#TGIF 1965 AFL Title Game

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!  Before my time but I pretty saavy on Bills history and love watching stuff like this!

You’re welcome! I love that we were Great! We had no idea at the time how rare this would be..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, custcarcen said:

Loved it thanks! Defense wins Championships. Great pressure from Sestak, Day, Dunaway and McDole on the front four. And watch Jacobs, Tracy and Stratton ! Those LBs made an incredible # of tackles in the secondary.

Sestak was double teamed nearly every play. DC Joe Collier is credited with being the architect of the Safety Blitz and George Saimes made a career off it with OL’s so occupied with our front 4! GREAT stuff indeed!

• Like (+1) 1

I noticed Harry Jacobs ( the Baby-Faced Assassin) in the beginning of the video talking to Joe Collier, the Defensive Coordinator, and Paul Costa and Ernie Warlick. FYI, the color analyst for this video, George Ratterman, was the starting QB for the Buffalo Bisons football team, of the All America Conference in the mid to late 1940’s. Thanks for posting. I remember watching this game and becoming a Bills fan that day!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I used live in San Diego and drive past the former balboa park football field right off the 5 freeway. I hear the and see the ghost and look over there.

And again how is number #42 not on the hall of fame out at rich stadium. What a frigging joke.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I used live in San Diego and drive past the former balboa park football field right off the 5 freeway. I hear the and see the ghost and look over there.

And again how is number #42 not on the hall of fame out at rich stadium. What a frigging joke.

Butch was an absolute Freak! Built like a linebacker, speed of a DB and hands of a Receiver! I don’t think there’s ever been another CB look like him. He holds the team record for career INTS @ 40 in an injury shortened career. I didn’t know he WASN’T on the WOF. ???

WTH?!

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I noticed Harry Jacobs ( the Baby-Faced Assassin) in the beginning of the video talking to Joe Collier, the Defensive Coordinator, and Paul Costa and Ernie Warlick. FYI, the color analyst for this video, George Ratterman, was the starting QB for the Buffalo Bisons football team, of the All America Conference in the mid to late 1940’s. Thanks for posting. I remember watching this game and becoming a Bills fan that day!

?The AAC was a great League! It disbanded in ‘50 because the NFL acquired the Rams, Colts & Browns from them. Little known fact, Buffalo was supposed to be among the teams heading to the NFL but was eliminating in the final hours of the deal. Browns instantly became the best team ever in NFL history, appearing in 10 straight League championship games.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re welcome! I love that we were Great! We had no idea at the time how rare this would be..

The Bills manage the feat of being good basically once per generation, to suck enough people in who then perpetuate their fandom despite the years of famine in the in between times...brilliant!! :P

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The Bills manage the feat of being good basically once per generation, to suck enough people in who then perpetuate their fandom despite the years of famine in the in between times...brilliant!! :P

eh, I think THE DROUGHT has had a crippling effect on the historical picture of the team. Starting in ‘60, we were in the playoffs ‘63 through ‘66 with 3 Championship appearances. A schide followed from ‘67 to ‘71, but Saban’s return brought a turnaround from ‘72 through ‘75. Another 4 year schide brought Chuck Knox and another turnaround from ‘79 through the Strike/USFL/Knox quit in ‘83. By ‘87 we were competitive again with Levy and THAT team, with 9 seasons of playoffs & 5 Conference Championship games through ‘99. 

THEN, the crap hit the fan..

• Like (+1) 2

This was the first time I saw color TV. My uncle, who worked at Chevy, could afford a color TV.  He invited a bunch of relatives over and we watched the Bills win 1965 AFL  championship.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Wacka said:

This was the first time I saw color TV. My uncle, who worked at Chevy, could afford a color TV.  He invited a bunch of relatives over and we watched the Bills win 1965 AFL  championship.

That’s a helluva introduction to new technology! I was shocked going to my 1st Bills game, that the Buffalo on the helmets were RED! I’d only ever seen black & white tv and newspaper pictures. When I painted my 1st helmet to Bills, I used black electric tape to make the logos?

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Butch was an absolute Freak! Built like a linebacker, speed of a DB and hands of a Receiver! I don’t think there’s ever been another CB look like him. He holds the team record for career INTS @ 40 in an injury shortened career. I didn’t know he WASN’T on the WOF. ???

WTH?!

WHAT???  That is just wrong and needs fixing. My sister used to babysit their kids on game days. Pretty cool. 

45 minutes ago, Wacka said:

My first experience with color TV was actually at Jack Kemp’s house. I went to school with his son. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

WHAT???  That is just wrong and needs fixing. My sister used to babysit their kids on game days. Pretty cool. 

Yeah, I wanna NOT believe this. Is Helpmenow correct?? I don’t recall anything negative about Butch during or after his playing days that would eliminate him from consideration. Ralph was a richard about things like that. There’s so many names up there now, I don’t bother to read them all, so I’m not sure.

If not, we start the petition now!

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, I wanna NOT believe this. Is Helpmenow correct?? I don’t recall anything negative about Butch during or after his playing days that would eliminate him from consideration. Ralph was a richard about things like that. There’s so many names up there now, I don’t bother to read them all, so I’m not sure.

If not, we start the petition now!

I smashed an egg in my hand and it went all over his suit on time. Long story.... He didn’t kill me! Put him on the Wall, put him in the Hall, get him an express pass to Heaven!

• Haha (+1) 1