Bills likely will still draft OL based on pre-draft work

38 minutes ago, bigdogtim said:

I think that you need all of the big uglies that you can get.  These guys can make marginal skill players shine.

Sure, but you can only realistically carry 8 and they've already signed 7 FAs...   Are they committed to dumping everyone but Dion Dawkins now?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This isn’t someone leaking they want to draft a OL. It’s factual visits and workouts. What’s not to believe in this case...

Just the headline of "still likely to draft".

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary having visits and such just to put up a smokescreen.

I remember Buddy Nix saying he specifically didn't meet with EJ (pretty sure it was EJ) because they didn't want other teams to know they were hot on his trail.

In April, it is fair to assume that anything could be just smoke and mirrors.

Maybe you are right, but I'm not buying anything right now.

We need quality, not quantity.  Most of the guys we have signed, while upgrades from last years turnstiles, are relatively unproven as quality starters.  

Going forward, our OL will be built around Dawkins (not sure which position) and Morse.  Spain is only a 1 year deal.  Long has been a roller coaster,  I love the nsekhe signing but I think he’s a LT and he’s 33.  Teller has potential.  Waddle? Eh. Feliciano?  Might be good.  Might suck. 

Maybe 5 of these guys will gel and form a cohesive unit that we can count on, but it’ll require bucking up big time in 1-2 years.

I just think that we should building Josh Allen a wall of protection should be our #1 priority.  We didn’t break the bank for the WRs or TE.  We shouldn’t skimp on OL or we’re going to regret it imo,  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think we should all remember the Bills have historically undervalued Offensive Line since the Kelly-Levy era ended. To me, this is exactly what we've all wanted. A GM and HC invested in the second most important position group in the sport: Offensive Line to protect and aid THE most important position in the sport: QB. 

We don't get to complain for going on 20 years about how bad the Bills have handled the Offensive Line, only to see them take their QB the first year and then go heavy Offensive Line the next year and keep a straight face or any credibility for that matter.

Now, does that mean I think they should go all in on that position group in the first two rounds? No. But, that said. If they're going to err on the side of caution and target Offensive Line in the 2nd and 3rd, I completely understand that as well considering all their fortunes are tied to Josh Allen. No QB can throw behind a terrible line - so making darn sure they have the talent and monsters on the line to do just that - protect their future and generate a Running game - is fine by me.

1st round is probably Defense. But if they trade back, it could be a WR. However, given WR position value, I would prefer the Bills keep their picks where they are. Top 10 talent somewhere, 2nd & 3rd for guys who contribute early but aren't necessarily super stars, and then the rest are value picks. That said, Milano a 5th, Wallace and Foster UDFAs - so great players can come from anywhere. 

I really like this Off-season - and not because of big name splashes, but because there are value adds all over the page of this FA season which means it is strictly BPA for the Bills WITH a QB!!! This is the first time since Kelly that I can relax during this time of year and not have to think the Bills need to win the lotto to get good players. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I expect a RT prospect in the 3-4 round 

I do too BUT Beane has truly got to a BPA place so if a "very good" tackle falls too much in any round I can see the trigger getting pulled.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We need quality, not quantity.  Most of the guys we have signed, while upgrades from last years turnstiles, are relatively unproven as quality starters.  

Going forward, our OL will be built around Dawkins (not sure which position) and Morse.  Spain is only a 1 year deal.  Long has been a roller coaster,  I love the nsekhe signing but I think he’s a LT and he’s 33.  Teller has potential.  Waddle? Eh. Feliciano?  Might be good.  Might suck. 

Maybe 5 of these guys will gel and form a cohesive unit that we can count on, but it’ll require bucking up big time in 1-2 years.

I just think that we should building Josh Allen a wall of protection should be our #1 priority.  We didn’t break the bank for the WRs or TE.  We shouldn’t skimp on OL or we’re going to regret it imo,  

The OL is always being tweaked every year.  Beane doesn't need to do everything this year.  He has increased is odds of fielding a decent OL

this year already.  He is down to a tackle to add to competition as a need this year.

I would be shocked if the Bills do not draft an OT in the first three rounds at least, quite possibly the second.  They need long term OL solutions and the guys signed so far are short term answers, even though upgrades.  Draft and develop should be, and I believe is, the long term plan.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Personally I think they’re all set for the offensive line.. Never hurts to add talent but I’d prefer they wait until round 4 or later, not sure there’s enough spots left to really battle for a spot on that line. Looks pretty stacked to me already. 

I think they draft linemen in order to give them at least one year of practicing with the team without the pressure to start when not ready. I can't imagine Beane hit on all of these free agents. That's why , except for Morse, the contracts are affordable to get out of soon. We have a few years of cap space to play with before Allen and White get potential big deals. Work the cap on getting both lines in good shape.

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think jump starting a truly awful running game will be good for Allen too.  Make-able down and distances, better success on 3rd and shorts, maybe break a few rushes that are longer than 5-10 yards - Can truly see if McCoy has anything left in the tank too.  

This is going to make Daboll's job a lot easier too - having more plays at your disposal with some better blocking up front.

The only locks from the new group are Morse, Nsekhe, Spain, and probably Feliciano.  Long's contract we can get out of if he struggles (i still think he likely sticks as a backup C and swing guard).  Waddle as a backup Tackle also likely makes sense unless we were to bring in someone in the draft - but his contract is also easy to get out of.  Figure you carry 8 on the roster Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Feliciano-Nsekhe with Long Teller Waddle as projected backups pre-draft.  Teller/waddle look like the most likely cuts of that group if we draft people - Waddle only had a 400k signing bonus and teller doesn't play center.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Are they in Wisconsin working out David Edwards? If so I am going to begin thinking Beane is internet stalking me.

Deiter is also an interesting prospect as he has that versatility teams covet; A natural G, but also 16 starts at C and all of 2017 at LT. He struggled mirroring edge rushers at LT, but at G he can be a real road grader and does a decent job at pass pro.

This Bills scouting group, seems to be casting a wide net as they are checking all the boxes as they build their board. I like how Beane looks for a certain level of maturity and professionalism in their prospects too...little things that can make a big difference in how well a drafted player can adapt to being a pro.

Looking forward to this draft.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I do too BUT Beane has truly got to a BPA place so if a "very good" tackle falls too much in any round I can see the trigger getting pulled.

The OL is always being tweaked every year.  Beane doesn't need to do everything this year.  He has increased is odds of fielding a decent OL

this year already.  He is down to a tackle to add to competition as a need this year.

Most units have tweaks every year. The OL is the unit that gets the most out of repetition playing together imo.  It would be nice to have 4-5 guys that JA can count on.  We have to make it a priority to build a top OL unit.  Not a hope and pray OL