Prediction: Kyler Murray will be an injured bust. #Mechanics

Yeah. I said it. And I don't care about the fact that he's 5'8" tall. We all know shorter QB's have a decent chance at success (see Flutie, Tyrod and Brees)

What I'm referring to here is "throwing mechanics".

Let's all agree that Kyler is a natural baseball athlete. In fact, it's his first love. He chose football but baseball is in his blood; otherwise, there would be no uproar when he chose football.

I've watched a lot of film on QB's each year (see my previous QB evaluation threads where I hone in on mechanics, velocity, accuracy, free line press speed and rapid eye momentum agility (all QB's are scored on these criteria).

Here's what I see with Kyler Murray:

1) Floppy elbow

2) Pseudo side-arm

3) Snaps his wrist on release

4) Eye tracking and target transition is delayed

5) Baseball throwing style for infielders (pushes the ball rather than creating the traditional 90 degree bracket between humerus, ulna, forearm and bicep)

With all this in mind, and given how much I read about and watch baseball (which is significant), there's one condition that no one considered when drafting a baseball player: "baseball elbow". It's the condition which many baseball players suffer from attributable to the snapping motion of ligaments within the elbow joint compartment typically requiring ice immersion therapy and then, surgery for compartment release. He's been throwing this way for so many years he'll never correct the faulty mechanics. He'll be on IR within the first two years and out of football in three years. 

Feel free to re-visit this link in 36 months. I told ya so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Way too many words to say "he's going to get hurt, he's built like a 6th grader"

Size doesn't matter...I said that above. He's short and stocky but his arm mechanics are faulty (dare I say "dangerous")

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yeah. I said it. And I don't care about the fact that he's 5'8" tall. We all know shorter QB's have a decent chance at success (see Flutie, Tyrod and Brees)

Let's all agree that Kyler is a natural baseball athlete. In fact, it's his first love. He chose football but baseball is in his blood; otherwise, there would be no uproar when he chose football.

I've watched a lot of film on QB's each year (see my previous QB evaluation threads where I hone in on mechanics, velocity, accuracy, free line press speed and rapid eye momentum agility (all QB's are scored on these criteria).

1) Floppy elbow

2) Pseudo side-arm

5) Baseball throwing style for infielders (pushes the ball rather than creating the traditional 90 degree bracket between humerus, ulna, forearm and bicep)

With all this in mind, and given how much I read about and watch baseball (which is significant), there's one condition that no one considered when drafting a baseball player: "baseball elbow". It's the condition which many baseball players suffer from attributable to the snapping motion of ligaments within the elbow joint compartment typically requiring ice immersion therapy and then, surgery for compartment release. He's been throwing this way for so many years he'll never correct the faulty mechanics. He'll be on IR within the first two years and out of football in three years. 

So should Arizona go for Remy Issaly instead ? =)

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Size doesn't matter...I said that above. He's short and stocky but his arm mechanics are faulty (dare I say "dangerous")

Size does matter when he's going to get smashed by a DT twice his size and broken in half.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, CountryCletus said:

Fergy, you forgot to mention his posture. He stands too upright in the pocket, he will tip over too easy and take a lot of unnecessary sacks... bound to have knee issues/injuries 

So you think this particular player shouldn't stand upright ....

WOW.

• Haha (+1) 1

So what the OP is saying is that Arizona is too dumb to recognize that he has bad mechanics, has a coaching staff that is too dumb to be able to coach him into better mechanics & Murray is too set in his ways to listen to coaches and work on his mechanics, all because he loves baseball.  While I'm not a fan of Arizona drafting Murray #1 and I think there are a number of red flags from size to the lack of success on dual sports QBs who have baseball contracts (remember Elway was just using the Yankees to get out of Baltimore) and end up playing in the NFL, I think the OP is really reaching on this mechanics thing.

Also, for every QB ever drafted since the advent of message boards, there are numerous posts as to why the guy will be a bust.  I prefer posts that aren't negative on every QB out there, although I will admit that when I heard that EJ was offering stock in his future the 1st thing I said was I want to know how to short that stock.  

PS: I will admit a lot of what I feel is clouded by all the criticism I saw last year on Josh Allen before we drafted him and how stupid any team would be to make him a top 10 pick.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

1) Floppy elbow

2) Pseudo side-arm

This was a brave prediction, thanks. You might very well be right too but imo the Cards would be nuts to not draft him.

Watch their attendance increase, and all that goes along with it (parking, beer, food, jerseys, etc). This is pure profit for an owner because the TV contract covers their payroll and operating expenses. Much of this is also in cash (not to imply that anyone would cheat on their taxes mind you lol).

I completely expect Murray to go at #1 whether he deserves to or not.

Ball is ball... I think he can play (he is small though, and injuries could hurt him), but I don't much care for his attitude. I thought he was legit until I saw that DP interview. Between that, his overall demeanor and decision making with the MLB/NFL thing, and the reports about him, I doubt he'll do much. 

• Like (+1) 1