Bills draft strategy

58 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You read my mind. Why just the first two? Also, which teams are like "We shouldnt pick any pro bowl guys in the first two rounds"?

Maybe a hard luck GM who's on the hot seat going with the Costanza opposite approach. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Not exactly.   Highest ceiling player available. .......... Consider the choice between a player who has a 97% chance of being a "100" at his position AND a guy who has an 80% chance of being a "130" at his position.  (let's say that there are only 2-4 "130's at that position in the entire league).......... I think they are willing to go the second way and use okay lower draft picks to move up into the first round.   Also, if "those guys" (the freak guys) are not there,  then they go BPA .     (few teams are drafting for need these days)

But... our amps go to “11”. 

It’s no secret that McBeane, I say McBeane because I’m not sure who is the one that initiated having some very “seasoned” veterans on the roster aka Lorenzo, formerly Kyle, McCoy, Gore etc etc which raises a question to me that maybe someone here will know. Is there any elder draft prospects in this draft? Guys who might have been redshirted and/or started college at a later age than normal? Going defense maybe there is a prospect that slides a bit due to age.

Oops, I forgot to reference guys like QB Brandon Weeden. The guy has been in the league for 7 years and is 35 years old.

I've had my epiphany for this draft.  I want the 1st and 2nd round picks to be Ed Oliver and Jerry Tillery.  I miss the days of having Ted Washington and Pat Williams anchoring our #1 D back in 1999.  These two rookie DTs would make our defense downright scary.

I believe the best strategy this yr is to take TJ Hockenson at # 9 or trade bk a few spots and get him .

Secondly trade up into late first hopefully using some of the firepower we got from moving bk a few spots and draft either.

Christian Wilkins 

Jerry Tillery

Jeffrey Simmons

With this strategy we hit on 2 top needs with players that can be impact game changers.

A team I'm hoping we can trade with is the Packers hopefully we swap firsts 9 & 12 and get a 3 & 5 in return. Then we can use our 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th to move bk into late first say pks 25-30 to get that DT we need.  If we can pull this off we still have 3rd from Pack trade a 4th , 2 5s, 6th & 2 7ths to fill other needs. 

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I've had my epiphany for this draft.  I want the 1st and 2nd round picks to be Ed Oliver and Jerry Tillery.  I miss the days of having Ted Washington and Pat Williams anchoring our #1 D back in 1999.  These two rookie DTs would make our defense downright scary.

I like the idea but which one is the space eater? McDermott has had Star in that role on both teams but generally speaking if it weren't him, one DT is tasked with controlling two gaps, occupying blockers and generally making a mess of the interior line where the other one (Kawaan Short in Carolina) is more of a one gap slasher/penetrator. 

I am not super high on Star in general but I get his role and that it won't necessarily show on the stat sheet. Oliver and Tillery each would get excellent scheme fits in the one gap attacking DT role in this scheme, just not next to each other. 

12 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd take it a step further and say go for pro bowl guys with all 10 picks! Why stop at 2?

You can do that.  It would mean that for every draft pick, you looked for the "highest ceiling" player and ignore where the "floor" was on that player.  You would have a lot of misses but might get one good player in the 2nd to 7th round.  You would then have to fill in the roster with hold-overs and free agents.  The danger is that you might have a team sprinkled with great players, that the opponents could work around and attack the weaker players.

I think that beyond the first and maybe high second round, you go for OK/good players to build depth and improve the average quality of your starters.

Sorry for the use of ..... to indicate the gaps where a paragraph end and start should be. I often write on a system where the "enter key" is not a "line feed", that can be followed by a "tab" to give the indentation of a new paragraph,  but is a "publish" key.   Here, I thought I was doing good to not hit  top side of the screen thinking it was the carriage return lever for each new line.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

For years the Bills were floundering in the draft and free agency looking for, or making excuses, for a starting QB. If last year’s strategy works out they’ll have found both the QB and MLB in a single draft. Now...the focus turns to getting a solid and stable core cast of players around them that will grow up and peak in 2020 and 2021 when both Allen and Edmunds are coming into their prime. It’s all about timing. Build both lines and toss in a WR and RB or two.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My gut is telling me that they will take a LT at pick 9 or trade down a few spots and grab one. If Allen can stay healthy he can maximize his development in year 2 because in year 3 I am going to be expecting playoffs and a super bowl push. 

That could very well happen.  I think if there isn't someone that they think is very special- a potential generational type talent-  then the idea of selling lower picks to get that guy is not in play this year.   The couple highest DL will be gone before it is our turn and it would cost way too much to move up. (look at the draft value chart).  It would be nice if we could trade down a bit and then still get almost the same guy as we could at #9 as well as additional lower pick. I think there is not a lot of difference between the top 5 offensive tackles or the 5->10 top defensive linemen.  Maybe a trade down from #9 and a trade up from #40 could give us two good players in the 20's.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

????????

cliffs-notes.png

Strategy last year was to use first two picks for players with very high ceiling but also a low-to-medium floor.  After that they went for best players with good ceiling and good floor.

19 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Essentially it sounds as if the OP is saying you might have a choice between a player who had a real productive college career and a player that for some reason didn't seem to be as productive as one would like, but has elite athleticism and looks as if he might be a generational type player, you role the dice on the potential generational player in the first or second round.  An example might be Rashan Gary, who at 6'4" and 277 lbs ran a ridiculous 4.58 40.  He's strong and has long arms. He is just an incredible athlete.  However, he was not super productive in college.  Some have speculated that his underperformance might have something to do with the way he was used.  On the flip side Christian Wilkins is considered a pretty safe pick.  He's an excellent athlete.  He's technically sound and he's had a long productive college career.  The OP is saying, you gamble on Gary's upside rather than taking the safer pick.  After the first couple rounds, maybe then college production begins to be more of a factor.  At least that's how I take it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JM57 said:

I like the idea but which one is the space eater? McDermott has had Star in that role on both teams but generally speaking if it weren't him, one DT is tasked with controlling two gaps, occupying blockers and generally making a mess of the interior line where the other one (Kawaan Short in Carolina) is more of a one gap slasher/penetrator. 

I am not super high on Star in general but I get his role and that it won't necessarily show on the stat sheet. Oliver and Tillery each would get excellent scheme fits in the one gap attacking DT role in this scheme, just not next to each other. 

Several options here.  Oliver was historically double and triple teamed in college (I know, the pros are different) so in essence, he would be used to being a 'space eater'.  The same goes for Tillery; he was double blocked a lot.  They could take turns lining up alongside Star or they could spell him and be together.  The point is, the only way (short of Brady's retirement or season ending injury) the Bills will probably win the division is by at least splitting games with the Paytoilets.  To do that, you have to beat Brady (think Yoda telling Luke Skywalker "Confront Vader, you must.").  To do THAT, you have to pressure him up the middle.  You can contain with your edge defenders, but their most effective role is keep Brady either in the pocket or stepping up in it.  We must have the immediate pressure from up the gut to slow Brady down.  A couple of stud DTs would help accomplish that.

Just a thought to add to your post. There’s 2 players out there I’m curious where they end up, I could see either or both in Buffalo. The Bills have at different times shown interest in both of them. The first is Jaylon Ferguson, he looks quite impressive and the Bills were one of many teams interested in him. I would think that a 4th rd pick would be a steal for this guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/jaylon-ferguson-visiting-bills-with-giants-and-others-to-follow/

The 2nd player is WR Jalen Robinette. He just seems to fit so much of what McBeane wants in a player. A 6th, possibly a 7th rd pick would make him one of those low risk, high ceiling type player.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jalen-robinette/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/09/jalen-robinette-looking-to-begin-football-career-after-military-commitment/

10 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Just a thought to add to your post. There’s 2 players out there I’m curious where they end up, I could see either or both in Buffalo. The Bills have at different times shown interest in both of them. The first is Jaylon Ferguson, he looks quite impressive and the Bills were one of many teams interested in him. I would think that a 4th rd pick would be a steal for this guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/jaylon-ferguson-visiting-bills-with-giants-and-others-to-follow/

The 2nd player is WR Jalen Robinette. He just seems to fit so much of what McBeane wants in a player. A 6th, possibly a 7th rd pick would make him one of those low risk, high ceiling type player.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jalen-robinette/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/09/jalen-robinette-looking-to-begin-football-career-after-military-commitment/

Ferguson will be gone by rd 3.