know what you meant with D.K.  I’m all over on him. Was in love with him. Then o backed off after I thought about it. Then back on the train again. Then back off cuz I worry about the injury issues and lack of production in college. 

I know Butler is no Moss and Harrybos no Julio. I was simply saying that when watching them those are the guys they remind me of. Body style. Play style. Etc. 

Neal may be the best WR in the draft and might not even be close. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

I know what you meant with D.K.  I’m all over on him. Was in love with him. Then o backed off after I thought about it. Then back on the train again. Then back off cuz I worry about the injury issues and lack of production in college. 

I know Butler is no Moss and Harrybos no Julio. I was simply saying that when watching them those are the guys they remind me of. Body style. Play style. Etc. 

Neal may be the best WR in the draft and might not even be close. 

I got ya... Yeah, I can see those styles being similar...

Honestly, I think Brown and Samuel are the best bets to be the top WR in the class but we NEED a physical big body. Of those 3, I do think Neal has the highest floor, without question...

I’d really like the Bills to find their way to AJ Brown even if it means trading back up into the back half of the first round. I think he will be a plug and play wr and a playmaker that our offense could use. His versatility to play multiple wr spots should also be appealing to Daboll. To me Brown is the best wr in the draft and the only wr I would take in the first round. there are some others I like in the second but if Beane could find the right trading partner I’d be really happy to land Oliver/Sweat and AJ Brown. That would be a homerun. 

24 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I’d really like the Bills to find their way to AJ Brown even if it means trading back up into the back half of the first round. I think he will be a plug and play wr and a playmaker that our offense could use. His versatility to play multiple wr spots should also be appealing to Daboll. To me Brown is the best wr in the draft and the only wr I would take in the first round. there are some others I like in the second but if Beane could find the right trading partner I’d be really happy to land Oliver/Sweat and AJ Brown. That would be a homerun. 

Really liking Brown as I’m watching vids of him. He could be really good. Might be the best WR to come out. Has the size and speed. A true athlete. He seems like a good kid from a good family. Watching him play, he reminds me of AJ Green 

look at our additions, I really don’t think we’ll be drafting any WRs in rd 1-3.  Maybe a late rd flyer on some upside.  

If we do draft someone, pray that they have great hands.  I’m not even worried about guys getting open.  Guys can be schemes open.  I think Josh will get them the ball.  They just need to be able to catch it.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

look at our additions, I really don’t think we’ll be drafting any WRs in rd 1-3.  Maybe a late rd flyer on some upside.  

If we do draft someone, pray that they have great hands.  I’m not even worried about guys getting open.  Guys can be schemes open.  I think Josh will get them the ball.  They just need to be able to catch it.  

Guess that means no Metcalf. Lol

5 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Great topic...

WANT

• Mid-first:
  • Mid-rounds:
  • Late:

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

• First Couple Rounds:
  • Later: 

Not fair on Isabella he played at UMass not a school that's on national TV every other week . I would say he's been talked about plenty based on where he played. 

I started the process of putting together a WR board back in November or early December believing it to be a deep group of potential NFL contributors but one lacking star true #1 NFL type. 

At that point the #1 on my board was the smooth, safe, solid but unspectacular AJ Brown. I have since watched a hell of a lot of tape and at different times have leaned towards Metcalf and Harry and others but when it came down to it and I went through my final film reviews I ended where I began. With AJ Brown as the solid if unspectacular WR1 on my board. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1