Thoughts on new Oline?

dayman

Can you guys help me think through the line? Los of topics about improvements which I agree with b/c we got a bunch of new guys but looking through the wiki for each quickly (since I'm not that familiar with them)...isn't the center the only one guy that's unambiguous starting quality guy? So him plus Dawkins leaving us with 2 confirmed solid Olineman? 

Edited by dayman

Well, I'm pretty sure Mitch Morse is a huge upgrade to Russell Bodine and dare I say it he is also an upgrade over Eric Wood which says a lot and this says a lot about how good Morse is because I view #70 as an all time great. Dion Dawkins is also a better player than given credit for, I think he'll have a rebound year. He stuttered largely because of the marginal talent he was surrounded by. LG, RG and RTis still an enigma to me. Just keeping it real.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like we are now completely set at 4 of the positions.  We have an option at RT, but I think that's the only spot left for them to bring in competition.  I wouldn't be shocked if they went OT at 9 still.  Either way, it's infinitely better than it was before

They haven't practiced together yet.

Outside of a know-it-all soothsayer, no one could formulate an intelligent serious opinion on the new O-line so soon.

Unless one is throwing darts at this.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm no OL guru like some here, but this is how I see it.

-Morse is a huge improvement.

-Tellar will have to earn play time this year. Spain and Feliciano are steady players with experience.

-They brought in not 1 but 2 of the better swing tackles. One will likely win the RT job. I know Nsheke was signed first and for more money, but I like Waddles chances. 

-Dawkins had a down year but sounds really motivated to turn it around. I wouldn't count him out for a bounce back and having better talent around him will help that.

Wouldn't shock me to see a tackle taken high, but also wouldn't be that big a shock if they wait until late day 2 or 3.

I am an all-knowing soothsayer.  These were not random dart throws.  These are players that Beane and company feel will make us a much better team.  I think they actually have too many players now.  But that is an opinion, not a fact from an all-knowing soothsayer.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Great Center and MANY movable parts along the rest of the line that will all shake out during camp. Love the fact that they all need to compete to be starters. Dion has an inside track to at least start (LT, LG?, RT?), but the rest will need to earn a spot. The great thing is, they are all average-to-above-average players... so by the time the starting 5 is established, I don't foresee any weak links. Last year we had 3 1/2 weak links. This is the massive OL overhaul they've needed for 20 years. Love it. Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

Spain and Long are/were longtime starters and I expect them to win the starting OG spots.  If someone beats them out, so much the better. At RT it’s either Nsekhe or Waddle, but my money’s on Nsekhe.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Spain and Long are/were longtime starters and I expect them to win the starting OG spots.  If someone beats them out, so much the better. At RT it’s either Nsekhe or Waddle, but my money’s on Nsekhe.  

I think Feliciano will be the RG and beat out Long there.  Long will be the C/G swing guy.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11

1 hour ago, dayman said:

Can you guys help me think through the line? Los of topics about improvements which I agree with b/c we got a bunch of new guys but looking through the wiki for each quickly (since I'm not that familiar with them)...isn't the center the only one guy that's unambiguous starting quality guy? So him plus Dawkins leaving us with 2 confirmed solid Olineman? 

I'm not even sure Dawkins is truly a quality player. 

There will be alot of competition which will hopefully give them a league average line this year. My guess for starters is Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Long-Nsekhe. Feliciano provides guard/center depth.

• Like (+1) 2

I really like what Beane has done with the Oline.  I like that we have veterans at every position.  It is deep.  Cuts will be tough.  Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Long-Nyseke with Teller, Waddle, Feliciano, Boettger, Sirles, Fisher as reserves.  We will most likely only keep 8 OL.  So for those who still want to draft OL- we have to cut 3 reserves as is.  For every OL drafted, we will have to cut an additional OL.  I am quite pleased that OL is set.  Now we can concentrate on drafting playmakers at TE, RB, WR, and Defense!

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

Well a few years ago some one on here said draft a QB every year until we get a good one. Now I see this OL off season as the some what the same. Bring in a lot of OL and let them complete until the starting 5 show up and take the jobs. GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1

My guess is we roll with:

Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Long - Nsekhe

Waddle - Feliciano - Teller

Maybe it’s not a Top 5 OL out the gate, but it’s got a lot of potential, experience and depth. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My only fear is they spend too much time during camp "tinkering" and doesn't give the eventual starting five time to develop teamwork.  I'd go with Morse, Spain and Dawkins at three slots and unless someone comes out of the blue to beat them out, you're set there. That leaves two slots with 2 to 3 guys battling it out for each.  And again would try and settle quickly on the winner at both.

I will predict one of the signings will get cut as not sure you'll want to have that much money for the backups at the expense of cutting all the young cheap guys. They seem to like Sirles and not sure they are ready to give up on Ike or McDermott yet. Think if it's close between one of these three and the FA signings, one of the FA signings may be the one to be cut.

• Like (+1) 3