Ty Dunne: What Happened in Green Bay

Super interesting in-depth article by Ty Dunne about the breakup of Aaron Rodgers and mike McCarthy in GB. Dunne covered the Packers before he covered the Bills (and has since moved on the national nfl coverage) so has some access within the organization 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

There had to be a breaking point. An incident, an argument, a loss, a moment that doomed the football marriage of Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy.      

Anyone could see the Packers quarterback and head coach were headed for divorce well before that inconceivable 20-17 loss to the lowly Cardinals in December, the one that finally got McCarthy fired. Death stares and defiance from Rodgers had been constant for years by then.

But how far back do you have to go to find the beginning of the end?

The worst-kept secret at 1265 Lombardi Avenue was that Rodgers seemed to loathe his coach from the moment McCarthy was hired.

Nobody holds a grudge in any sport like Rodgers. When it comes to Rodgers, grudges do not merrily float away. They stick. They grow. They refuel.

No, Rodgers would not forget that McCarthy had helped perpetuate his four-and-a-half-hour wait in the NFL draft green room the year prior. His nationally televised embarrassment. McCarthy, then the 49ersoffensive coordinator, chose Alex Smith No. 1 overall. Not Rodgers.

No, Rodgers would not take it as a funny accident.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Along with betting the over on the Bills' win totals for next year, I should bet the under on the Packers. 

if they keep loading up that defense they might be really good next year. Another weapon for rodgers and that team will win. Plus a motivated rodgers.

28 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Ever hear the story about how Aaron Rodgers disowned his parents and brother. Seems like a big a-hole.

People's family lives can be super complicated. Many people have families with strained relationships and sometimes wealth only makes the strain worse. Im not going to come down on Rodgers about his personal relationships without knowing both sides of the story.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

What an incredibly reported story. OUTSTANDING job by Ty Dunne.

I think there's a little bit of truth to all of it. I'm sure the coach-QB relationship DID sour. I'm sure Rodgers IS kind of a dick. I'm sure Ted Thompson was a pretty bad GM (which I've always thought). But it's important to remember that a lot of the most negative quotes about Rodgers come from just two guys: Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley. Without knowing the specifics of the way the relationships between those two men and Rodgers played out, its impossible to know how much of what they say is accurate and how much is just them having an axe to grind for some reason or another.

In any case, I'll just say this: I am SO glad that Josh Allen appears to be the polar opposite of how Rodgers is described in this piece. And I'm happy that Sean McDermott seems to be the polar opposite of the way McCarthy is described, too.

For anyone who still doubts that TEAM CULTURE is the most important thing in football, just read this story. They have the greatest quarterback of all time, and what good did it do them once things got shaky? Culture matters.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Dang. Rodgers is a bit of an A-Hole....

What does these new revelations about Rodgers mean for the Favre - Rodgers relationship? Do we still believe the simple answer that Favre was a curmudgeonly old man?

I think the conclusion is they are both egomaniacs...  destined to not be friends.

interesting article. I started noticing the lack of checkdown and chainmovers from AR this past season. Wasn’t sure if it had always been there.

Now it seems it was a personality issue with those players or sabotaging the coach.   

Id be upset if I spent money on packers tickets this past year. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think there's a little bit of truth to all of it. I'm sure the coach-QB relationship DID sour. I'm sure Rodgers IS kind of a dick. I'm sure Ted Thompson was a pretty bad GM (which I've always thought). But it's important to remember that a lot of the most negative quotes about Rodgers come from just two guys: Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley. Without knowing the specifics of the way the relationships between those two men and Rodgers played out, its impossible to know how much of what they say is accurate and how much is just them having an axe to grind for some reason or another.

In any case, I'll just say this: I am SO glad that Josh Allen appears to be the polar opposite of how Rodgers is described in this piece. And I'm happy that Sean McDermott seems to be the polar opposite of the way McCarthy is described, too.

For anyone who still doubts that TEAM CULTURE is the most important thing in football, just read this story. They have the greatest quarterback of all time, and what good did it do them once things got shaky? Culture matters.

1 - can Allen have an ego at this point?  If he gets to Rodgers level, I won’t be surprised if he wants to control more of the way things are run.  All great qbs do.

2 - McCarthy sucked.  He wasn’t a good coach.  He kept the Toupee as his DC for way too long.  He wasn’t even that good of an OC.  He ruined Rodgers’ career.  If Rodgers wasn’t so good, McCarthy would have been fired years ago.  One of the worst coaches in the nfl.

32 minutes ago, Logic said:

A counter arguement can be easily made using the same exact post you made.  The final sentence could be, even with shaky relationships and bad culture - if your QB is awesome and things come together you can win a superbowl and make everyone thing you're one of the best franchises in the league. 

I think culture is BS.   Major team issues are all you need to avoid.  An excellent QB, a coach that can game plan, good/smart enough players at the other positions to execute their part is what matters.  More than everyone really liking or respecting each other.  There's a certain level of respect needed but what gets todays players to buy into that is telling them the selfish benefits. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rodgers is definetely arrogant anyone can see that..he's much more Kobe than dirk Nowitzki . At the same time though..the Packers have wasted nearly his entire career with archaic policy's like Thompson's free agent aversion and mcarthys in game blunders . They could have easily got Marshawn Lynch his college teamate from Buffalo which would have taken them to another level on offence etc ...the Patriots work because Belichick might be a huge jerk but his coaching is brilliant so it erases whatever flaws are in him and toms relationship.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

A counter arguement can be easily made using the same exact post you made.  The final sentence could be, even with shaky relationships and bad culture - if your QB is awesome and things come together you can win a superbowl and make everyone thing you're one of the best franchises in the league. 

I think culture is BS.   Major team issues are all you need to avoid.  An excellent QB, a coach that can game plan, good/smart enough players at the other positions to execute their part is what matters.  More than everyone really liking or respecting each other.  There's a certain level of respect needed but what gets todays players to buy into that is telling them the selfish benefits. 

Well said.  Plenty of awful teams have good culture.  There are girl’s youth soccer teams that have good culture of drinking juice boxes after games that never score goals.  

Winning = culture 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1