Ty Dunne: What Happened in Green Bay

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow.  Just Wow. 

Thanks for the find, Yolo

Well.  It is reported that when Rodgers met Favre, he greeted him with "good morning, Grandpa!".  Rodgers denies this, but doesn't deny calling Favre "Grandpa" during their joint time in Green Bay.

You do the math

I find the first part hard to believe because Rodgers didn’t have a broken jaw before the first camp... lol 

i guess i never realized Rodgers was such a nice guy...

Edited by whatdrought

Egos should be managed especially if they belong to great QBs. It is much easier to find a decent coach who can ride a great QB to the Superbowl than the other way around. What surprises me is how obstinate the GB front office has been over the McCarthy era. Seeing the dynamics between Rodgers and MM, they should have canned the coach and hired someone who can work within Rodgers ego to win Superbowls. My favorite example is the Bulls' Phil Jackson. 

Plenty of blame to go around, and I am not excusing Rodgers, but sometimes the grand goal is more important than the means (within rules and regulations ofcourse). 

It seems incredible that Rodgers held his draft day grudge against the 49ers OC (McCarthy).

Knowing that the GM typically makes the call on draft choices, how does Rodgers justify holding his grudge against the OC?

I had no idea Aaron Rodgers was such an irrational person.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow.  Just Wow. 

Thanks for the find, Yolo

Well.  It is reported that when Rodgers met Favre, he greeted him with "good morning, Grandpa!".  Rodgers denies this, but doesn't deny calling Favre "Grandpa" during their joint time in Green Bay.

You do the math

Yikes.  Know your role... You were drafted to be heir apparent, and you are eventually literally taking his job.  You should be wanting to learn from the guy, and be humble.  

• Like (+1) 1

Great article.  

When i listen to McD it sounds like they're building to avoid this kind of thing.  Article should be required readi.g for McBeane and Allen.

Belichick and Brady got this right, and that's why they have the rings and McCarthy and Rodgers don't.

If haven't read it, it's worth it.  

Edited by Shaw66

I think the blame goes all the way around with the Packers' demise. Some is lopped on Aaron, more is lopped on the ineptitude of McCarthy, but the most blame should go to Ted Thompson. All of this could have continued to be hidden under the rug if the guy would have embraced building a team with balance. What I mean by that is using both free agency and the draft to build the team, not just the draft. 

Rodgers got a Packers team with the 32nd ranked defense in the league to a 15-1 record. Think about that, a 15-1 record with the worst statistical defense in the league. They lost the wild card that year, I believe, 51-45. If I was a QB, I would be ***** pissed off. 

I'm not trying to absolve Rodgers of blame, but at the end of the day, the team won because of him.

Really great piece. Ty is super talented, always turns out good stuff.

The hang up with this article though, is that it's a lot of "he said this, and then they said that" type of stuff. You have guys like Jennings and Finley who are like, "Rodgers was a baby" while you have Ryan Grant saying, "He's a perfectionist and that's part of what makes him great." And now, some of the players mentioned in the story (but who did not contribute a quote) have spoken out. John Kuhn tweeted earlier that he was never aware of his coach missing any meetings for a massage nor was he ever thrown under the bus by his QB. So... while I'm sure there is merit to all the things that were said, like anything, there are multiple sides to each story. Everyone quoted is speaking from their own perspective with their own feelings mixed in with it. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and I wonder if we'll see some more players who were around during this whole situation speak up.

Either way, definitely a good read and it's really hard to dispute that Rodgers doesn't have a super fragile ego. Even before this piece came out, he's always been seen as a guy who doesn't lead well and a guy who seems to cut out anyone who isn't marching to the beat of his drum. McCarthy on the other hand, has gotta be clueless if he thinks it was his schemes that caused all the success. Seems like both guys probably just needed to swallow their pride some, hash it out and move forward. But they're both too stubborn and arrogant to do that and therefore the whole team suffered. 

Ted Thompson and Mark Murphy sure seem like they could share in the blame as well. Both guys were in authoritative positions but never intervened. I understand most executives wanna let their HC's run the show when it comes to matters directly related to the team but sometimes you gotta go step in.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out. 

6 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I think the blame goes all the way around with the Packers' demise. Some is lopped on Aaron, more is lopped on the ineptitude of McCarthy, but the most blame should go to Ted Thompson. All of this could have continued to be hidden under the rug if the guy would have embraced building a team with balance. What I mean by that is using both free agency and the draft to build the team, not just the draft. 

Rodgers got a Packers team with the 32nd ranked defense in the league to a 15-1 record. Think about that, a 15-1 record with the worst statistical defense in the league. They lost the wild card that year, I believe, 51-45. If I was a QB, I would be ***** pissed off. 

I'm not trying to absolve Rodgers of blame, but at the end of the day, the team won because of him.

This is just disappointing that Rodgers would act in this way. While his talent is undeniable, if not the best ever (statistically speaking), this irrational behaviour tarnishes my image of him (if true- which we can assume given all the evidence over the years). 

Blame can go all around but you expect your quarterback to be the leader of the team. You expect him to be proactive in solving problems and creating a good working environment. I guess the argument can be made that QBs are not always the leaders of the team, even though you'd hope they were. 

Makes you appreciate Tom Brady that much more. Half the physical talent of Rodgers but twice the leader. That's why Tom is considered the GOAT and Aaron Rodgers is "just" a really really good HOF quarterback. 

I'm hoping he can do some self reflecting and develop some humility and turn things around because he's an exceptional talent. 

Hopefully, Josh Allen can be the guy because fortunately, his intangibles are off the charts. 

• Like (+1) 1

McCarthy was not a great Head Coach.

Rodgers may be the biggest douchebag in the history of the sport.

Tom Brady might scream, yell and throw stuff on the sidelines - but at the end of the day, he respects his teammates and his coaches.  That's what makes Brady, "Brady."  And Rodgers' lack of respect for anyone is what makes him, "Rodgers."

McCarthy didn't ruin Aaron Rodgers.   And I don't think Rodgers necessarily ruined McCarthy.  McCarthy allowed Rodgers to call the shots; he allowed Rodgers to disrespect and undermine him.  That's what ruined McCarthy's career.  

It's my opinion that the Packers' failures during Rodgers' tenure are mostly on Aaron Rodgers.  Of course ... he's scoff at the idea.  Because he's such a douche.  And I hope that's his legacy.

18 hours ago, Toesy said:

IMO Rodgers is the GOAT-other than drafting the guy, GB management has been pretty lousy his whole time there-it would bug anybody.

Why do people keep calling this guy the GOAT?! Brady beats this clown by a mile for that title. This isn't even a debatable topic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

McCarthy was not a great Head Coach.

Rodgers may be the biggest douchebag in the history of the sport.

Tom Brady might scream, yell and throw stuff on the sidelines - but at the end of the day, he respects his teammates and his coaches.  That's what makes Brady, "Brady."  And Rodgers' lack of respect for anyone is what makes him, "Rodgers."

McCarthy didn't ruin Aaron Rodgers.   And I don't think Rodgers necessarily ruined McCarthy.  McCarthy allowed Rodgers to call the shots; he allowed Rodgers to disrespect and undermine him.  That's what ruined McCarthy's career.  

It's my opinion that the Packers' failures during Rodgers' tenure are mostly on Aaron Rodgers.  Of course ... he's scoff at the idea.  Because he's such a douche.  And I hope that's his legacy.

How can it be his fault, when the results on the field tell you it isn't. The guy went 15-1 with the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL. How could them losing that Wild Card be his fault when they scored 45 points in a wild-card game and lost. 

There is no way it is mostly on Aaron Rodgers. He gets a portion of the blame but without him, the Packers wouldn't have been nearly as successful. 

5 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Why do people keep calling this guy the GOAT?! Brady beats this clown by a mile for that title. This isn't even a debatable topic.

You can be considered the greatest QB raw talent wise without being the best player in NFL history. IMO. 

Just now, Watkins90 said:

How can it be his fault, when the results on the field tell you it isn't. The guy went 15-1 with the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL. How could them losing that Wild Card be his fault when they scored 45 points in a wild-card game and lost. 

There is no way it is mostly on Aaron Rodgers. He gets a portion of the blame but without him, the Packers wouldn't have been nearly as successful. 

I'm talking about the lack of Packers success during his tenure (as the starter).  The year they went 15-1, their defense was ranked 32 in yards; not total defense.  Let's not pretend that GB's defense has been horrible while Rodgers has been the starting QB.  It's not even close to the truth.  What is truthful is that he's had a lot of talent around him for most of his time in GB and - as a team - they have underachieved.

Individual stats-wise ... yes, Rodgers has been awesome.  First ballot HOF, hands down.

My opinion is that if he wasn't such a selfish, pompous, arrogant ***** - then the Packers would have won far more than one Super Bowl during his time as the starter.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm talking about the lack of Packers success during his tenure (as the starter).  The year they went 15-1, their defense was ranked 32 in yards; not total defense.  Let's not pretend that GB's defense has been horrible while Rodgers has been the starting QB.  It's not even close to the truth.  What is truthful is that he's had a lot of talent around him for most of his time in GB and - as a team - they have underachieved.

Individual stats-wise ... yes, Rodgers has been awesome.  First ballot HOF, hands down.

My opinion is that if he wasn't such a selfish, pompous, arrogant ***** - then the Packers would have won far more than one Super Bowl during his time as the starter.

If the Packer's defense didn't implode every January then they would have won more than one SuperBowl. Dude, look at the results on the field. His arrogance has nothing to do with the defense being utter ***** when it mattered most. Do we not forget the absolute heroics this man has put on display to get his team wins in the Playoffs. If it wasn't for him, after the Packers defense blew a lead against the Seahawks in the 2015 NFC Championship game, it never would have gotten to overtime. He wasn't the one refusing to sign veteran players and letting other guys walk in favor of cheaper rookies like the front office was doing. 

Does the guy deserve some blame. Absolutely. But, the Packer's wouldn't even have been as successful as they were without Rodgers. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

If the Packer's defense didn't implode every January then they would have won more than one SuperBowl. Dude, look at the results on the field. His arrogance has nothing to do with the defense being utter ***** when it mattered most. Do we not forget the absolute heroics this man has put on display to get his team wins in the Playoffs. If it wasn't for him, after the Packers defense blew a lead against the Seahawks in the 2015 NFC Championship game, it never would have gotten to overtime. He wasn't the one refusing to sign veteran players and letting other guys walk in favor of cheaper rookies like the front office was doing. 

Does the guy deserve some blame. Absolutely. But, the Packer's wouldn't even have been as successful as they were without Rodgers. 

One Super Bowl is ridiculous after 11 years.  He's the common denominator.