Prediction: Kyler Murray will be an injured bust. #Mechanics

On 4/4/2019 at 12:58 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Size doesn't matter...I said that above. He's short and stocky but his arm mechanics are faulty (dare I say "dangerous")

But... we are told size does matter.  What are us little handed guys to do?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Putin said:

This ^^^

I remember The same was said about Mayfield minus baseball ️ 

too short , too small , 

Here’s the thing. Cardinals GM suffered from recency bias with this decision. Mayfield was said to be short (albeit much much taller than Murray) and he succeeded. If he busted, we aren’t talking Murray anywhere near first overall. The Cardinals GM looked at the one recent example of success of a short QB as the model to project future success. Murray could end up being good, sure, anything can happen. I feel like the risk of busting was far too large for him to be a first overall selection. He is going to be getting tackled by absolute beast athletes who are literally double his weight. 

Edited by Bills2ref

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

But... we are told size does matter.  What are us little handed guys to do?

Some fella above was talking about elongating your spine by hanging upside down...I suppose you could try that for your “hands”. 

It’s all about “free line press speed”.  Analysts will start talking about it more and more this season and Murray fails miserably in this category. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I propose a preseason Tyler vs Fergy cage match on PPV! Sure, that doesn’t prove anything about anything, but reality TV seems to pay! I’d give a dollar to see them back to back, with the hair smushed down! 

On 4/4/2019 at 12:50 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Yeah. I said it. And I don't care about the fact that he's 5'8" tall. We all know shorter QB's have a decent chance at success (see Flutie, Tyrod and Brees)

What I'm referring to here is "throwing mechanics".

Let's all agree that Kyler is a natural baseball athlete. In fact, it's his first love. He chose football but baseball is in his blood; otherwise, there would be no uproar when he chose football.

I've watched a lot of film on QB's each year (see my previous QB evaluation threads where I hone in on mechanics, velocity, accuracy, free line press speed and rapid eye momentum agility (all QB's are scored on these criteria).

Here's what I see with Kyler Murray:

1) Floppy elbow

2) Pseudo side-arm

3) Snaps his wrist on release

4) Eye tracking and target transition is delayed

5) Baseball throwing style for infielders (pushes the ball rather than creating the traditional 90 degree bracket between humerus, ulna, forearm and bicep)

With all this in mind, and given how much I read about and watch baseball (which is significant), there's one condition that no one considered when drafting a baseball player: "baseball elbow". It's the condition which many baseball players suffer from attributable to the snapping motion of ligaments within the elbow joint compartment typically requiring ice immersion therapy and then, surgery for compartment release. He's been throwing this way for so many years he'll never correct the faulty mechanics. He'll be on IR within the first two years and out of football in three years. 

Feel free to re-visit this link in 36 months. I told ya so.

Mahomes has a baseball arm and Kyler made all the throws in college, i dont see his arm being a problem.

His biggest thing, which goes for all QBs , is being able to read defenses and making the right throw.

56 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I See a qb With the best college offense of line going to a team with the worst college offense of line I mean what could happen right

Bad things man baaaad things !

On 4/4/2019 at 1:02 PM, prissythecat said:

So should Arizona go for Remy Issaly instead ? ?

Maybe they can trade for Rosen next offseason.

8 hours ago, Putin said:

This ^^^

I remember The same was said about Mayfield minus baseball ️ 

too short , too small , 

How is some of you dont realize there is a huge difference between 6'1" and 5'8" or 5'10 at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:14 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

So what the OP is saying is that Arizona is too dumb to recognize that he has bad mechanics, has a coaching staff that is too dumb to be able to coach him into better mechanics & Murray is too set in his ways to listen to coaches and work on his mechanics, all because he loves baseball.  While I'm not a fan of Arizona drafting Murray #1 and I think there are a number of red flags from size to the lack of success on dual sports QBs who have baseball contracts (remember Elway was just using the Yankees to get out of Baltimore) and end up playing in the NFL, I think the OP is really reaching on this mechanics thing.

Also, for every QB ever drafted since the advent of message boards, there are numerous posts as to why the guy will be a bust.  I prefer posts that aren't negative on every QB out there, although I will admit that when I heard that EJ was offering stock in his future the 1st thing I said was I want to know how to short that stock.  

PS: I will admit a lot of what I feel is clouded by all the criticism I saw last year on Josh Allen before we drafted him and how stupid any team would be to make him a top 10 pick.   

Except for Andrew Luck.  He was viewed at the time as the safest QB prospect ever drafted since Elway.  Even with Peyton Manning there were reservations due to his lack of mobility and many had Leaf ahead of him on their board.

I'm still up in the air on Allen.  I hated the pick and admit that I wanted us to draft Rosen.  Time will tell who the better QB is.  I like Allen better now compared to last year at this time, but am still concerned about his ability to quickly scan the field and his accuracy.  Teams will adjust to his scrambling threat so he's going to have to show defenses he can beat them with his arm.  I give him about a 30% chance at working out as a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

We’re about 34.33 months early to be revisiting this, as per OP’s suggestion.  ?

I can already sense some backpedaling by critics. I assume the “edit post” function will be the rule in another 30 months or so. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve heard head already working on throwing a baseball like a football. His toss to first has a heluva  spiral 

Throwing ️ like ? (as a left fielder) = ?

Throwing ? like ️ (as a left fielder) = ?

Throwing ? like ️ (as a pitcher) = ??

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mayfield is 6’1

..plenty of guys were advertised as 6' or a tad more (faulty tape??) but had (or are having) productive careers as in Tark, Jurgenson, Russell Wilson, Brees, etc......or consider the flip side....the Seahawks drafted 6'8" Dan McGuire (Mark's brother) #16 in 1991 as the end all-cure all to seeing over the OL.....how did that work out?.....guy is now a cell tower for Verizon....

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, BringBackFergy said:

I watch a lot of baseball. 

At the moment MLB is offering 50% off on their MLB At Bat which lets you watch all out of market major league games.  Just in case you use this service.