Ty Dunne: What Happened in Green Bay

48 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Why do people keep calling this guy the GOAT?! Brady beats this clown by a mile for that title. This isn't even a debatable topic.

Exactly. Rodgers is not even close to being in the conversation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Yeah, the common denominator as to why they were so successful with trash rosters on defense. 

Your definition of "success," has been ruined by being a Bills fan.

31 minutes ago, Rico said:

Talent-wise and from a positional perspective Rodgers is in the Top 2 or 3 all-time (Unitas, Peyton & Rodgers IMO) as far as Overall execution as a QB, he is phenomenal in this regard.

I can't believe I am about to say this (I need to wash my mouth out with bleach and clean my hands with battery acid)

Tom Brady is by far the best QB who is able to elevate talent around him. What he has been able to accomplish with an ever changing offense of RBs, WRs and OL is amazing (granted they cheat and know the plays and talk after the helmet communication is supposed to be cut off, but  I digress). When you read the article Rodgers appears to be one of the worst ever in this category. Brady is about winning above everything else, Rodgers is more focused on his shallow ego. In this regard, Rodgers is far from being in this conversation and Brady is the best ever. :sick:

This is the difference between journalists such as Tyler Dunne, and your Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleasons of the world.

Here is a guy that has spent the last few years as a beat writer for two teams for local papers.  He cultivated relationships and worked his way up to where he had the resources and relationships to write an amazing piece and put himself on the national map of sports writers.  His career will only take off from here.

Vs. guys like Sully and Gleason who rest on their laurels and reputation for decades, piss off everyone in organizations and end up getting canned and either finding themselves out of the industry, or writing for some less than popular local paper.

50 minutes ago, Rico said:

I think the criteria needs to be specified.  If you consider wins,  pre-snap recognition, throwing mechanics, and longevity to be important, it's probably Brady.  If you consider it to be a player whose play fully embodied every technical attribute of the prototypical NFL QB, it's probably Peyton Manning.  If you consider it to be mental and physical ability to not only throw from the pocket, but move around and improvise, scramble for a gain, make unconventional plays via unique physical ability, and produce stats and wins while doing it, it could be Rodgers.

If your criteria is all three, and you want to wait about 20 years, it will be Josh Allen. ?

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Your definition of "success," has been ruined by being a Bills fan.

Making the playoffs eight straight years with three NFC Championship game appearances, and a SuperBowl Championship is pretty darn successful. 

Again, Rodgers deserves blame, but he also got that team wins in spite of everything else. Look at the scores in his playoff losses. The offense put up good enough numbers to win. It was never Rodgers fault they lost games when it mattered most IMO. 

2 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I think the criteria needs to be specified.  If you consider wins,  pre-snap recognition, throwing mechanics, and longevity to be important, it's probably Brady.  If you consider it to be a player whose play fully embodied every technical attribute of the prototypical NFL QB, it's probably Peyton Manning.  If you consider it to be mental and physical ability to not only throw from the pocket, but move around and improvise, scramble for a gain, make unconventional plays via unique physical ability, and produce stats and wins while doing it, it could be Rodgers.

If your criteria is all three, and you want to wait about 20 years, it will be Josh Allen. ?

My criteria is about consistently producing wins in the biggest games. That automatically disqualifies Peyton Gump (Big Game Chump). Rodgers has had some entertaining and impressive wins in the playoffs, but still falls far short of the GOAT’s. All JMO, of course.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

My criteria is about consistently producing wins in the biggest games. That automatically disqualifies Peyton Gump (Big Game Chump). Rodgers has had some entertaining and impressive wins in the playoffs, but still fall far short from the GOAT’s. All JMO, of course.

That, of course, makes Brady the GOAT, and Montana close behind, if not right there.  It of course also means Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are pretty up there,  and Dan Marino and Jim Kelly are pretty far down the list.  So there's that.  But the only point made there is that apparently the GOAT list is pretty hard to quantify.

19 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

That, of course, makes Brady the GOAT, and Montana close behind, if not right there.  It of course also means Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are pretty up there,  and Dan Marino and Jim Kelly are pretty far down the list.  So there's that.  But the only point made there is that apparently the GOAT list is pretty hard to quantify.

Not for me, in again JMO. Brady and Joe are definitely at the top of my list, they got the job done many times.... and not just along for the ride, their teams won in good part because of them.

Flacco only had one glorious year, as did Steve Young, neither was money otherwise. Eli had 2 great years, again not so much otherwise... though I would still rather have him in his prime in a big game than his chump brother.

Marino was another great regular season QB who didn’t perform well in the playoffs, not at all.

Of course I’m biased towards Jimbo, but although he never got a ring, he played great in many big games.

Finally, Terry Bradshaw is always brought up as an argument, he has 4 rings, is he one of the greatest too? No, I don’t think so, the biggest thing he had going for him is that he did not make critical mistakes like so many of the usual GOAT candidates did that would’ve cost great Steelers teams championships. For that, he gets much respect from me, but he’s not at the top.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The common denominator is Mccarthy, who is NOT a good coach.

Imagine Brady all of his career with McCarthy and Rodgers all of his career with Bellichick. I think Rodgers would clearly look like the all-time better player. Brady is tremendous, nothing against him. But coaching and game planning and blocking are enormous factors. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Imagine Brady all of his career with McCarthy and Rodgers all of his career with Bellichick. I think Rodgers would clearly look like the all-time better player. Brady is tremendous, nothing against him. But coaching and game planning and blocking are enormous factors. 

Imagine if Gil Perreault went to the Canadiens instead of the Sabres. He’d have won a few Stanley Cups and might even be considered one of THE all-time greats in hockey. But he didn’t. It is what it is. Playing what-if is always fun, but the bottom line reality is what counts.

• Like (+1) 1

Great article.  I always thought McCarthy was one of the more overrated HCs.  Give Rodgers to Jauron or Gailey & you probably would've had similar results.  

I'm also not much of a LaFleur believer, so it will be interesting (to me) to see how this plays out.  

This part made me chuckle:  "McCarthy loved anointing himself as a quarterback guru. The coach often bragged to players about his time with Joe Montana...in Kansas City."  LOL

Rodgers has carried that lousy franchise on his back since they let him start at QB-the guy could have literally gotten the same or even better results quarterbacking the lowly Buffalo Bills over that time period-no QB that ever played the game could have produced as well as Rodgers with that gang (including idiot McCarthy).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Imagine if Gil Perreault went to the Canadiens instead of the Sabres. He’d have won a few Stanley Cups and might even be considered one of THE all-time greats in hockey. But he didn’t. It is what it is. Playing what-if is always fun, but the bottom line reality is what counts.

Agree. But both of those things can simultaneously be true. I think it’s almost inarguable that Brady would struggle with a ***** OL. 

I take it all back now that Greg Jennings is one of the major sources.  Dude has not been bitter at all since he left GB and had a ton of success on his other teams.

it is a well written article but it is completely one sided.  Jordy Nelson said it is nonsense.  And even if it is completely true, I still take Rodgers over every single person who criticized him.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, YoloinOhio said:

On 4/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, YoloinOhio said:

McCarthy, then the 49ersoffensive coordinator, chose Alex Smith No. 1 overall. Not Rodgers.

So the 49'ers hired McCarthy as OC of the worst team in the league and gave him the choice of who to pick 1st overall?  The GM didn't make that decision?  This seems to be something that should be verified. Sounds odd if true.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I take it all back now that Greg Jennings is one of the major sources.  Dude has not been bitter at all since he left GB and had a ton of success on his other teams.

it is a well written article but it is completely one sided.  Jordy Nelson said it is nonsense.  And even if it is completely true, I still take Rodgers over every single person who criticized him.  

There is plenty of support for rodgers in the piece. Jennings just happened to waive anomymity, as did finley. Hardly anyone else did, rodgers’ supporters in particular, but that doesn’t mean that they didn’t speak the truth.