Brian Burns Names Bills as Showing Interest

Good article on Burns. Made me interested. He's explosive, smart and serious. Here's an excerpt, including the bit about the Bills in red:

"Burns admits he didn’t truly get into the mental aspect of football until his sophomore year of high school, but he’s leaned heavily on his brother Stanley McClover, a former Auburn defensive end standout and 2006 draft pick, as well as the aforementioned Walker and Lawing. His knowledge has also trickled down to the likes of former four-star prospect and FSU rising sophomore defensive end Xavier Peters, who recently credited Burns with helping him transition from Year 1 to Year 2 in Tallahassee.

“ 'I’d rather learn the knowledge now and be able to apply it in my rookie season than waiting three or four years and saying I wish I knew this as a rookie,' says Burns, who lists the Panthers, Colts, Titans, Cardinals and Bills as the teams showing him the most pre-draft attention. 'When I was a freshman in college I wish I would have taken that more seriously as far as picking other guys’ brains and the legends who came around. But now I don’t want to make that mistake.'

"As soon as Florida State’s disappointing 5–7 season ended without a bowl appearance for the first time in 36 seasons, Burns went to work on his game’s biggest weakness—his mass. From the second week of December up until the combine, Burns scarfed down 4,000 calories a day while training at EXOS in Arizona.

To go from 230 pounds to his current 253-pound weight, Burns would eat eggs, toast and sausage for breakfast. After a workout, he would then have his first protein shake. For lunch it was chicken or steak with brown rice, potatoes and kale, followed by another workout and another shake. He’d head back home and have the dinner that was prepared for him by EXOS. Then he’d maybe bake chicken or cook some pasta (his brother taught him to cook those). And right before bed he’d have a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich to sit on his stomach all night. In all, it added up to six meals a day for two months for 20-plus pounds of added weight."

EDIT:  Sorry, I left out the link:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/04/brian-burns-nfl-draft-2019-florida-state

And this isn't the whole article. There's much more at the link.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Beane and co. seem to be everywhere and involved in everything.  If nothing else, these guys are the hardest working front office in football.  

Yep. Everything I read about Brandon Beane indicates that he is a relentlessly hard worker. He always seems to be on the road. Is this common? I legitimately don't know. He seems to be on the road as much as his scouts. Is this how all GMs operate?

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep. Everything I read about Brandon Beane indicates that he is a relentlessly hard worker. He always seems to be on the road. Is this common? I legitimately don't know. He seems to be on the road as much as his scouts. Is this how all GMs operate?

Well definitely not Whaley. I seem to remember John Butler being on the road scouting a lot back in the day. I think he was our last good GM.

• Like (+1) 3

Makes me nervous when guys make these body transformations for the combine.  Not saying from a steroid or hgh standpoint but whether the body type is something they can maintain long term.  Hate to say his name but Maybin is an example.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Well definitely not Whaley. I seem to remember John Butler being on the road scouting a lot back in the day. I think he was our last good GM.

Whaley regularly mentioned how scouting on the road was his true love; sure the results weren't there since he was better suited for a personnel role than GM, but I don't think any of us ever disliked how much he tried to work and get things right.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Whaley regularly mentioned how scouting on the road was his true love; sure the results weren't there since he was better suited for a personnel role than GM, but I don't think any of us ever disliked how much he tried to work and get things right.

Right?  It's just crazy to me how a negative opinion of someone can shape an entire false narrative of various details about that person.  I'm so happy with Beane, and he seems like the hardest working GM we've had,  but Whaley was on the road scouting, probably, the MOST out of our GMs.  

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Like (+1) 4

55 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Not in first round, yes if available in the second.  Can he excel in the NFL at a higher weight?  If just a speed guy, he will get pushed around IMO.

I doubt he lasts past the middle of the first round.

He’s a first rd pick 100%.  He’s could be the best edge rusher in the draft.  While he may not have the bulk to play 4-3 DE, he’s a perfect fit as 3-4 OLB. He’s going to be very good imo.  Just don’t think he’s going to be a Bill, but I’ve seen crazier things.  Creative playcalling could make him a star

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino of the locked on Bills podcast thinks he is the best pass rusher in the draft. But I would be surprised if he goes top 10. Maybe if we trade down I could see us taking him.

As he says in the article, there's no really good grasp on the general area where he's going to go. He's been consistently mocked everywhere from #6 to #31.

EDIT: Sorry, I left out the link in the OP. I put it there and here it is again:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/04/brian-burns-nfl-draft-2019-florida-state

There's a lot more there in the article.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s a first rd pick 100%.  He’s could be the best edge rusher in the draft.  While he may not have the bulk to play 4-3 DE, he’s a perfect fit as 3-4 OLB. He’s going to be very good imo.  Just don’t think he’s going to be a Bill, but I’ve seen crazier things.  Creative playcalling could make him a star

I'd really like to see the Bills break their mold and go with the stud pass rusher. Hughes isn't the prototypical size they look for at DE but they were forced into it and it's worked out great. The front 4 has to get home. I'm not expecting it either but If they draft Burns I'll be ecstatic.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Not in first round, yes if available in the second.  Can he excel in the NFL at a higher weight?  If just a speed guy, he will get pushed around IMO.

I’ll admit that I’ve got PTSD from Maybin, but I feel the same way. 

• Like (+1) 1