Too many draft picks this year

Gisele

On 4/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fair enough, but Beane has drafted well in the mid-late rounds.  Also done well with UDFAs. I’m fine either way.  I trust Beane.

Really?????  He's had exactly 1 draft, and none of the those rookies would have been regular starters until late in the season if there had been any veterans with reasonable talent on the team at the positions that they played.  That includes both Allen and Edmunds as neither the QB nor the MLB positions had NFL quality veterans in 2018.  Lack of competition makes it hard to evaluate if these young players are really good -- or if the alternatives are just so bad.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:43 PM, Augie said:

One cool thought I have is......teams will be interested in our castoffs next season. In the past we were often looking to fill starting slots with some guys who got cut by a team with a stronger roster. A nice reversal. 

Oh, because the Bills will win the off-season ... again???  Teams were interested in the Bills "castoffs" in 2017 and 2018 because McDermott and Beane shed players with actual NFL talent (Gilmore, Wood, Goodwin, Watkins, Taylor, Brown, Darby, Dareus, etc) rather than ST caliber players who only started because there was nobody better on the roster?

22 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd be surprised. I think he's all in on 2019 and correctly views it as a pivotal season. We're in no position to be allocating resources to the future. 

That being said, I expect trade ups in the 2nd, 3rd or late first,.

Why is it "pivotal"?   That Pegula is still contemplating firing Phil Housley as Sabres coach suggests that he's exceptionally tolerant of incompetence, so Beane doesn't have much to worry about, especially if Pegula can add in arena/in stadium gaming to his revenue stream in the near future.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why is it "pivotal"?   That Pegula is still contemplating firing Phil Housley as Sabres coach suggests that he's exceptionally tolerant of incompetence, so Beane doesn't have much to worry about, especially if Pegula can add in arena/in stadium gaming to his revenue stream in the near future.

I suppose I'm an idealist. I'll amend my statement to read it SHOULD be a pivotal year.

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Really?????  He's had exactly 1 draft, and none of the those rookies would have been regular starters until late in the season if there had been any veterans with reasonable talent on the team at the positions that they played.  That includes both Allen and Edmunds as neither the QB nor the MLB positions had NFL quality veterans in 2018.  Lack of competition makes it hard to evaluate if these young players are really good -- or if the alternatives are just so bad.

Oh, because the Bills will win the off-season ... again???  Teams were interested in the Bills "castoffs" in 2017 and 2018 because McDermott and Beane shed players with actual NFL talent (Gilmore, Wood, Goodwin, Watkins, Taylor, Brown, Darby, Dareus, etc) rather than ST caliber players who only started because there was nobody better on the roster?

Can anyone place a large Eyore photo here???

Lordy, I’d hate to wake up if I saw life like that. I get there’s a reality, but there’s also an attitude factor. Best wishes. 

Our recent castoffs were for a reason. Bad contracts, bad attitudes, and bad health, for the most part. Moving forward. 

Edited by Augie

On 4/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, Pete said:

I am sure Beane will walk away with some 2020 picks somehow

Good teams trade out of rounds and stockpile picks. Bad teams move up to target players. Generally speaking of course...