Did we land a top 5 GM in Beane?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The ability to try and make a trade for AB and then get turned down just can't be taught. ?

Make bad personnel decisions and then move on.... the talent just radiates from him.

15-17 record so far here....top 5? Best GM in the league for sure.??

has there been a move that the current staff has made that you like?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think what he did last year was brilliant.  The previous GM had talked about being in "QB hell" because they were never bad enough to draft a top quarterback.  Beane collected enough assets to move into the top 10 in a year when being in the top 10 could land a top quarterback.  This year, for example, I am not sure that they would be able to land a quarterback equal to Allen, even if they were in the top 5.  So, they got a quarterback without having to tank and without having mortgage their future by giving away all their picks.

I also love the approach this year.  Build depth and fill needs with solid, but not overly expensive, free agent players....allowing him to go after the best players available in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

Desperate fans wishing so long for salvation after spending decades of being a fan of one of the worst run teams in the league tend to overreact when declaring a savior. It is too early to tell how good a GM Beane will turn out to be.  How many times over the years have fans here raved about winning the off season only to have the team stink it up in the real season?  So far Beane is responsible for one horrible season record. A rookie QB that may, or may not turn out to be a winner. Let's wait till the real season is over and see what our win loss record is, and if, or how far, we went in the playoffs before we judge his performance. Winning the off season is not the goal in the NFL. Neither premature adulation or premature  ***** are a good thing.

Edited by simpleman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The ability to try and make a trade for AB and then get turned down just can't be taught. ?

Make bad personnel decisions and then move on.... the talent just radiates from him.

15-17 record so far here....top 5? Best GM in the league for sure.??

^^^ this guy.  :doh:

You left out "failed with bargain basement FA signings last year."  I mean, come on, if you're going to be you, at least be consistent.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cleaned up salary cap disaster in one year

Wheeled and dealed to get into position to draft a franchise QB

Not afraid to roll the dice on an upside player, and more importantly, not afraid to admit a mistake and cut their ass if it doesn’t work

Addressed O-line and WR,  largest team weaknesses in FA, on team friendly deals without breaking the bank

Still has a top 10 draft pick in his pocket and nine other picks

Should have @$100 million in space next year to extend our own talent instead of watching it walk

Has the stones to go after AB, and the brains to walk away

Gets up in front of the entire NFL and national sports media and tells them all to suck his d*** for bad mouthing Buffalo

We’ll all see how it plays out on the field this season, but I think Beane has this franchise in the best shape it’s been in twenty years

I'll answer this question when we are a top 5 team.  I would admit though he's done a good job so far.

Blemishes

Should have given Nathan Peterman 2 more years

Screwed with Richie Incognito's mind

Practically gave away AJ McCaron to Oakland (5th rounder)

Should have extended Vladimir Ducasse

Also, dumped Kelvin Benjamin just because he dropped a few lousy passes

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 4

Nobody really thought of Howie Roseman as one of the best Executives in the game until he held the Lombardi and we realized "damn, that guy survived riding back seat to a ######, and then quietly rebuilt everything and won a Superbowl." I feel it'll be a similar existence for Beane. He may be highly respected in the league, but until he holds that Lombardi (handed to him by Josh Allen in February 2021), I doubt people will be wiling to say "damn, this guy is a top 5 executive who returned the bills to relevance."

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

giphy.gif

Literally any gif from that movie gets a chuckle from me... 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Remember when we thought we had our QB in Fitz and rewarded him early?

So long as we are the Bills, I can't declare anyone a success until I see it on the field at the end of the season.

BBFS for life!

No.  I remember telling everyone Fitz sucks and it was a terrible contract we would quickly regret when the deal was announced.  Our dumb FO screwed the poooch.  

Beane is a top 5 GM right now and will be in the running even this year for GM of the Year IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

His official role on TBD  is to be the cloud to every silver lining...

...or the turd in the punch bowl, fly in the ointment, party pooper...you know, the guy everyone wants to be or be with!

• Haha (+1) 1