Ty Dunne: What Happened in Green Bay

On 4/5/2019 at 6:50 AM, billsredneck1 said:

i believe the firing of avp was a big butt burn for rodgers. 

With the rumors that have persisted about Rodgers throughout his career, this could mean a number of things.

I'm only asking for clarification because it concerns AVP, a former Bill.

But those two??

On 4/5/2019 at 3:19 PM, dezertbill said:

This is the difference between journalists such as Tyler Dunne, and your Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleasons of the world.

Here is a guy that has spent the last few years as a beat writer for two teams for local papers.  He cultivated relationships and worked his way up to where he had the resources and relationships to write an amazing piece and put himself on the national map of sports writers.  His career will only take off from here.

Vs. guys like Sully and Gleason who rest on their laurels and reputation for decades, piss off everyone in organizations and end up getting canned and either finding themselves out of the industry, or writing for some less than popular local paper.

My only disagreement with your post is that I doubt many current players are going to think that this a great piece that Dunne wrote, and they might end up just as pissed.

He named names and directly quoted guys talking crazy about their teammates. It doesn't matter if he said "this is on record"--some (most? all?) of these guys have never been the subject of an expose before. These aren't career politicians. The fact that guys are already coming out and refuting their own stories isn't a good look--sure, we all know they said it, but now they regret saying it.

I'm not saying "gotcha" journalism isn't satisfying to get the full story, like this piece, or especially in politics--but when the source of your quotes are guys who might not understand the full impact of their words... and you're just exposing the ineptitude of a pro team (as opposed to a major company dumping pollution in a river and causing cancer)... 

On 4/4/2019 at 11:44 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Super interesting in-depth article by Ty Dunne about the breakup of Aaron Rodgers and mike McCarthy in GB. Dunne covered the Packers before he covered the Bills (and has since moved on the national nfl coverage) so has some access within the organization 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

so Rodgers is a petty child, good luck winning.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:19 PM, dezertbill said:

This is the difference between journalists such as Tyler Dunne, and your Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleasons of the world.

Here is a guy that has spent the last few years as a beat writer for two teams for local papers.  He cultivated relationships and worked his way up to where he had the resources and relationships to write an amazing piece and put himself on the national map of sports writers.  His career will only take off from here.

Vs. guys like Sully and Gleason who rest on their laurels and reputation for decades, piss off everyone in organizations and end up getting canned and either finding themselves out of the industry, or writing for some less than popular local paper.

All of the above is true but also, critically, Dunne can write. His articles are well written, articulate and cohesive. It has long been my argument with Jerry Sullivan that he just can't write. There is absolutely no way that someone with his limited skill would make it in the mainstream media today. The guys on the blogs and the new media sources can give opinions just as well as the mainstream guys. What has to set you apart now as a mainstream media reporter and/or columnist is your skill and writing ability. It wasn't that way 30 years ago. It wasn't even really that way when I started out as a sports journalist in the early 00s. But the world has changed so much in the past 15/18 years and the journalism industry has changed too. 

Re: Marsha vs Aaron debate

Fun facts!

Marsha in his 6 Super Bowl wins: 24.0ppg / 2.09 points per drive

Aaron in his 7 playoff losses: 24.6ppg / 2.39 points per drive

Pats** defenses in 6 Super Bowl wins: 19.2ppg / 1.64 points allowed per drive

Packers defenses in Aaron's 7 playoff losses: 35.4ppg / 3.35 points allowed per drive

This is obviously a limited picture but Belichick is ridiculous.  Absolutely stifles the NFC's best (with exceptions in the Carolina and Atlanta Super Bowls, which they won anyway, and the loss to the Eagles in what ended up being a shootout).  This includes the Warner-led Rams, both losses to the Giants, and holding a very potent 2018 Rams offense to 3 (three!) points in a title game.

Meanwhile the Packers defense regularly folds like a table with a 300lb Bills fan thrown through it.