Bills get surprise nod in ESPN Power Ranking article

I was curious to check out the premature power rankings, figuring Buffalo wouldn't get any love.  I was right...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26418488/2019-nfl-power-rankings-post-free-agency-status-reports-all-32-teams

Buffalo slotted in at 24.  No shock, really.  But what surprised me was the embedded video clip.  It asks the question, which team has improved the most.  Browns and Raiders get mentioned first, again no surprise.  But after those two (40 seconds in), I was shocked to hear Buffalo named and given a bit of support.  I mean we see it, but it's nice to at least hear someone unbiased say it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The raiders are only most improved because they sold off all their talent and replaced it with older versions. 

ESPN is worthless. 

We live in a star  f...... world.  In virtually any walk of life, certainly the NFL, the masses respond to star power, as do lazy writers.  They got Antonio Brown, therefore, they are greatly improved.  Maybe.  We will see.  

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Forget the ranking.  The point is, the embedded video actually spoke kindly of the Bills.

That almost scares me. ESPN is following SI down the drain. 

But to be fair, good find and thank you. Seriously. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

We only won six games last year and are picking ninth.  We have an unproven QB.  We should be ahead of the Lions and Broncos but 24th seems about the area we should be in.

I understand what you are saying but I think the point is that we are picking 9th based on last years performance. So that would technically make us 23rd on the rankings. But then if they believe we are one of the most improved teams you would expect that we'd be higher than 23rd and not down a slot at 24th.

Either way I could not care less about power rankings in early April.

Just Rodak parroting Vegas odds for the Bills at 6 wins.

The thing is, so much is going to depend on how well the run game works this season! If they can get back into the top five with the run game which will mean those choices in free agency are working out. Which should also mean the pass blocking is also improved. 

Running the ball and getting Allen to throw more short passes to move the chains should be a huge help to the already decent defense.  

I can see the 2019 Buffalo Bills at 10-6 and even beating the Patriots with that loaded defensive backfield. 

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I understand what you are saying but I think the point is that we are picking 9th based on last years performance. So that would technically make us 23rd on the rankings. But then if they believe we are one of the most improved teams you would expect that we'd be higher than 23rd and not down a slot at 24th.

Either way I could not care less about power rankings in early April.

No.  It would make us 24th.  These national figures put more emphasis on the quarterback so with all things being even Flacco and Stafford are better than Allen and Darnold in their minds.  ESPN is similar to other post free agency power rankings.

NFL.com has us at 25th

USA Today has us at 24th

CBS Sports has us at 24th

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  It would make us 24th.  These national figures put more emphasis on the quarterback so with all things being even Flacco and Stafford are better than Allen and Darnold in their minds.  ESPN is similar to other post free agency power rankings.

NFL.com has us at 25th

USA Today has us at 24th

CBS Sports has us at 24th

As I said I don't really care about April power rankings