What NFL executive is this?!!!

eball

It's also weird that he seems to equate Beasley with Brown.

The whole point of Beasley is that he's a quick slot guy, not a guy that needs a 7 step drop and tons of time to get open. Unless I'm missing something.

So the two main additions at WR serve very different functions. Seems like part of a plan to get more flexibility into the offense. I'm sure Beane would love to add a reliable big guy too. The offseason is far from over.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I still want the Bills to utilize draft resources on blocking, but it is hard to knock these deals that don't lock us in for years.

It’s very odd. Almost as if this “executive” is mad that Beane did things differently than the teams who throw stupid money at FAs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

No plan?

All kidding aside...I mean, wow.  Feel free to question whether the signings are good ones, but to say there is no plan?

This sounds like the ramblings of somebody who may be a bit envious of how much the Bills were able to accomplish in FA.

If that is coming from an NFL executive, I feel sorry for whatever team he's running.

You don't like the players the Bills signed?  Fair enough.

But to say they don't have a PLAN?  That's just odd.  If anything can be gathered from this offseason, it's that Beane had a clear strategy on where he wanted to improve and he executed it.  We filled almost all of our holes prior to the draft, still have nearly $30 million in cap space and made virtually no long-term financial commitments.

Our blocking was terrible last year.  He has signed six new players to the O-Line.

Our receivers were bad last year.  He's added two new players to that position.

He's even addressed the special teams with a handful of guys who are considered ST aces.

We go into the draft in 3 weeks with only a few needs - DE, DT and TE.

The strongest positions in this draft class?  DE, DT and TE.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Somebody would have to have their head in the sand to not see a plan is clear. Whether it works or not is for a different debate. 

Doesnt it make you wonder how this dude is an Exec? Haha 

Exactly, it's not necessarily the right plan, but to argue there's no plan is strange. This off-season is one of the most obviously planned ones (and a pretty clever one at that) i've ever seen.

You have a young QB who in his rookie year proved he's worth giving a real shot, so you get a bunch of experienced linemen, all of whom have been better pass-blockers than run-blockers, and sign them to contracts you can escape from within a year so you can do your due diligence and find the best five starters and three backups to give Allen the best chance to succeed, plus you also get fast, deep threat receivers since your QB has one of the stronger arms in history. They still have the sixth most salary cap space in the league and top ten next year (and many ways to free up money if some of these guys don't work). 

Will it work? We'll see. But it's about as definitive a plan as I've seen from this team in my lifetime -- or at least since the 80s when I was first starting to follow them.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, eball said:

It’s very odd. Almost as if this “executive” is mad that Beane did things differently than the teams who throw stupid money at FAs. 

Seriously, my immediate thought after reading the quotes was it didn't have a tone of objectivity - and I am not one that gets upset when critical things are written about the Bills (as much of it has usually been true).

I can see not liking the players but there is clearly a plan.

The O line and receivers sucked last year. So they signed 8 people to those positions

Corner Depth was an issue last year, so they signed some highly talented players who have played extremely well in the past. They have injury issues which you could argue is a problem, but we keep hearing about the high level of treatment available for players as a reason guys sign here

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

No plan?

All kidding aside...I mean, wow.  Feel free to question whether the signings are good ones, but to say there is no plan?

This sounds like the ramblings of somebody who may be a bit envious of how much the Bills were able to accomplish in FA.

Will someone please tell Gettlemen to shut-up?!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

The three primary areas of weakness at the end of last season:

1. Offensive Line: Hired new offensive line coach and signed 6 offensive linemen, including, arguably, the best Center available.

2. Receiver: Signed three receivers

3. Special Teams: Hired new special teams coach and signed several ST players, including, again arguably, the best return guy in free agency

Free Agency isn't even over and the draft has yet to take place.

Yep - no plan at all.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

No plan?

Make your headline more descriptive, pretty please.

As for the article, yeah, saw it yesterday, and it's a bit ridiculous that that unnamed guy would say that.

Say that you disagree with the plan? Fair enough. Say that you think the plan is likely to bear fruit in your opinion? OK, that's an opinion. But that he doesn't have a plan? Nonsense.

1 hour ago, eball said:

No plan?

Maybe the source is Doug Whaley or Russ B!!

21 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The three primary areas of weakness at the end of last season:

1. Offensive Line: Hired new offensive line coach and signed 6 offensive linemen, including, arguably, the best Center available.

2. Receiver: Signed three receivers

3. Special Teams: Hired new special teams coach and signed several ST players, including, again arguably, the best return guy in free agency

Free Agency isn't even over and the draft has yet to take place.

Yep - no plan at all.

I'd say arguably one of the two best!  But still not a bad signing by any means

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Certainly NFL GMs are going to have a range of team building philosophies.  Maybe there's more than one approach that can lead to success.  It's possible this unnamed "NFL executive" (GM?) is correct, but it's also possible he just doesn't get Beane's approach.  Beane certainly has rolled the dice a few times on player health, but in the case of a player like Kevin Johnson, he's got a number of good CBs in the stable.  Maybe Johnson won't have to play as many snaps because of that and the risk of injury will be somewhat reduced.  We'll have to see.

2 hours ago, eball said:

No plan?

This was my thought too. There is CLEARLY a plan. Now, if you don’t like the plan, fine, but it isn’t confusing. They signed: Long, Felciano, Waddle, Nsekhe, Spain and Morse. The plan was to upgrade the OL in FA. They added 2 TEs and 2 WRs as well. They lacked talent on offense and tried to upgrade that.

If there really is a Person making these quotes and not Some reporters thinking credited to his unnamed source 

if there really is a Executive making these. I am going with Jets being Salty over Morse. 

Edited by MAJBobby