Bills draft strategy

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Sorry.....................First two picks, go for pro bowl guys............. After that highest ceiling player available............. Fill "positions of need" with cheap young veterans and even hope that some turn out to be real good. ....................................They went for broke at QB and MLB last year.

I think I get what you’re getting at, tell if I’m accurate. Top picks are used for top talent, no brained, right? Use the mid to later rd picks on players that have dropped for whatever reason but have an extremely high ceiling. No guts, no glory, right? If that’s what you’re saying then I can get on board with that kind of philosophy.

Btw, word to the wise, you don’t have to explain or defend yourself for trying to contribute some Bills’ football talk on a Bills’ message board. Too many sarcastic people around here, giving a guy a hard time for posting an idea about his favorite team. Keep on posting pal, I enjoyed your take on the upcoming draft.✌?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I think I get what you’re getting at, tell if I’m accurate. Top picks are used for top talent, no brained, right? Use the mid to later rd picks on players that have dropped for whatever reason but have an extremely high ceiling. No guts, no glory, right? If that’s what you’re saying then I can get on board with that kind of philosophy.

Btw, word to the wise, you don’t have to explain or defend yourself for trying to contribute some Bills’ football talk on a Bills’ message board. Too many sarcastic people around here, giving a guy a hard time for posting an idea about his favorite team. Keep on posting pal, I enjoyed your take on the upcoming draft.✌?

Well, your underlying premise is wrong, but I think your draft strategy is correct.  

You don't need studs but you need a lot of good players.  Beane has said you get those on the draft.  

I wont be surprised if the Bill's trade out of 9 so they can picked later in the first round and twice in the second.  

You need talent, but most teams have that. What often separates the top teams from the pack is having guys whose talents fit the team's strategy & who play well together.

Based on their approach thus far I think they're looking for the most talented players that fit their vision & will mesh well with the rest of the team, wrt both skill set & personality.

For example, I doubt they'd draft Greedy Williams even if he were the most talented option because a press/man CB isn't a good fit on this D.

Similarly, I doubt they'd burn a high pick on someone they thought might lack motivation or cause problems in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Essentially it sounds as if the OP is saying you might have a choice between a player who had a real productive college career and a player that for some reason didn't seem to be as productive as one would like, but has elite athleticism and looks as if he might be a generational type player, you role the dice on the potential generational player in the first or second round.  An example might be Rashan Gary, who at 6'4" and 277 lbs ran a ridiculous 4.58 40.  He's strong and has long arms. He is just an incredible athlete.  However, he was not super productive in college.  Some have speculated that his underperformance might have something to do with the way he was used.  On the flip side Christian Wilkins is considered a pretty safe pick.  He's an excellent athlete.  He's technically sound and he's had a long productive college career.  The OP is saying, you gamble on Gary's upside rather than taking the safer pick.  After the first couple rounds, maybe then college production begins to be more of a factor.  At least that's how I take it.

Thank you.  You explained and said it much better than I did.   Usually it takes a while to get a concept sorted out into a clear explanation.  I think that is what they did with both last year's 1st round picks.  It looks like Allen worked and Edmunds (first teenager drafted in theFIRST ROUND nfl since 2007) is still a TBD.  My guess is that if we see them trade up, they are going for what they think is a very high ceiling player and if they trade down, they think there are a lot of similar players and want to get the most for their draft picks.

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They allow pro-bowl guys to enter the draft? 

I think they used to but have stopped it because of some union problem......

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Buffalo needs to get guys who will help them score more points than their opponent.  And, then get players who help them stop the other team from scoring points.  If they can do that, I think they'll win at least 10 games.  And if they win 10 games, I expect they'll have a playoff team.   

That sounds like a Frank Caliendo Madden impression.  Is Brett Favre available?  ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Essentially it sounds as if the OP is saying you might have a choice between a player who had a real productive college career and a player that for some reason didn't seem to be as productive as one would like, but has elite athleticism and looks as if he might be a generational type player, you role the dice on the potential generational player in the first or second round.  An example might be Rashan Gary, who at 6'4" and 277 lbs ran a ridiculous 4.58 40.  He's strong and has long arms. He is just an incredible athlete.  However, he was not super productive in college.  Some have speculated that his underperformance might have something to do with the way he was used.  On the flip side Christian Wilkins is considered a pretty safe pick.  He's an excellent athlete.  He's technically sound and he's had a long productive college career.  The OP is saying, you gamble on Gary's upside rather than taking the safer pick.  After the first couple rounds, maybe then college production begins to be more of a factor.  At least that's how I take it.

thank you for translating.

It's an interesting debate Gary vs Wilkins vs Oliver.  One can make a strong argument for any of them to be drafted higher than the other two

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Sorry.....................First two picks, go for pro bowl guys............. After that highest ceiling player available............. Fill "positions of need" with cheap young veterans and even hope that some turn out to be real good. ....................................They went for broke at QB and MLB last year.

Im sorry, can you repeat this?

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It sounds like you're stating the obvious: Draft bpa.

No foolish man! Not BPA. HCPA. Huge difference.  Jeesh!

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

whats..............with.....................all..................the.... ......................................... ......?

Its........like.........when......the.......reality...  ...tv..... shows......pause......for.......effect......

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I'd take it a step further and say go for pro bowl guys with all 10 picks! Why stop at 2?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

So they should draft potential Hall of Famers with their first two picks.  I like it!

Why not draft potential HoFers with every pick?

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I'd take it a step further and say go for pro bowl guys with all 10 picks! Why stop at 2?

You read my mind. Why just the first two? Also, which teams are like "We shouldnt pick any pro bowl guys in the first two rounds"?

• Haha (+1) 2

Hey, I think we should take BPA then get some diamonds in the rough, high ceiling guys. Is that what your saying? That was the longest paragraph ever if thats what your trying to say. 

30 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

To piggyback on the OP’s strategy, my thought is to draft guys with low ceilings and high bottoms - they’re typically average but at least you’ll know what you’re getting. 

That sounds kinda naughty ?

5 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Highest ceiling player.

I like that.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

To piggyback on the OP’s strategy, my thought is to draft guys with low ceilings and high bottoms - they’re typically average but at least you’ll know what you’re getting. 

actually you need to do that as well.

Figured it humor cause i laughed when i first read it ; )
But honestly its valid.

here is what i think since you asked.... Beane does Free agency that way. Noticeable this year.
maybe he has hopes for more under the regimen McDermott runs  potential ceiling raisers.
But i think he knows the guys he brought in  are all serviceable or better.
high bottoms are okay by me.

Morse was the splash. and a very refined one. exactly what they need at a critical position as player and Allens development. : )

Edited by 3rdand12