The Reason I feel Josh Allen Will Be Great

Great QB’s seem to elevate the play around them. How often do you hear about the lack of talent around successful teams with great QB’s. Hardly ever. Because those QB’s distribute the ball. 

I am am not saying Josh is great. But after returning from injury he was finding ways to make plays. With the offensive line overhaul I see no reason he doesn’t continue to do so. I’d argue that WR is not even close to the same level of need on our offensive side as is TE and RB at this point. I personally feel like RB may even be more critical than TE. 

I remember when Jim Kelly was throwing to Lofton and Reed. The. Lofton left and Beebe started. Then Quin Early, Moulds, etc. It didn’t really matter which receiver rotated in they were productive. Even one season I think Reed got injured and Bill Brooks who was like 3rd on the depth chart stepped up and had a 1,000 yard receiver. 

All the stud QB’s seem to do this. Brady is probably the best example. Brees does it too. Granted having amazing WR talent obviously makes life easier. But the great QB’s just find a way to make it happen. 

I feel the the offensive line improvements are more critical this season than any other improvements. Give the young blood time to make a  decision. We already know he can improvise. 

That being said said in the draft index be happy with BPA.  I do hope the BPA for us is DT, LB, or Hockenson. That’s just me personally. I know the DE argument can and should be made but I have a feeling they plan to circle back to Ansah after the draft if they aren’t able to fill the need this year. I’m sure they realize they can not fill every hole with an all star this season. Draft 2-3 studs/contributors this season. Resign our own next offseason and draft another 2-2 studs/contributors. We can be very competitive this season with our current roster. Post draft if we get 2-3 difference makers then we will be looking great. The argument for offensive line in the draft is legitimate as well but I have a feeling they only go that route if the right guy falls into their lap. 

I am of the mindset that LB is more critical than other people think. Milano is great but recovering. Edmunds looks to be trending the right way. Lorenzo is 36. If the stud from LSU is available I’d be hard pressed letting him slip by. We could always draft him and then move Lorenzo over to DE. He makes plays no matter where he is. That’s LSU LB looks like he’s help in the run and pass defense for sure. Obviously I’d take JA 2.0 or Bosa. But I doubt they are around. Would love Ed oliver or Quinnen Williams. Both to me are game changers. 

All in all all it’s hard not to be excited after the Fa moves. I can’t remember ever being this confident with our FO. Hopeful in the past but never confident. It’s distincly different for me this year. I’m loving what they are doing. 

Edited by Fred Slacks
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Get ready - there are some on this board who will treat optimism like it's a communicable disease...

Well, it has been a vicious cycle the last 20 or so years.  Off season optimism getting crushed pretty much as soon as the games start, yet the optimism is there every year.  You would think there would be more "show me what you got" type Bills fans out there, but it seems like optimism still wins out during the off season and even during a season that isn't going all that well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Are these two parallel threads!? Righteous! I’ll assume so and answer accordingly.

The reasons I feel

I take this to be a function of the basic human existence of a non-sociopath (although I’ve become more numb and less temperamental over time). 

Josh Allen will be great

I agree!

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

Well, it has been a vicious cycle the last 20 or so years.  Off season optimism getting crushed pretty much as soon as the games start, yet the optimism is there every year.  You would think there would be more "show me what you got" type Bills fans out there, but it seems like optimism still wins out during the off season and even during a season that isn't going all that well.

Trust me, I get it. I've been watching this team since 1968 and  have gone through far more lows than highs - like every other Bills fan. However, I still go into each and every season the same way: Optimistic and full of hope. Why not? It's just a game.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Trust me, I get it. I've been watching this team since 1968 and  have gone through far more lows than highs - like every other Bills fan. However, I still go into each and every season the same way: Optimistic and full of hope. Why not? It's just a game.

I was spoiled, I started rooting in 86.  It got good real quick. I have very little optimism for Buffalo sports, I need the teams to start showing me something.

He better get real chummy with Cole (or anyone over the intermediate middle of field). 

Daboll should be able to dial up vertical routes and make the LB's respect Allen's legs and then there should be gaping holes in the D over the middle and RB wheel routes. If he can hit those passes it's going to be a fun offense for once. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I was spoiled, I started rooting in 86.  It got good real quick. I have very little optimism for Buffalo sports, I need the teams to start showing me something.

Haha! My son was born at the beginning of their super bowl years. By the time he was old enough to really follow them, it was over - and too late for him to root for any team but the Bills. Poor bastard...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Haha! My son was born at the beginning of their super bowl years. By the time he was old enough to really follow them, it was over - and too late for him to root for any team but the Bills. Poor bastard...

I have a bunch of nephews in the same boat.  It's a terrible thing, such a shame.

52 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Get ready - there are some on this board who will treat optimism like it's a communicable disease...

True dat!  I actually once thought that being optimistic is what a sports fan does for his team.  Imagine that.  Silly me.

Seriously, I've been smiling a whole lot since JA started showing some life last season.  That last game against the Fins was something special but just a taste of what's to come.  I haven't been this excited about the Bills, genuinely excited not just overly hopeful, in a very long time.  At least we have that right now.

I think this picture says it all:

Dec 2018 Josh Allen leads Bills out in Miami.jpg

Edited by Generic Screen Name 2
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Generic Screen Name 2 said:

True dat!  I actually once thought that being optimistic is what a sports fan does for his team.  Imagine that.  Silly me.

Seriously, I've been smiling a whole lot since JA started showing some life last season.  That last game against the Fins was something special but just a taste of what's to come.  I haven't been this excited about the Bills, genuinely excited not just overly hopeful, in a very long time.  At least we have that right now.

I think this picture says it all:

Dec 2018 Josh Allen leads Bills out in Miami.jpg

I think this picture says Josh started walking before he was supposed to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

My children were born in 2006 and later. We live in California and they rock their Bills gear. When people ask how I’m a Bills fan I tel them I was born in the wrong decade. I was the equivalent of a current patriots fan. The Bills were on TV and they were winning. I didn’t know any better. Most of the time I thought the Bills were an underdog cause they would come from behind and win in the 4th quarter. I thought I was willing them to victory. Only later as I got older did I realize they are just really good and I didn’t know any better. Lol. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

Great QB’s seem to elevate the play around them. How often do you hear about the lack of talent around successful teams with great QB’s. Hardly ever. Because those QB’s distribute the ball. 

I am am not saying Josh is great. But after returning from injury he was finding ways to make plays. With the offensive line overhaul I see no reason he doesn’t continue to do so. I’d argue that WR is not even close to the same level of need on our offensive side as is TE and RB at this point. I personally feel like RB may even be more critical than TE. 

I remember when Jim Kelly was throwing to Lofton and Reed. The. Lofton left and Beebe started. Then Quin Early, Moulds, etc. It didn’t really matter which receiver rotated in they were productive. Even one season I think Reed got injured and Bill Brooks who was like 3rd on the depth chart stepped up and had a 1,000 yard receiver. 

All the stud QB’s seem to do this. Brady is probably the best example. Brees does it too. Granted having amazing WR talent obviously makes life easier. But the great QB’s just find a way to make it happen. 

I feel the the offensive line improvements are more critical this season than any other improvements. Give the young blood time to make a  decision. We already know he can improvise. 

That being said said in the draft index be happy with BPA.  I do hope the BPA for us is DT, LB, or Hockenson. That’s just me personally. I know the DE argument can and should be made but I have a feeling they plan to circle back to Ansah after the draft if they aren’t able to fill the need this year. I’m sure they realize they can not fill every hole with an all star this season. Draft 2-3 studs/contributors this season. Resign our own next offseason and draft another 2-2 studs/contributors. We can be very competitive this season with our current roster. Post draft if we get 2-3 difference makers then we will be looking great. The argument for offensive line in the draft is legitimate as well but I have a feeling they only go that route if the right guy falls into their lap. 

I am of the mindset that LB is more critical than other people think. Milano is great but recovering. Edmunds looks to be trending the right way. Lorenzo is 36. If the stud from LSU is available I’d be hard pressed letting him slip by. We could always draft him and then move Lorenzo over to DE. He makes plays no matter where he is. That’s LSU LB looks like he’s help in the run and pass defense for sure. Obviously I’d take JA 2.0 or Bosa. But I doubt they are around. Would love Ed oliver or Quinnen Williams. Both to me are game changers. 

All in all all it’s hard not to be excited after the Fa moves. I can’t remember ever being this confident with our FO. Hopeful in the past but never confident. It’s distincly different for me this year. I’m loving what they are doing. 

ive been loving it since the Watkins trade.

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Maybe stop watching then? I'm sure someone can let ya know when they are good again, and you can jump right back into being a true fan. Just a suggestion?

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Maybe stop watching then? I'm sure someone can let ya know when they are good again, and you can jump right back into being a true fan. Just a suggestion?

I can watch and B word all I want, fan prerogative. It's up to the team to give fans something to cheer or B word about, not the fans.

Edited by MacGyver