Prediction: Kyler Murray will be an injured bust. #Mechanics

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

More of a late season Flutie. I know you’re probably too young to remember, but Flutie couldn’t hold up to the rigors of a 16 game season, let alone playoffs. Murray is of the same ilk and the OP is correct in many of his assumptions so-called “experts” aside.

I know a certain @plenzmd1who will beg to differ. He thinks I remember the day the dinosaurs died. Truth is, I was hungover that day and missed most of the Dino extinction. 

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Actually it's not a "background in anatomy"

I treat patients daily with all kinds of sports related injuries.

I teach throwing mechanics frequently during rehab.

The "90 degree" angle you talk about is used as a guideline because when you drop your elbow below your shoulder while throwing overhand it causes increased valgus stress on the medial elbow complex.

The elbow doesn't abduct.

The shoulder does.

They are referring to not dropping the shoulder below 90 degrees of abduction while throwing.

The 90 degrees of elbow FLEXION is more about accuracy with mechanics, not about injury.

The 90 of SHOULDER ABDUCTION (more precisely being below 90) is what causes elbow injuries.

I suggest YOU do your research.

Watching doesn't mean you understand kinesiology.

Talking about "laxity of his elbow compartment with the baseball style snapping of his wrist" makes no sense.

Laxity in a joint COMPLEX is in regards to this joint capsule and if the ligaments have been stretched/damaged or not.

You are using completely incorrect terminology and trying to talk like you are an expert.

I do this for a living.

I do this for a living too. Baseball and football take up 20 hours a day and I’ve seen numerous instances of baseball players suffering from Protracted Humeral Ulnar Collateral Kineological Syndrome. It’s ok if you haven’t run into that yet. You will. Just having a massage license doesn’t mean you can opine on sports mechanics as referenced in the OP. I know you help people but I do too....QB evaluations. 

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know a certain @plenzmd1who will beg to differ. He thinks I remember the day the dinosaurs died. Truth is, I was hungover that day and missed most of the Dino extinction. 

I don’t want to stray too far off topic, but @plenzmd1 has been know to drink a wee bit too much. Don’t worry about anything he says.

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Science agrees it WAS just one day, when the meteor hit.

Thanks for the insight, Fergy!

IMO, seems like a lot of fancy terminology to say the kid has a flukey throwing motion which could cause him issues down the line. Rivers has a weird throwing motion... Peyton Manning had real choppy mechanics and never threw the tightest spiral. Guys succeed for all kinds of different reasons. Murray seems like he has that stuff that could lead to him being successful. If I'm a GM my main concern with him would be how's he gonna hold up getting knocked around by guys twice his size. 

Maybe coming from folks with an agenda idk but Casserly reported scuttlebutt that he was the worst interviewee that teams had ever seen. Seems like a lot of red flags there. I guess I'm a little surprised that he'll be the first player off the board. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I do this for a living too. Baseball and football take up 20 hours a day and I’ve seen numerous instances of baseball players suffering from Protracted Humeral Ulnar Collateral Kineological Syndrome. It’s ok if you haven’t run into that yet. You will. Just having a massage license doesn’t mean you can opine on sports mechanics as referenced in the OP. I know you help people but I do too....QB evaluations. 

Not a massage therapist.

Nice to see you are good at making things up.

If you want to try and act intelligent and make "evaluations" on players, and to a greater extent, their throwing/body mechanics you should probably spend a few more minutes on Google.

I suggest you learn about kinesiology, joint forces, and arthrokinematics, and how they apply to the mechanisms of orthopedic injuries before you try "evaluating" a QBs throwing mechanics again.

Scouting a player and projecting their future performance is one thing.

It's not an exact science and has a lot of opinion.

Throwing/body mechanics is an exact science, you know, because it is actually science.

There are facts and opinions.

You seem to know nothing about facts in this instance.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

So what the OP is saying is that Arizona is too dumb to recognize that he has bad mechanics, has a coaching staff that is too dumb to be able to coach him into better mechanics & Murray is too set in his ways to listen to coaches and work on his mechanics, all because he loves baseball.  While I'm not a fan of Arizona drafting Murray #1 and I think there are a number of red flags from size to the lack of success on dual sports QBs who have baseball contracts (remember Elway was just using the Yankees to get out of Baltimore) and end up playing in the NFL, I think the OP is really reaching on this mechanics thing.

Also, for every QB ever drafted since the advent of message boards, there are numerous posts as to why the guy will be a bust.  I prefer posts that aren't negative on every QB out there, although I will admit that when I heard that EJ was offering stock in his future the 1st thing I said was I want to know how to short that stock.  

PS: I will admit a lot of what I feel is clouded by all the criticism I saw last year on Josh Allen before we drafted him and how stupid any team would be to make him a top 10 pick.   

Well rgiii had terrible lower body mechanics.

He's basically a case study on how to NOT jump/run to protect your ACL.

There's a ton of literature about his knee and their valgus stressor positioning during his combine jumps.

So sometimes coaches just ignore it because "if it ain't broke yet, don't fix it" until it's too late, and it is broke, and you can't fix it.

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

My left shoulder is killing me! It’s been 3-4 weeks. I’ve even tied my left arm down to my side when I sleep. Can anyone help me???

Chop it off fam.

It's done for.

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Chop it off fam.

It's done for.

Like with my little yard hatchet, or my big bread knife? 

BTW - do I owe you anything for the advice? I have some Meadcoin in my medical savings plan. Do you take Meadcoin?   

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Science agrees it WAS just one day, when the meteor hit.

Thanks for the insight, Fergy!

What does science know? I was THERE! Plenz will tell you! It hit right after brunch where I may have hit the Bloody Mary’s a bit hard. Two is usually my limit, except for always.....and on extinction days. (Oh, and Brontosaurus Eggs Benedict is a meal for sharing! But I digress.) So anyway, by sunup the next day we were back at the beach, wishing we hadn’t invested so heavily in sunscreeen, but having a delightful day. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

shocking. ?

You hurt my feelings, sir ?

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Not a massage therapist.

Nice to see you are good at making things up.

If you want to try and act intelligent and make "evaluations" on players, and to a greater extent, their throwing/body mechanics you should probably spend a few more minutes on Google.

I suggest you learn about kinesiology, joint forces, and arthrokinematics, and how they apply to the mechanisms of orthopedic injuries before you try "evaluating" a QBs throwing mechanics again.

Scouting a player and projecting their future performance is one thing.

It's not an exact science and has a lot of opinion.

Throwing/body mechanics is an exact science, you know, because it is actually science.

There are facts and opinions.

You seem to know nothing about facts in this instance.

Yeah!  You really let him have it!  No room for shenanigans around here.  That’s what I always say.  Arthrokinematics though?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You hurt my feelings, sir ?

Yeah!  You really let him have it!  No room for shenanigans around here.  That’s what I always say.  Arthrokinematics though?

The combination of rolls, spins, and slides that create movements between joint surfaces in the body.

This is very relative in throwing mechanics.

One part of this is the articulation of the glenohumeral joint.

There is an anterior (forward) glide at this joint which helps increase extension and external rotation.

Typically we see your posterior (back) joint capsule being tight, so then it won't allow the orientation of the humeral head against the glenoid fossa to adjust properly during the throwing motion. 

This reduces the range of motion of the shoulder, causing increased stress on the elbow and/or thoracic spine, most notably the thoracolumbar transition at T12-L1, which is why back injuries are not uncommon amongst pitchers.

Hope that helped ?

Edited by SouthNYfan

58 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

The combination of rolls, spins, and slides that create movements between joint surfaces in the body.

This is very relative in throwing mechanics.

One part of this is the articulation of the glenohumeral joint.

There is an anterior (forward) glide at this joint which helps increase extension and external rotation.

Typically we see your posterior (back) joint capsule being tight, so then it won't allow the orientation of the humeral head against the glenoid fossa to adjust properly during the throwing motion. 

This reduces the range of motion of the shoulder, causing increased stress on the elbow and/or thoracic spine, most notably the thoracolumbar transition at T12-L1, which is why back injuries are not uncommon amongst pitchers.

Hope that helped ?

Please stay on topic.