How many players have first round grades on them.

I read somewhere that the browns only have 15 players with 1st round grades i dont if they were blowing smoke because of OBJ trade but i really feel we have alot of depth and in postion to move up for and second elite talent. But when do the elite players stop in the first  any projections? Hard info to find.

Edited by Vickveto

You edited this? I’d hate to see the original draft..

anyway, to whatever point you’re trying to take, there’s approximately a thousand hopefuls every year of which less than 500 get an opportunity. Talent levels are in the eyes of the beholder. Every year, 1st rounders Bust and every year UDFA’s make teams. Everything else is a shot in the dark.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You edited this? I’d hate to see the original draft..

anyway, to whatever point you’re trying to take, there’s approximately a thousand hopefuls every year of which less than 500 get an opportunity. Talent levels are in the eyes of the beholder. Every year, 1st rounders Bust and every year UDFA’s make teams. Everything else is a shot in the dark.

I understand this but the question is to the beat of your knowledge how many guys projected elite talent can come in day 1 and make a impact. I know there are pro bowlers from ever round, but you cant expect 10 draft picks to make the roster with the depth that we have.

53 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

I read somewhere that the browns only have 15 players with 1st round grades i dont if they were blowing smoke because of OBJ trade but i really feel we have alot of depth and in postion to move up for and second elite talent. But when do the elite players stop in the first  any projections? Hard info to find.

What are we trading up for? It would be almost certain we lose our 1st next season. I think we stay put and let the draft fall to us, there are some solid pass rushers like Montez Sweat, Clelin Ferrell or DT like Ed Oliver, Christian Wilkins who could fall to us, why bet the farm when the same caliber of players can fall to us?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I am so tired hearing about the Browns..

I want to beat them next year so bad..

To answer the OP question I will guess 22

When the Browns win their division it will be okay for people to crow about them

It does seem like there is a bigger drop off in talent after the top 16 or so.

That's why I think Beane will either stay at 9, trade up to 5 or 6, or drop down no further than 16.

It doesn’t matter, because the 15 they have 1st round grades on may not go 1-15. The Chargers got Derwin James, 1st team all pro and absolute superstar, at 17 last year. That is where the Browns are (were) drafting this year. There is a huge chance an elite player could have been available for them there. They are saying this to make their trade look better. I think the Bills said the same thing in 2015. They have conviction in the trade being the right move and time will tell if it is, it can’t be judged today. But that’s what they are doing. Means nothing. 

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

By definition there should be 32 guys with first round grades except in years when the Patriots have been caught cheating again.

I think I get the point he was trying to make. I saw an interview years ago with some scouts and GMs, and they said most draft classes only have 15-20 guys with first round grades. Obviously 32 guys will go in the first, it's just the grading system. Doesn't mean a whole lot. 

Something that should be noted here is that there can be a difference between a player that is viewed as a 1st round prospect and a player that is viewed as a first round prospect for a particular team.  Some players just don’t fit certain schemes well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kinda feel bad for OP, you guys are being a bit literal. He’s talking about blue chip players and the drop off with a trade down.

It’s a completely subjective question but relevant to the Bills if they trade back.

I see the blue chip players ending around Pick 10 the Ed Oliver, Devin White, Christian Wilkins range. Of course they could go higher and lower-this is just my opinion. For my taste there are no elite OL, DB, WR, RB QB. Naturally some QBs may go high as will the true blue chippers- edge DT LB1.

Edited by Seoul_panther
  • Like (+1) 3

It’s interesting to consider safe picks versus risky picks. You’re basically talking about the projected ceiling of the player. JA and TE last years Bills first round picks are both potentially high ceiling players. Is this Beane’s preference?

I remember thinking that Christian Mccaffrey was a safe floor player versus the hype surrounding Leonard Fournette who was picked above him. Fournette had a great first year but in the long run McCaffrey looks like a more versatile player and now that all of the predraft stuff has gone away most people would go for CMC. Absolutely nobody had him above Fournette at the time.

I think there is a feeling that the Bills picked up their solid players in FA. I can see them aggressively pursuing the guys they want.

• Like (+1) 1