Julio Jones doesn't care about being highest paid WR

Herc11

14 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Of course he wants a new contract, but it's refreshing to hear a player say that being the highest paid isn't his priority. He even stated how important it is to be able to keep other players around, which shows he's not a selfish teammate. That definitely sounds like a McBeane type attitude to me.

Again, why is it “refreshing?”

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd give up a first round pick in a heartbeat for Julio. 

That's a laughable trade. You think the Falcons would give us Julio just to move up 5 spots??

The guys a perennial top 5 reciever in the league. 

If there is a game changing defensive player for them? absolutely. Their defense was horrendous last year and needs to be fixed badly. If a player they would really like drops, why wouldn't they?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

It will take more than that. A lot more. 

Julios an all pro WR. You think they'd trade him away just to move up 5 spots in the draft? You are dreaming.

If you paid attention to my post you quoted earlier, I said a swap of firsts this year aling with a second round pick this year and a 3rd round pick next year. So it's not just a swap of firsts

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, why is it “refreshing?”

My apologies, I didn't see you ask it the first time. In a world with players that are only out for themselves such as OBJ, its nice to see someone that thinks about the team as well.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

he makes close to $10M now....probably wants a few million more....he may say being the highest isn't a priority but he certainly wants to be close

I don't doubt that.

55 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

My apologies, I didn't see you ask it the first time. In a world with players that are only out for themselves such as OBJ, its nice to see someone that thinks about the team as well.

I don't doubt that.

To my original question then, “why shouldn’t they be out for themselves?” The team can cut ties and cancel a contract whenever they want. Why shouldn’t the players be able to do the same? Why is it a bad thing to maximize your worth? Their earning window is less than 10 years long. Why is it bad to make as much as you can in that period? I will NEVER understand that logic and I give my reasons in an earlier post.

The team isn’t ever in jeopardy of running out of money or space. It is so, so, so, so easy to create. That is something that the owner’s hide behind to not pay a player more. It’s a bs reason. You aren’t “hurting the team” by asking for more money. You are hurting the billionaires that have to pay it. Again, why root for billionaires over millionaires?

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Tom is in a unique situation.  His wife is the main bread winner in their family.  For as much as Tom has made in his career, Gisele has made much more modeling.  It's easy to accept less when your paycheck is basically spare change in the household. When Tom retires Gisele will keep bringing in an 8 figure salary for years to come.  She was tied for the 5th highest paid runway model last year at a cool $10 million in earnings.

Gisele doesn't mind if Tom decides to take a discount on his nice little NFL hobby.

Career Earnings;

Gisele  $386 million

Tom    $197.2 million

Tom is now the main breadwinner in the household given that Gisele's modeling prime has pretty much ended. He made $22 million last year ($14 million from the Pats and $8 million in endorsements) and she made $10 million: https://www.boston.com/culture/celebs/2018/12/14/gisele-bundchen-highest-paid-model-2018 . Regardless, him taking a little less to make his team beter pays off in the end because of all the outside cash that comes with being the GOAT and and all-time legend on  a perennial championship team in a major-market city. Basically, he'll be paid a lot for pretty much whatever he does the rest of his life. He's actually a terrible example for the argument about players like Jones. He's truly unique.

Edited by dave mcbride

Beyond what Brady makes for playing football, I'm sure he makes millions on endorsement deals too.  Bundchen made 30 million plus in 2016 dropping to 10 million between July 1,  2017 and June 30, 2018, the latest one year time period for which there is a public record.  Given their career earnings, they probably have amassed a significant fortune.  If they have invested wisely they probably make more off their investments than they do income from employment.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why would Atlanta trade Julio again? 

They wouldn't.  He's not a trouble-maker like AB or OBJ.

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Beyond what Brady makes for playing football, I'm sure he makes millions on endorsement deals too.  Bundchen made 30 million plus in 2016 dropping to 10 million between July 1,  2017 and June 30, 2018, the latest one year time period for which there is a public record.  Given their career earnings, they probably have amassed a significant fortune.  If they have invested wisely they probably make more off their investments than they do income from employment.

They say he's also getting paid under the table by Bobby.

23 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

See above: She made $10 million last year and he made $22 million. Just like athletes, models have a shelf life.

18 hours ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

I still think in the next few years ant brown will be better. Julio is kind of slowing down and relies on straight athletic ability, brown is a crisp route runner but if couldve had either wouldve been amazing

hasnt gone below 83/1400 in over 5 years. 113/1700 last year, what at all makes you think hes slowing down.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

To my original question then, “why shouldn’t they be out for themselves?” The team can cut ties and cancel a contract whenever they want. Why shouldn’t the players be able to do the same? Why is it a bad thing to maximize your worth? Their earning window is less than 10 years long. Why is it bad to make as much as you can in that period? I will NEVER understand that logic and I give my reasons in an earlier post.

The team isn’t ever in jeopardy of running out of money or space. It is so, so, so, so easy to create. That is something that the owner’s hide behind to not pay a player more. It’s a bs reason. You aren’t “hurting the team” by asking for more money. You are hurting the billionaires that have to pay it. Again, why root for billionaires over millionaires?

Point to where I said they shouldn't. Let me help you, you won't find it because I never said it. What I was saying was that I think its a positive when you have a top rated player that knows the importance of keeping more than just him on the roster.

Earning window of 10 years, huh? I can care less about that. Most starters in the NFL make more money in 1 year playing a game than I will in my lifetime. They only go bankrupt because they don't know how to not spend that money. So you don't think a QB that is getting $30 M per isn't limiting the team? Or a WR make $20 M per isn't? You got save somewhere on the team after having those kinds of contracts. There's a reason why the draft is so valuable now... Rookie contracts that can keep star players and fill the team out for cheap for 4-5 years. This is exactly McBeane's strategy if you haven't noticed.

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why would Atlanta trade Julio again? 

I think asking very nicely and politely will help. If we grovel a bit, maybe a 5th rounder will do it. Oh, and while we’re at it, maybe we can talk to him about a restructure to lower the cap hit. Take him to Anderson’s afterward for some beef on weck and a cone? Loganberry just might change his life!  That should do it, right?