With another Guard just signed....was this the plan last year? Is there more traction to moving up this draft?

Ramza86

I feel like the Bills tried to do what they are doing now last season. Especially on the line. 

It just didnt work out that way.

This has been an incredibly active offseason.

Are these trade up rumors more likely now?

I think thos just makes it more likely they go heavy on defence again in the draft this year. It looks like they went heavy of the offence in FA to hopefully get it rebuilt to a point where it wont be costing them games like the last few years, while the defence will continue to get built through the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Last year I thought that they identified their guy.....Josh Allen, and did whatever it took to get him.  Josh Allen, in my opinion, is going to be a superstar.  Great move.  That said, I believe that if they see an individual that they see as a big difference maker.....let's say they are in love with the tackle from Alabama and believe he will be the Aaron Donald type player that can transform the defense....if they want THAT GUY, whoever it is, they will make a move to get him.  

However, Beane has said they won't be drafting for need.....so I think it's also likely they will focus on the 9th pick as a commodity.  If they think that it's a commodity that can be used to get an extra high pick or two, they will do it.

Can't wait.  Also can't wait for the snark for the OP and the alleged redundancy and irrelevance of the post.  Ramza, I hope they're nice to you.  Good point of discussion.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Last year I thought that they identified their guy.....Josh Allen, and did whatever it took to get him.  Josh Allen, in my opinion, is going to be a superstar.  Great move.  That said, I believe that if they see an individual that they see as a big difference maker.....let's say they are in love with the tackle from Alabama and believe he will be the Aaron Donald type player that can transform the defense....if they want THAT GUY, whoever it is, they will make a move to get him.  

However, Beane has said they won't be drafting for need.....so I think it's also likely they will focus on the 9th pick as a commodity.  If they think that it's a commodity that can be used to get an extra high pick or two, they will do it.

Can't wait.  Also can't wait for the snark for the OP and the alleged redundancy and irrelevance of the post.  Ramza, I hope they're nice to you.  Good point of discussion.  

With Beane saying they wont draft for need, I think it's more likely they trade up or stay out to get the guy they want at whatever position it may be. The only way they trade down is if they dont feel any of the top guys in the draft are their guy, or their guy gets picked and the next guy they want can be had much later. Becuase they dont want to draft for need, they dont need to worry about stocking up on picks, they can spend what they have to move around for whomever they want.

15 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I feel like the Bills tried to do what they are doing now last season. Especially on the line. 

I don't understand how you can even put last years and this years FA period in the same sentence? Bills were rubbing pennies together last year , by design , knowing this year they'd have a great deal of funds. They and we knew Bodine and Ducass were not long term answers. They went out this year and really did work on that OL and protecting Allen , setting him up for success. 

I do agree that a move up is definitely possible , if Beane and Co fell in love with a top 5 pick , they definitely created the flexibility to move on up.  This is year 1 of Buffalo being a legit threat in the AFC for years to come , at Least in their minds I think , well mine too . 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't understand how you can even put last years and this years FA period in the same sentence? Bills were rubbing pennies together last year , by design , knowing this year they'd have a great deal of funds. They and we knew Bodine and Ducass were not long term answers. They went out this year and really did work on that OL and protecting Allen , setting him up for success. 

I do agree that a move up is definitely possible , if Beane and Co fell in love with a top 5 pick , they definitely created the flexibility to move on up.  This is year 1 of Buffalo being a legit threat in the AFC for years to come , at Least in their minds I think , well mine too . 

Well Im not sure the OL signings other than Morse are long term solutions. Spain is a one year deal, Nsekhe is old, and the rest are more depth guys. Maybe Long is a guy that can start for a couple years.

I still see no reason to move up. Still have long term issue at RT. And the defense needs a DT and OLB. TE is still a mess as is the long term RB spot.

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I only said that this year's FA is probably what they imagined they wanted last year. Thats all.

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree, last year’s FA was nothing, I’m not even sure anyone from last year’s FA class even makes the team. Who’s left? Going into the draft they have a great deal of flexibility. 

I guess Lotulelei and Murphy will stay, maybe Bodine, but not a lock.

Edited by chris heff

The success of the offensive line is largely due to coaching.  They have a ton of prospects here.  New England somehow gets a bunch of no-names into a cohesive unit.  A few years ago the Giants went to the Super Bowl with two starters cut by the Bills.......Parker and Dusty Ziegler, I think.  

Hopefully our new line coach can coach.  Otherwise, chaos will ensue.  

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

DE is marginal as well. Need a much better pass rush from that spot. 

Agree. I think DE is your OLB in nickel. Lawson is fine in the base defense but has not developed any pass rush. I would be happy with an edge rusher like Gary or Sweat in the first round and TE in the second

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Uhh with what money?

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

There were really no FA acquisitions on the O line last year in comparison to this year most of the O line influx was in the draft sure they had 2 FA additions ? 

I do think this was the plan though to do away with all the dead cap space so they would be able to sign FA with out worrying about how much cap space they had & bringing in Allen in the draft last yr with what was available to protect him they let their contracts run out with the players they had & now the revamp is on !!

The Bills will be much better on the O line this year because from the O line coach on down has been changed & i for one was a huge proponent of getting rid of Juan C good guy average or below coach !

Onward & upward !! GO BILLS !! 

3 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I think it puts Beane exactly where he wants to be. Much like a lot of free agents he targets he now has versatility. 

-He can stay put. Let the draft fall to him and grab the best player.

-He can trade back and get more picks. In the draft, picks=power.

-He can wait until draft night and see if a highly rated player drops a bit. Williams, Allen, Bosa slid to 6 or 7 and I bet he's on it.

With more talent added in FA it doesn't lock him into doing anything out of necessity...he can just step back and make the best available choice.

• Like (+1) 2