Too many draft picks this year

Gisele

I think we'll see a lot of this.  They will target guys they want, and move up:

(Bills receive):  (Zay Jones):  Traded a 2nd & 3rd for a higher 2nd & 5th.

» 2017 second-round pick (No. 37): Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina 

» 2017 fifth-round pick (No. 149) -- traded to Falcons

(Rams receive): 
» 2017 second-round pick (No. 44): Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama 

» 2017 third-round pick (No. 91): John Johnson, S, Boston College

---------------------------------------------------------

(Bills receive):  (Dion Dawkins):  Traded a 3rd, 5th, 5th for a 2nd.

» 2017 second-round pick (No. 63): Dion Dawkins, OG, Temple

(Falcons receive): 
» 2017 third-round pick (No. 75): Duke Riley, LB, LSU 

» 2017 fifth-round pick (No. 149): Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State 

» 2017 fifth-round pick (No. 156): Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I definitely think Beane will maneuver around as history would suggest, and I also think he’s going to try to move up a few picks for Q. Willliams or Josh Allen.  But really, is there such a thing as too many draft picks?  We have to bring 90 to TC, right?

Well any draft picks you end up cutting, would have been better to trade for picks next  year.  No point in drafting guys you think have zero chance so making the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

Well any draft picks you end up cutting, would have been better to trade for picks next  year.  No point in drafting guys you think have zero chance so making the roster. 

Fair enough, but Beane has drafted well in the mid-late rounds.  Also done well with UDFAs. I’m fine either way.  I trust Beane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This notion that the Bills have too many picks, and that they need to trade them away, is ridiculous.   What is better, getting a few players drafted in the 6th or 7th round, or guys not drafted who end up signing as UDFA's?

All this means if they keep all the picks, is that they sign fewer players after the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The extra 4th and 5th round picks give them plenty of flexibility. Right now they have:

Round 1 - i pick (9)

Round 2 - 1 pick (41)

Round 3 - 1 pick (75)

Round 4 - 2 picks (113, 132)

Round 5 - 2 picks (148, 159)

Round 6 - 1 pick (182)

Round 7 - 2 picks (227, 230)

They could package the 2nd and 3rd rounder to move back up into the 1st round if someone falls into the 20's.

Across various regimes they have moved around in the 2nd round a lot. So, if they don't move into the 1st, they could use one of their 4's to move up in the 2nd.

Also, they could use the 3rd an done of the extra 4's to pick up an additional 2.

For a team that is draft-pick-needy, they could use volume like a 4 and both 5's to move up/down in the 2nd or 3rd round as well.

And so on...

So many options. I get JW's point about the Bills being more prone to move up than down this year.