Too many draft picks this year

Gisele

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fair enough, but Beane has drafted well in the mid-late rounds.  Also done well with UDFAs. I’m fine either way.  I trust Beane.

Hmm... I'm not sure I would say he drafted well but I also don't thin k he did any worse than would be expected from the late rounds

Taron Johnson was good.  If healthy he has a chance to be a good nickel/dime guy

Neal was adequate I guess on special teams. I expect they will draft another safety in the 4th round this year.  

Teller would not have started if the Bills were in playoff hunt and was worse than Miller and Ducasse - but showed enough to offer some hope.  I think he will not start in 2019 with the signings to date but I also think he will make the roster.

Ray Ray and Ricky Proehl Jr are terrible

Foster is the obvious good signing but even he was released at one point and still may have issues catching the football.

I count 39 locks to make the roster. As many as 6 free agents signed might not make the roster (Perry, Waddle, Spain, Roberts, M. Alexander, Fisher) and guys like Stanford, Lacey, Pitts, Bodine, Ducasse, McKenzie, Neal could be let go. A draft pick from rounds 1-5 that is cut is a wasted pick, but once you get into the 6th and 7th round you'd hope your team is good enough that those guys don't automatically make it. The Bills cut late rounders last year and the roster wasn't stellar (Austin Proehl). 

This roster isn't so good that having 10 picks (and 6 of 10 in rounds 5-7) is some crazy high number of selections.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You miss all the shots you don’t take.  I’d be fine with (and I expect) Beane trading picks to maneuver around.  I’d also be fine with him drafting 10 players.  

“You miss all the shots you don’t take.”

That is one of the most intelligent remarks I’ve read on this board.  

(I wish someone had told that to UB before the Texas Tech game!  I wish someone would tell it to the Sabres.  God, I wish someone had said it to Cornell last weekend.)

No such thing as ‘too many’ draft picks.  Then, after all is done, there are the UDFAs, like Jason Peters.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Well any draft picks you end up cutting, would have been better to trade for picks next  year.  No point in drafting guys you think have zero chance so making the roster. 

One cool thought I have is......teams will be interested in our castoffs next season. In the past we were often looking to fill starting slots with some guys who got cut by a team with a stronger roster. A nice reversal. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

IMO, QB is the only position that is ever worth trading up for.  Half the time when teams trade up for a player, the player that is traded up for doesn't even end up working out.  The draft is a crap shoot, the best people in the business have admitted as much.  Why make less picks when you can make more?

If they have too many picks this year, I say trade for picks next year since we have a bunch of 1 year contracts... or just use them this year and keep the best/cut or trade the rest

Edited by berg1029

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fair enough, but Beane has drafted well in the mid-late rounds.  Also done well with UDFAs. I’m fine either way.  I trust Beane.

Unlike like how they played out free agency the Bills need to trade up and get quality players not quantity.  

As always it depends on how the draft plays out.  Beane will trade up if there is a specific player he wants when he can get him where it is a good value.  I don't think he has anything against using all 10 picks, however.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

I am sure Beane will walk away with some 2020 picks somehow

I'd be surprised. I think he's all in on 2019 and correctly views it as a pivotal season. We're in no position to be allocating resources to the future. 

That being said, I expect trade ups in the 2nd, 3rd or late first,.

Edited by LSHMEAB

23 hours ago, Gisele said:

With all the free agent signings, there is no way we need all of these picks this year.  Do we consolidate and move up or trade some away to have more next year?  

Need 90. Have 70. 

So thats room for 10 draft picks and 10 UDFAS

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 5:41 PM, Gisele said:

With all the free agent signings, there is no way we need all of these picks this year.  Do we consolidate and move up or trade some away to have more next year?  

Consolidate, move up with from 2nd to first or 3rd to 2nd.

I’d be haggling withTampa to find out what they’d need in the way of our day 3 pick(s) for Gerald McCoy.

They’ve only got 1.7 mill under the cap and that just won’t be enough.

If we could pull in McCoy, would make a trade down more comfortable.  

We’d have a more than solid 3 tech in hand so dropping to 15 or so and picking up another 2nd would be good stuff.

Bills 7 late round picks (4th through 7th) have a total value of 197 points. The equivalent of a mid-third round pick.  Some of the trade-up proposals I see are outrageous. I CAN see picks traded for veterans on expiring contracts, for example, but all this "trade a couple 4's  for a 2nd" are wishful thinking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:29 PM, dlonce said:

They will trade up.

Way too many picks. Go for quality not quantity.

The obvious is round 2 and beyond but you never know.

Yeah I agree and hope we stand pat or move up with our #9.  There is no need to move back in Round 1, get your blue chipper.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:41 AM, Gisele said:

Draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! Draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! Draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! Draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! Draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! And draft picks for you!........(large breath) 

Draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! And draft picks for you! 

Id hate to see you with a real problem... trade em or use em, who says too many draft picks?!?!

IF you actually think that, OR, as you say 2 posts later you think they'll trade up- why not go find one of the bajillion draft topics that already exist and say it there?! Oh right,  bc this is something new no one else has ever considered?‍♂️

Just sayin..

Edited by gobills1212